ARRAY(0x992d0be8)

Profile for Jennifer > Reviews

Content by Jennifer

Jennifer "Jen the friendly student" (Land of the sane...)

Page: 1 | 2
Radiopaq Dots Nano Technology Earphones - Pink
Radiopaq Dots Nano Technology Earphones - Pink

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice colour, shame about everything else., 18 Feb 2011
I bought these when my favourite pair of marshmallow headphones finally called it a day while I was away from homeJVC HA-FX34-PE - In Ear Marshmallow Headphones - Pink. These looked similar and promised noise cancellation and good sound. I got neither.

I've only had them for a short while, less than two weeks but the earpiece on one has already broken apart.
The sound quality isn't great, it does cancel out noise somewhat, but the sound quality of the headphones themselves are pretty crap to be honest. Usually I'd say you get what you pay for and, although they are only about [], even when you take them out of the packaging they look more like the cheap sets you can get for under a fiver. In my opinion they just weren't worth the money.

I'm really dissapointed and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on them.

Toni & Guy TG5388UK Tourmaline Wave & Curl Tong 38mm
Toni & Guy TG5388UK Tourmaline Wave & Curl Tong 38mm

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably better for long thick hair, 9 Feb 2011
It's early days, but I've tried to use these a few times and I'm not sure whether my hair is just too thin or if the tongs were meant for longer hair, i.e. around the bust-line or lower. With a lot of practice and with copious amounts of hairspray I can just about make a slight wave at the very ends of my hair. On a more positive note the tongs heat up quite quickly and the ionic coating didn't tug at my hair like some of the others have.

I'd suggest instead using a slimmer set of tongs and leaving them in the hair for less time and brushing them out gently will give you some nice waves.

Ideally, if you have very long hair these would be a good buy, but if your hair is collarbone level and fine these aren't the tongs for you.On the plus side at least my sister can get a new set of curling tongs for her thick wavy hair.

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires)
The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires)
by Rachel Caine
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this series, 4 Sep 2008
As soon as I picked the first morganvie vampire book up I was sucked in. The characters are really well written and realistic, you care a lot about what happens to them almost as soon as you read the first chapter.

The second book in the series picks up exactly where the first left off. Shane's crazy vampire hunting dad has shown up and is threatening to land shane in a world of trouble. Michael has to make a life changing decision that will pull the friends into a divide that may never heal. Eve's past comes back to haunt her and she fights to protect her friends from someone who would use the people she cares about to get to her. New characters come into play and old one's show their true colours in this second installment is the series. It never lets up on the excitement and I ended up reading well past midnight just so I could find out what happens.

The series never lets up on exciting plots and every book leaves you wanting more. I've ordered copies of every one after this, and I'm usually very picky. It's an instant favourite.

The blurb doesn't do the book justice either, it's just a great series and I'm glad I decided to buy them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2009 9:44 PM BST

Glass Houses:  The Morganville Vampires Book 1
Glass Houses: The Morganville Vampires Book 1
by Rachel Caine
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series, instant favourite on my bookshelf, 18 Aug 2008
I'm the first person to review this that was the target audience (18) and I have to say that I really enjoyed it and couldn't get a hold of the next two in the series fast enough.

As soon as I picked it up I got sucked in. The characters drew me in and I found that I liked all the characters fairly quickly and came to care about what happened to them. Their actions and the way they spoke to each other felt very real too which made me believe in the world that the author created.

The series focuses on Claire Danvers, a sixteen-year-old advanced placement student in Morganvile Texas University. At first the only thing she has to deal with are some malicious dorm girls that are determined to make her time there a misery. After almost killing her she leaves the dorms and looks for off-campus housing where she meets the people who will soon become the most important people in her life. Eve Rosser, Shane Collins and Michael Glass. She soon finds out that the town of Morganville is hiding a seemingly impossible secret to everybody except those that live there. The town is run by vampires and once you enter you can never leave. Not only that but she also discovers that her new friends have secrets of their own. Some that threaten to tear them apart.
I thought that it was refreshing that the main female characters were not fashion and boy obsessed which is a change from most books aimed at my age which I find patronising and boring.

It was a great read and I'm looking forward to the next in the series, I hear that the author is on her eighth and the rights to film/tv have been sold which is really exciting. I'm impatiently waiting for the fith book to come out and have started to look at her other works.

Creative Zen Stone Plus 2GB MP3 Player - Black
Creative Zen Stone Plus 2GB MP3 Player - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars doesn't like woolworths downloaded music, 4 July 2008
I would have originally have given this a four star. The only real problems that I had with it up till now were the battery life which I fixed with an upgrade and the player getting jammed and having to be formatted, that hasn't been a problem since.

