Profile for D. W. Sherwood > Reviews

Content by D. W. Sherwood

D. W. Sherwood "daniel11071" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 Retail
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 Retail
Offered by Gadget.exchange

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Great Price, 18 Oct. 2007
Commenting on previous reviews regarding the price of leopard compared to our American friends price - you're not factoring in VAT which is added on purchase (unlike america), you're forgetting exchange rates and other economic variables such as the fact that our minimum wages are greater than Americans'.

All in all, comparative to a major upgrade such as XP to VISTA which by the way has far fewer features, this is extraordinarily great value for money.

Now to the review portion:

I am in the unique position of having a view point about this particular product, rather than apple products per se, and I am overall very pleased with the new OS.

I would have liked to have seen another ground-breaking feature such as scalable user interfaces, or read-write ZFS file system, instead of (in my opinion) gimmicky features such as the new transparent menu bar, and glossy dock. Nevertheless, the typical apple innovation is clearly still very strong with their unique approach to backup needs, stacks and multi-desktops.

The most important thing is that the OS is secure, reliable and it is very simple to use. The most obvious thing is usually the one to click; you don't have to go hunting for the right menu option; it's just the one that screams "click me".

The User Interface is still pretty nice. Again, not as groundbreaking as the original OS X.0 but nevertheless, a great improvement from our current 10.4. We are beginning to see much more uniform approach to windows and the OS applications which is refreshing, and we finally seem to have gotten rid of the brushed metal which was never a favorite of mine anyway.

My only concern are things such as the new dock; very "Vista" as is the new menu bar. Not user friendly - I can't see the text as clearly!

Still, overall, a solid improvement. Although I'm not what one would describe as an Apple "Fanboy", I do applaud apple for again pushing the boundaries of what an OS should be like. I have to use Vista for work, and when I come home, it's OSX all the way.

If you haven't actually tried it - do! The way things like "Stacks" work (and they're beautiful) without a hint of a murmur from the hard drive, the way windows glide in and out, and the way Time Machine works so elegantly yet effortlessly is truly remarkable. Add to this the fact that you can jump back to any point in time in the history of your computer and retrieve files that disappeared long ago is an historic achievement.

Again, well done apple. Keep pushing the boundaries, it's what the industry needs.

Joey: Season 1 [DVD]
Joey: Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrea Anders
Offered by TVserieshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Series, 8 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Joey: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
As a very big friends fan with every DVD and epidosde sitting in my video rack, I had high expectations of Joey. The first two episodes are a little weak, but I laughed so much at some of the episodes. Favorite lines are :
"Ill boil my face later" <--- how can you not love that??!
"ohhh Michael, he's the best one" <----Love Bobby!
Seriously though, the show is great. It did have a few growing pains, but then if we're continuing comparing it to friends, I didn't find the first four episodes of friends very funny at all. Its all about the writers leanring the characters, and the actors learning to bounce off each other. At the end of this series, they are.
The show is on 5, which is shockingly poor; but at least we have it over here! Its popular in America too, so it's not going anywhere for a few seasons at least.
My advice of a fan of comedy and not friends in particular is to buy and enjoy. I promise you'll have some real belly-laughs, and in this world, that in itself is priceless.

Apple iPod 15GB - 3rd Generation [M9460B/A]
Apple iPod 15GB - 3rd Generation [M9460B/A]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ipod, simply the best music device available!, 26 Feb. 2004
Many will critizise Apple's latest offering to the music sector - mainly becasue people like doing so. We've all heard about the battery issue with Ipods, ear volume and the like, but I'm hoping to lay the truth down with a couple of these claims.
As a musician, I like to take files around with me as examples of project styles that I like the sound of and wish to emulate, as well as my own recorded styles. The IPOD is a fantastic way of carrying around 15 - 40, yes FORTY GB of information. That's 10000 songs - Hours of playing time, and genuinely, who has that many songs that they listen to on a regular basis?
The ear volume is perfect, the controls are spot on. You can operate it with a glove, and as for the weight - it's like carring around a CD - it's THAT light.
The battery lasts for around eight hours+ of playing time, with a simple hour on to charge and you're looking at going strong for another seven hours or so (With three hours taking a full charge). Look on the apple website, there are loads of accessories too, with better earphones (Although the ones that come with it are perfect "All Rounders"
The IPOD itself is a trademark. Thousands of celebrities have them, and I would't look back. For me, the difficult decision was between a Mini - disk player and an IPOD - but the thing that decided it for me was the fact that there are no CD's to change, and no interruptions to my music. The IPOD represents the ability to entirely block out the outside world and immerse yourself in 10000 of your favorite tunes.
It beats the competition. You could opt for a slightly cheeper solution - but you pay for what you get. The ipod is solidly built and has taken more than a few knocks off me, and not only that, from the moment you open the packaging, you just get the impression that care has gone into the design of the product - They're not after your money, it's almost as though they want you to enjoy the experience as much as they did.

Red Dwarf: Series 8, Byte 2 - Krytie TV [VHS]
Red Dwarf: Series 8, Byte 2 - Krytie TV [VHS]
VHS
Offered by RED-JET Movies Music & More

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Dwarf series Eight is by far the best series so far., 31 Oct. 2003
I can appreciate that Red Dwarf, especially the early series, may not be to everybody's tastes, but series 8 takes the series into a whole new realm of comedy.
Incidentally, the budget for Red Dwarf 8 was identical to the budget of Victoria Wood's , "Dinner Ladies" - and look what theyve done with the sets! The characters are supreme, although granted, a little cliched (But that's whats needed in a sitcom) and to see the show develop from badly dressed sets in series I, to pure comdey, which is what we have in series eight, is a heart warming feeling. "Bird Man'" and some of the other characters are some of the best written, "Killcrazy" being another example. So yes, it's cliched, but it's meant to be! And with names like "Birdman" you'd be a fool to miss the obvious tongue in cheek there!
Seriously, if you want comedy and enjoy a laugh, buy this Video. It sure beats "Dinnerladies" for a show!

