Profile for Mike Smith > Reviews

Content by Mike Smith

Mike Smith (Bognor Regis, West Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
fitBAG Folk Red custom tailored sleeve for Nokia Lumia 1520. Fine suede leather pouch with integrated microfibre lining for display cleaning

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but ....., 26 Nov 2014
A lovely taylored to fit sleeve for a 1520 for someone who doesn't want to use a case. In some respects almost too good a fit making it difficult to get the device in out of the sleeve quickly and for that reason I've now discarded it and gone back to using a gel case again. I can't fault it for what it is but it just wasn't what I was looking for.

MPERO FLEX FLIP Wallet Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 - Purple/White
MPERO FLEX FLIP Wallet Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 - Purple/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this case for my yellow 1520, 26 Nov 2014
Love this case for my yellow 1520, it's well made and looks great with the added advantage of having a handy wrist strap. I've tried a few different cases and this is the best by a long way. The phone is held securely in place by a gel like surround which offers maximum protection and doesn't harm your device like some cases can that have hard sharp plastic clips. I was worried that it might start to look a bit tatty after prolonged use but it's very durable and looks as good now as when it first arrived. A definite 5 stars.

Bamboo Stylus Solo 3 for Media Tablet/PC - Grey
Bamboo Stylus Solo 3 for Media Tablet/PC - Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE THIS PRODUCT CAN DAMAGE YOUR SCREEN, 26 Nov 2014
I switched to this stylus after getting through several Mediadevil styli which, at nearly £10 per time, was proving costly. First impressions were good as the nib was smaller, responsive and it felt nice to use. However I suddenly noticed an unexplanable scratch on my screen protector which had remained scratch free for over 6 months. I then used it on another device and the protector on that suddenly picked up scratches too. I then realised that because the nib is so small, if you use it at an angle like you would a pen, then the metal surround of the nib can easily come in contact with the screen resulting in the scratches I was experiencing. I could actually feel it making contact with the screen at times. I discarded it immediately and in disgust rushed out to buy the first stylus I could find which looked identical to the Mediadevil ones but was made of plastic instead of metal. It was cheap and cheerful but it proved just as responsive as any stylus I had used before and, most importantly, didn't prove a threat my screen. I've now come to the conclusion that these expensive styli are are a rip off, especially as the nibs wear out fairly quickly and in the case of the Wacom Bamboo, can actually damage your screen as that sharp metal surround can too easily come in contact with it. Potential buyers beware, if you use this stylus keep it upright and don't angle it otherwise you too might experience the same problem. Luckily it was only screen protectors that it scratched, if it had been my screen I would have been furious in the extreme!!!

Nokia Lumia 720 (yellow)
Nokia Lumia 720 (yellow)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Get Ripped Off, 30 Dec 2013
The Nokia Lumia range of smartphones are exceptional value for money whether you go for the entry level Lumia 520 or splash out on the top of the range 1020. I have the Lumia 720 as on sale here but I wanted the yellow version which isn't available in the U.K.
My advice would be to avoid buying from German companies through Amazon U.K., the prices are extortionately high and you can save a significant amount by buying direct from Amazon de or even Amazon Italy. You just sign in with your Amazon U.K. account details and every Amazon all over the world will know who you are, your address and payment details. It's as easy as buying through Amazon U.K. except, because the Euro is weak against the G.B. Pound, there are significant savings to be made, especially on electricals, camera's etc, just avoid buying tv's as they won't be compatible with the U.K. broadcasting system, but anything else, just do the maths and convert the price in Euros to G.B. Pounds and you'll see what a great saving there is to be had by buying from Amazon in Europe rather than Amazon in the U.K. The returns policy is identical so no need to worry about faulty goods, and Amazon are just as helpful and obliging no matter what country you buy from, just so long as you realise that the equipment will arrive with a continental mains plug but you can buy an adaptor for pennies so no need to worry about that either. Shop around the various Amazons and you'll be surprised at just how much you can save. If you need help there is even an option to email them in English so it really is worth giving it a try and save substantial amounts over the U.K. price.

Emartbuy® Nokia Lumia 1020 LCD Screen Protector And Shiny Gloss Gel Case Skin Cover Yellow
Offered by emartbuyuk

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 14 Dec 2013
Don't take any notice of the colour shown in the pictures of this phone cover. It looks a nice bright yellow which would complement the phone perfectly. Instead you get an awful dark custard yellow which looks awful. It's also a very thick case which adds unnecessary bulk to the feel of the phone. You get what you pay for and I'm already looking elsewhere. No way am I going to spoil the looks of my Nokia Lumia 1020 with this atrocity, it's only fit for the bin where it's going to end up.

