Profile for Mr. B. Mcmullen > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. Mcmullen

Mr. B. Mcmullen "Ben McMullen" (Wigan, England)

Spirit of Christmas
Spirit of Christmas

3.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as good as his previous Christmas CDs, 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Spirit of Christmas (Audio CD)
Nowhere near as good as his previous Christmas CDs. Lack of carols, lack of choirs. Quite secular. A pointless reworking of two older tracks.

Theodore And Friends
Theodore And Friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally reissued CD with bonus tracks!, 3 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Theodore And Friends (Audio CD)
Theodore and Friends is, without question, the best of the four albums released by The Adventures. It was a terrible shame that the group never managed to break through and achieve the commercial success they richly deserved. This album nearly made it, but never quite penetrated the consciousness of the public. The wonderful 2nd and 3rd singles - Send my heart, Feel the raindrops should have been top ten.

At last the album has been given a long overdue re-release on CD and this time it boasts some great extra tracks - bsides and extended mixes from the original 12" singles. Sadly, two extended mixes are missing (Another Silent Day, Two Rivers) and these would have been better than the couple of live tracks that have been included.

The new sleeve notes are refreshingly honest. Just a couple of minor quibbles: it says there were 5 singles released from the album which is incorrect. Also, the booklet shows the cover for the Two Rivers single but not the other three singles.

But all in all, a brilliant package from my favourite ever band.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2009 6:44 PM BST

Eyes of Innocence
Eyes of Innocence
Offered by themusicmerchant

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning debut, 26 May 2007
This review is from: Eyes of Innocence (Audio CD)
Bridin's first album is a joy to listen. I suppose the nearest description to her style would be "adult chilled out pop". She differs from her elder sisters, Moya and Enya, but the voice has the hallmarks of a Brennan.

The tracks on this debut have been written by Bridin herself. The real standouts are: 'You can't hurt me', 'Where's your love', 'Hang on' and 'Power of three'.

I just hope motherhood doesn't delay her from recording and releasing a follow up.

The Circling Hour
The Circling Hour
Offered by Qoolist

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth the wait., 22 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Circling Hour (Audio CD)
I have to agree with what Ian from Delaware has written. I too find this to be a very disappointing album.

I have been an Iona fan since the debut album. I think the group were at their absolute best with Journey into the morn, but there was also much I liked about Open Sky.

I just don't get this album. I have tried to like it and I will persevere a bit longer. I think the album gets off to a terrible start with Joanne's strange vocal. Something just doesn't work for me.

I kind of crave simplicity. I am tiring of the rather self-indulgent tedious lengthy tracks. I would love to hear something like 'Revelation' or 'Treasure' 'Murlough Bay', 'Lindisfarne', 'Hinbar' etc. So far only the song 'Factory of Magnificent Souls' moves me to any degree.

I also think they are taking too long between albums. They need to regroup, rethink and come back in 2008 with something better than this. I know they have it in them.

Boxed [Complete Boxset] [8CD]
Boxed [Complete Boxset] [8CD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but ok, 5 Jan. 2006
It's pretty much been said by others.
I was disappointed that the box set contained nothing apart from the albums. I kind of thought there would be some sort of bonus to buying the complete box set rather than the eight albums individually. There is no extra art work or booklet or CD.
The eight albums look great packaged together.
But I'm disappointed at:
1. No lyrics
2. The written notes to each album become irritating with more reading. They are terribly gushing. To read them you would think that WE TOO ARE ONE was a fantastic album when, really, it was nothing of the sort.
3. Not all the Bsides are included. This is the worst mistake.
4. No 1984 album
5. No Touch Dance album
6. No Live album
7. Neither of the two new tracks.
But it looks good and it's better than not having a box set at all. It just could have been so much better.