A.I. Artificial Intelligence [2001] - 2 disc set [DVD]
A.I. Artificial Intelligence [2001] - 2 disc set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Haley Joel Osment

5.0 out of 5 stars Read before you make a judgement...this film is amazing!, 14 Sept. 2003
Artificial Intelligence is a somewhat unique film, and it is for that reason that it has been criticised. AI is a different motion picture, most call it "Weird", and certainly the whole way it is acted on screen is almost surreal...but this is the beauty of the piece. The effects in it are truly astonishing, and the plot is so emotional that ANYONE will find it strangely inspiring.
The plot is principally about love - and about what a child will do to keep that love, and the people on to whom his love is attached. It's about growth too, in that the main character has not got the ability to further his capacity as a "lover" - he never moves on to find a love of his own - he only has his "mommy".
The piece IS unusual, I guarantee it - and at first, you may think to yourself, "What a waste of 20 pounds" but I promise you, if you sit right through to the end, you'll appreciate the picture. It's not something that grips you straight away, it's more intellectual than that. If you want simplicity, go out and see American pie, but if you want something that really makes you think, and honour the things we have in life, watch this movie. It is controversial - discussing many themes and issues present in today's life - and it does so without making judgements, but just telling the story of a young child's love for his mother - and how he would be prepared to travel to the ends of the earth to keep her with him.

Frequency
Frequency

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game!, 7 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Frequency (Video Game)
unusual. That's the only word I can think that describes this game. truly, it's unique. But is it good...well appart from taking a wild guess at my star rating, the answer is a most certain yes. If you're into music, then this is the perfect game for you. I'm not usually into the type of techno sample music that this game offers, but damit, it's addictive. I watched days come and go as i played this game.
The basic objective is to literally "punch" out the beat by nodes left in your path. You're moving down this continually moving tunnel, and it's your job to pick out the samples you want to use. Bass line? sure! Drums? you got it! The only thing you have to watch out for, is if you're not doing enough of those drums n' bass, you tend to die - but hey! That's part of the addiction right?
Seriously, this is a great game. It may not be famoous - but PLEASE go to read the review, before dismissing it. It's brilliant, and unusual. It's original and quirky. Don't let this one pass you by.

Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars A well crafted, unusual collection of great music!, 7 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Beyond Imagination (CD) (Audio CD)
Having read some of the comments on this collection, I was forced to comment. The album is certainly diffrent - and yet it appears, that this "diffrence" is the cause of the slating it is being given.
The CD is not meant for Die-hard opera fans - but it certainly is a wonderful introduction to the world of opera, without the high-brow stuffyness brought to you by most who cherish the genre.
What should be commented on, is the music. "Beyond Imagination" is a particular favorite of mine, with the contrasting vocal harmony sending shivers down the spine. There isn't a massive amount of variaty here, appart from two or so tracks which have a somehwhat unusal approach at trying to "upbeat" an opera song, which I, myself, have some reservations about... - appart from this track, everything else works.
Don't be put off by criticism by opera fans. This is opera - but it's opera with a DECENT tune. Sure Marriage of figaro is better par se, but at the end of the day, that is a complete work...a fully fledged opera. This CD is a collection of songs - and good ones at that. The music is good, it's catchy, it has impact, it is opera with occassional drums, and lots more power than you would find in marriage of figaro....it's different....so? Isn't that how music has evolved?

Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Brilliant., 20 Jun. 2002
This review is from: Beyond Imagination (CD) (Audio CD)
The title song, 'Beyond imagination' is truly brilliant. A real joy to listen to.
I'm both a classical fan and pop fan, and while traditional purists may not find this opera CD as great as I did, for those, "normal" people out there who can listen and judge without pre-judging on the singers stage name, "The opera Babes" they'll fnd this an amazing compilation of great music and a supreme listen.
I cannot stress how amazing the title song is though!

Anything Is Possible / Evergreen
Anything Is Possible / Evergreen
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A shiver-down-your-spine type of song that cannot be missed., 28 Feb. 2002
Some reviewers say, 'the hype is enough to put me off for life' others say, 'Pop idol was the TV event of the year'The question that seems to delude most people, is what is the actual single itself like? People need to stop judging the TV programme the single originated from, and start listening to the song. And for the record, it's one hell of a song.
It's one of those rare gems that gradually builds to a climactic conclusion, and at that moment, sends a shiver down your spine, and leaves you with a dry palatte gasping for more of our recent pop idol. It truly is fantastic. I'm usually against all this propeganda stuff, But it's the music we should be judging, not what the media says. It's the music we should be enjoying - not listening to others opinion. I guarantee anyone with half an ear will like this song. It's certainly a refreshing change from Ja Rule talking about who he will next have his, 'Booty' with!

Official Sony PlayStation 2 Vertical PS2 Stand
Official Sony PlayStation 2 Vertical PS2 Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars This makes your PS2 look awesome, 5 Jan. 2002
This makes your PS2 look awesome! It saves alot of space around your TV and looks a million times better than the unofficial ones. If you can fit your PS2 on your video player for example then get the horizontal stand because both make the PS2 look very modern and give it a very good first imprssion. Recommend to anyone...

Page: 1 | 2