Transcend 32GB Premium microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter
Transcend 32GB Premium microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and Quality, 29 Sep 2013
It is what it is, a 32gb class 10 micro SD card at a very reasonable price as it comes from Transcend who have never let me down yet in providing a first class reliable product. Well worth the extra money over the cheap and unreliable unbranded SD cards which seem to be flooding the market at the moment and are to be avoided at all costs.

Fosmon Dura Series (TPU) Semi Flex Gel Skin Case Cover for Nokia Lumia 720 - Fosmon Retail Packaging (S-Series (Yellow))
Offered by theWireless USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 29 Sep 2013
A semi flexible case/cover for the Nokia Lumia 720 which fits perfectly and hugs the device to give good protection from knocks and bumps. Perfect for the yellow version which unfortunately is only available through Amazon Germany and Italy but worth it as it's the most striking attractive colour in the Lumia range.

Emartbuy® Nokia Lumia 720 Frosted Pattern Gel Skin Cover Green
Emartbuy® Nokia Lumia 720 Frosted Pattern Gel Skin Cover Green
Offered by emartbuyuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 29 Sep 2013
A nice case/cover for your Nokia Lumia 720 although the colour won't match as there is no green varient of this phone. It does however blend in quite well with the yellow version and gives quite an unusual but attractive mix of colours.

Nokia Lumia 720 Case Clear Silicone Gel Cover
Nokia Lumia 720 Case Clear Silicone Gel Cover
Offered by Yousave Accessories

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT CLEAR, 29 Sep 2013
If you buy this case/cover expecting it to be clear so you can see the original colour of your phone through the case then you'll be disappointed. As seems to be the case with Cellapod recently, items are not sold as described. This case is a frosted white colour and certainly nothing like clear as described by the seller. It does fit though and will protect the back and sides of your phone from minor knocks and bumps.

MediaDevil Magicwand Capacitive Touchscreen Stylus (Regular edition, Yellow) for Apple iPad 1, 2, 3, 4 & Air / iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C & 5S / Samsung Galaxy range / Google Nexus range / ASUS / HTC / Nokia / BlackBerry / Microsoft (see compatibility list)
Offered by MediaDevil

2.0 out of 5 stars A few more weeks on ... second thoughts, 22 Sep 2013
i have been using this stylus for over a month on my Nokia Lumia 720 and it just works perfectly. No more having to clean the screen of greasy fingerprints every 5 minutes, this is the best stylus I have owned and it's well worth the extra money over a cheap one. I found they just stick to the screen making it hard to scroll, the Mediadevil has a non friction tip so scrolling is not an issue anymore. Try one and you won't be disappointed, and more to the point you won't want to keep touching your screen and keep making it look an eyesore!

Update
That review was written before a few worrying problems started to arise. Just after it was written I started to find the tip of the stylus was shedding small rubber particles over the surface of the screen. The stylus still worked ok but it started to stick to the screen more and didn't glide as easily as it had done when new. More worryingly than that after about another month, during which I had used the stylus for extensive gaming, I suddenly noticed that there was a problem with the Gorilla Glass screen in the area where the stylus had been used the most. If any cleaning fluid was applied to the screen it beaded off of this particular area but stayed on the rest of the screen and the affected area looked darker. This darker area wasn't apparent when the screen was dry but breath on the screen and that area didn't mist over like the rest of the screen did. I tried cleaning the screen over and over again using a lint free cloth and screen cleaning fluid but nothing would shift it. I'm still in the dark as to the exact cause but the screen now won't clean properly anymore, there is always a smeary appearance which is impossible to shift and the dark area where the stylus had been used the most still persisted. Looking into it a bit further it appears that some LCD screens have an invisible coating and it's beginning to look more and more like the tip of the stylus has worn part of the coating away so the screen now has perminant damage. I'm fanatically fussy about keeping my tech in pristine condition and now I've actually bought a new phone to replace the damaged one, but it just seems incredulous this situation has arisen because I was trying to protect the screen from finger prints and unlikely scratches in the Gorilla Glass by using a stylus. While all this was going on I actually bought another one thinking I had worn the first one out, but that started to shred rubber particles over the screen too so now I don't know what to do. I've had to go to the expense of buying a new phone and I'm afraid of using a stylus again in case the same thing happens. I'm not a fan of screen protectors, and having Gorilla Glass and using a rubber stylus, I wouldn't thought one was necessary, but now it clearly is so I would advise anyone thinking of buying this stylus to err on the side of caution just in case the same problem occurs.
It would seem that some devices do have a coating over the screen and some don't, but it looks like the iPad definitely does, and obviously the Nokia Lumia series phones that use Gorilla Glass do. I don't think this problem would have arisen just using the stylus to tap out text or emails, but it appears the constant sliding the stylus across the screen in one particular area is hazardous to the safety of the screen so don't find out the hard way as I have done, check first or if unsure use a screen protector.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2014 12:11 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3