Profile for Satori Hugh > Reviews

Content by Satori Hugh

Satori Hugh "Satori Hugh" (Taunton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics

5.0 out of 5 stars An informative and enjoyable read, 24 Jun. 2016
This is a story about a disagreement about information loss in black holes. Stephen Hawking insisted that information about anything that falls into a black hole is lost forever; the author - Leonard Susskind - disagreed.

The black hole war lasted many years and author Susskind tells the tale. On the way we learn much about physics in general and about the physics of black holes in particular. The story encompasses Einstein's relativity, quantum physics, the holographic principle, string theory and many other areas of modern physics.

The author writes well and it's an entertaining read; possibly one of my favourite popular science books. The physics is explained well, mainly without resorting to mathematics (although there are one or two equations in the book), but be prepared for some mind-bending concepts.

I really enjoyed this book.

FXR Sports 2 x 14" (35cm) Steel Chrome Spinlock Dumbbell Barbell Bars & Collars
FXR Sports 2 x 14" (35cm) Steel Chrome Spinlock Dumbbell Barbell Bars & Collars
Offered by FXR Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality dumbbell bars for 1 inch plates, 9 Jun. 2016
These are dumbbell bars for standard one inch plates (i.e. not Olympic plates) and they cope with my Bodymax Hammertone plates just fine. I've loaded them up with 50kg without any trouble so I suspect they'd handle the claimed 80kg weight limit okay.

I'm not a fan of spin-lock collars, which these and most one inch dumbbell bars come with, because of the time it takes to change the weights, but they seem to hold firm enough.

You could probably get four thick (10kg) plates on each end or maybe five thinner plates.

Can't really fault them.

Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Add-On Powerline Adapter, Easy Ethernet Access Through Your Powerline (500 Mbps, 2 LAN Ports, Small, Compact and Unobtrusive Design, PLC Adapter, Ethernet) - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast connection when it works but prone to dropping the connection occasionally, 22 May 2016
I've had mixed experiences with my Devolo dLAN plugs. I'm not using the wi-fi extenders on these plugs yet but rather just plugging in ethernet cables. What I've found is that they're fine when they work, by which I mean they seem to wire up a quick connection that serves up things like Amazon Prime without much in the way of buffering, but they are prone to dropping out of the network randomly.

I have no idea why they suddenly drop. To get it all working again I either have to reboot the router or unplug all the Devolo plugs and plug them in again. Often I have to do both those things. This sort of thing happens once every three or four weeks. It seems to happen on a device that hasn't been used for a while, although maybe that's just a coincidence. I dunno.

I know it's the Devolo plugs because I've installed the Devolo Cockpit app and it will show the lack of connection in its GUI.

So, over all, a mixed bag. Fine when it works but prone to frequent drops.

The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, The Fall of a Science and What Comes Next

4.0 out of 5 stars Musings on string theory, quantum gravity and the lack of risk-taking in today's physics academia, 18 May 2016
This is an interesting book. It concentrates mainly on string theory and quantum gravity and Lee Smolin guides us through a lot of the history of those theories, detailing their successes and failures. This is all presented in a non-mathematical way, although some of the concepts are mind-bending enough even without the maths.

But the point of the book is to highlight what Smolin believes is 'The Trouble with Physics'. The latter chapters are devoted specifically to this and here we learn how physics follows fads, and tenures, grants and professorships are awarded to those who follow the 'in' thing. Smolin argues that physics is in need of a revolution and more risk-takers with new ideas should be employed in the field to provide fresh perspectives on the foundational areas of physics.

I found this book an enjoyable read and something of an eye-opener in relation to how the world of academics works. Recommended.

Sabichi Telescopic Pole, White
Sabichi Telescopic Pole, White
Offered by Dash365

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, telescopic shower rail - easy to fit, 10 May 2016
This product seems to have mixed reviews but I've had no problems with it. All I did was twist the pole and extended it until it was about two inches longer than the gap between the two walls I was fitting it between. Then I placed it against one wall and pushed it against its spring to slot it on to the other wall. That was four months ago and it has held fast ever since.

For under a tenner, I have no complaints.

CSL - 2m - CAT.6 Ethernet Gigabit Lan network cable (RJ45) | 10/100/1000Mbit/s | Patch cable / broadband cable | compatible with CAT.5 / CAT.5e / CAT.7 | black
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, high-quality, high-performance cables at a decent price, 1 May 2016
I tend to use Powerline plugs and ethernet cables rather than wireless wherever possible, particularly at the back of my 'entertainment centre'. Everything seems to want to connect to the internet these days and I think the investment in decent, strong ethernet cables is worthwhile. It's less hassle in the long run. You can just plug them in once and rely on them to keep working.

These CSL cables fit the bill in my opinion. They're tough cables and they slot in with a solid, satisfying click rather than the limp connections I've had with some other cables. I've used these to connect my telly, video recorder, PS4, NowTV box, Sonos CONNECT and printer. The CAT.6 performance is excellent and I've had no problems with any of the connected devices.

Good price too and they've survived an onslaught from my cat's claws without any problems.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked in combination with Dulcolax, 1 May 2016
I had never been constipated in my life until recently but I found these in combination with some Dulcolax did the trick. As this has never happened to me before I saw my doctor and she seemed to think if it doesn't persist it's not too much to worry about just now, but she said I'd done the right thing getting something to soften the stools and combining it with something to increase the urge to go.

UK extension power cord for Apple AC Adapter Charger Macbook 13" Macbook Pro 15"
Offered by mobohub

4.0 out of 5 stars Works okay but very tight fit, 1 May 2016
Seems to work okay for my early 2013, UK, 15 inch MacBook Pro but it's an extremely tight fight with the adapter. So much so that I have to use a screwdriver to gently lever it off.

Home Bedding Store Premium King Size Luxury Quilted Satin Embossed Black Comforter / Bedspread Throwover
Offered by HomeBeddingStore

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine, king-sized bedspread, 1 May 2016
Can't really fault this bedspread. It easily fits a king-sized bed, looks fine and the black one is really handy if you have a lazy black cat that likes to sleep on the bed. It washes okay in a machine too.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Rapesco Pocket Stapler with 1000 Units of 10/4 mm Staples - Random Black/Blue/Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful - does the job, 28 April 2016
This is an inexpensive stapler that will serve just fine for occasional use. I really don't staple much at all - maybe once or twice a month - and when I do staple things it's usually only a couple of pages. I've had no problems using this stapler like that but I would suggest something a bit sturdier (and thusly more expensive) if you're going to use it regularly or for more than a few sheets of paper each time.

It's only 3.5 inches long by 3/4 of an inch wide, so it fits into the "pocket stapler" category as advertised, although I'm not sure why anyone would habitually carry a stapler in their pockets on the off chance they might need to staple something.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17