I now have an extremley irritating problem that it doesn't support subscription content (??? me either), anyway it means that you can't import files from places like woolworths which uses subscription content. I'm useless with stuff like this, it was bought as a gift and so had I known I would have told my parents to get me another make as I now have a lot of tracks that are limited to my computer only...other than that it's a good player if you only want to use it on a short journey or day to day. Also, be aware that the only way to charge it is through a computer, not good for long distance traveling, you need to buy a battery seperatley...hope this helps

Bizenghast Volume 1: v. 1
Bizenghast Volume 1: v. 1
by M. Alice LeGrow

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Original, 19 May 2008
I loved this, me and my sister love manga like fruits basket, Kare First love to name a couple.

It's the most original manga I have ever read, the drawings are amazing and the story itself hooks you right from the first page. It's about two people; Dinah and Vincent.

They live in an old gothic town called Bizenghast where there are lots of secrets. Dinah is a young girl who thinks she can see ghosts that haunt her in her home and in the spooky ruined town she lives in.

Her best friend Vincent is the only person that can help her. They sneak out one day and find an abandoned graveyard that seems to appear and dissapear, they decide to check it out, tresspassing into an old mausoleum they find themselves contraced by the spirits of the mausoleum to help souls that are either too unhappy, confused or angry to pass on.

They have to free every spirit trapped to earn freedom. This takes them into the worlds o the spirits with vivid illustrations and great storytelling. Every world they enter is the lost souls reality and things can somtimes get messy, involving them, they have to find a way out and help the soul every night before dawn.

I'm not brilliant at describing things, but this is definatley not something to miss. There aren't many reviews on this site about manga, but if you're going to read any manga I suggest you start here, you won't regret it, I didn't.

Creative Zen Stone Plus Silicon Skin Pink
Creative Zen Stone Plus Silicon Skin Pink
Offered by Kikatek
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Clip is too easy to snap, 1 Mar 2008
I would agree with the review that it was very fragile, the skin was fine for me though. It was the clip that broke on the first day I got it, you need to be extremly careful with it, you shouldn't try to put it in your jeans pocket like I did or it's just going to snap. The skin itself was fine for me though.

Strictly Ballroom [Collector's Edition] [DVD] [1992]
Strictly Ballroom [Collector's Edition] [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Paul Mercurio
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody deserves to see this, 5 Feb 2008
I saw this film at a young age. I'm 18 now and it really had a lasing effect on me. Baz Luhrman tells the story of scot hastings, a ballroom champion who is sick of dancing the same steps. His family and friends are annoyed by this and his urge to do his own steps which would stop him from winning the pan pacifics. He rebels and looses his dance partner. In the time to find a new one he meets Fran, a shy self consious girl who is the ridicule of the dance class. She encourages him to dance with her, the two begin to form a friendship which soon turns to romance. The once shy and self consious fran grows as a person and we see a different side to her. I also appreciate how her apprarance never changes even though she does. She does'nt suddenly take off her glasses and let her hair down and she sudenly looks like Angelina Joile. She stays the same which I loved. There's too much of that kind of thing in most teen films which I find patronising and demeaning. Anyway, it's a great film with realistic people. It's a film that every young girl deserves to see. Fran is a brilliant character.

Moulin Rouge [2001] [DVD]
Moulin Rouge [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman
Price: 3.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful film, 3 Feb 2008
This review is from: Moulin Rouge [2001] [DVD] (DVD)
as usual Baz Luhrman creates a winning film. it's beautiful to look at with it's bright colours, places, costumes and actors. It tells the story of Chrstian, a penniless writer in the 1900's. He traves to Paris to pursue his dreams. He meets up with the bohemians who are making a musical, he soon gets roped in to writing the script. He winds up at the Moulin Rouge to convince harold Zidler, the club's owner to produce their play. Chrisitan meets the Beautiful Satine, a couresan and they fall in love, unfortunatley people around them have other plans. It's a romance and a musica with both comedy and tragedy, with great mixes of music thrown in. It's a trully beautiful film and it's earned a spot in my all time favorites. Unmissable

A.I. Artificial Intelligence [2001] - 2 disc set [DVD]
A.I. Artificial Intelligence [2001] - 2 disc set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Haley Joel Osment
Price: 3.25

3.0 out of 5 stars sad yet it makes you think, 4 Jan 2008
I don't think I've ever cried so much over a film. The film is about a robot/android named david who is created for a family who have lost their son. Unfortunatley things don't go well for the new family and they leave him behind. He goes on a journey to make himself human (much like ponichio, sorry, poor spelling). The film goes into what makes someone human? ethics, love and mostly loss. It's one of thoese films that you get if you feel like a good cry. It left me thinking afterwords. It's a good film but don't expect it to be a happy sunshine kinda film.

Page: 1 | 2