Profile for Stephen Griffiths > Reviews

Content by Stephen Griffiths

Stephen Griffiths (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Trees Of Britain
Trees Of Britain

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use guide, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Trees Of Britain (App)
I downloaded this guide with some reservations, due to some of the very negative reviews here. I did try to download it some time ago, but it was unavailable. Maybe it was being fixed, as it seems to be fine now. There are many examples of trees in the database with good descriptions in most cases. There are a few somewhat terse descriptions here and there, but they are exceptions. There are some omissions but it is guide not an encyclopaedia.
If I have one complaint it is that the image sizes are on the small side, unlike the companion British Birds which have good sized images. This is the only reason for giving 4 stars rather than 5. Maybe that will be amended with an update later.

The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
by Dr Michael Mosley

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Diet - it actually works, 11 Mar. 2013
Reading Dr. Mosley's book, I found it intriguing to think that it could be that simple. I need to lose a bit of weight and a few inches off my non-existent waist, so as my partner also wanted to lose some weight and inches from her waistline, we decided to have a go. The first observation was just how easy it is. Two non-consecutive days with 500-600 calories and the rest eat as normal. This is our fifth week into the new "regime" and it is working very well. We have both lost an average of just under 1kg per week and have reduced waist measurement by an inch (sorry, please excuse mixed imperial and metric here!).
Dr. Mosley does emphasise the need to reduce waist size over weight and trying to get your waist measurement down to less that half your height. So in my case I have an inch or three to go yet, but my muffin top is visibly smaller!
A minor criticism is in the low calory menus, which are really not a lot of use to us as we are both vegetarian and finding low GI high protein ingredients for the diet days is slightly awkward, but do-able nonetheless.
Black tea and occasional black coffee, plus plenty of water during the fast days is easy enough and a light breakfast of fruit juice, porridge and tea is fine. The evening meal tends to be more of a problem but we now have several standard "fast day" menus to use and they are fine. After all it's only twice a week. For us Monday and Thursday are our fast days.
So if you have a bit of weight and waistline to lose, I would recommend that you give it a try. It really does work and because you are not eating special "diet foods" you won't have the problem of reverting to your normal diet once the weight is off, because you are eating your normal diet anyway, just not on two days a week. The author does say that going down to one day a week fasting once the diet has done its job should keep the weight from coming back on. On that subject all I can say at the moment is "we'll see".
Maybe I'll write an updated review in a few weeks time to say how it went.

Sudoku Free
Sudoku Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Sudoku newby, 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Sudoku Free (App)
Never been too keen on sudoku, but this free app may well change my mind. Still on the Easy puzzles so far, but it has a good interface and is simple to use and understand. Definitely recommended.

Einstein Brain Trainer HD
Einstein Brain Trainer HD

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite addictive little app, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Einstein Brain Trainer HD (App)
So far the best Brain Trainer I have tried. There are a few small irritations but nothing to really cause a problem. For example I did find that the explanations for carrying out some of the various tasks were a bit unclear and I have yet to find a way of re-reading them. You only see them once. Some of the tasks are a bit puerile and others a little confusing but all in all it's a great little app. I have used it every day since I purchased it and my score is going up slowly with occasional slips down again. So don't do the tests unless you have time and can concentrate without interuption. The graphics are excellent. One small gripe though, it is not possible to use the app in landscape mode on Kindle Fire and this means that some of "Einstein's" speech bubbles containing information are off screen and need to be pulled across. The games are OK, they are on screen, but it is a bit of a pain to grab the screen on the bottom edge to read some information. Not a big deal really, but if it is designed for Kindle Fire the writers really ought to have addressed this issue and made the information more easy to read. But as I say it is a small gripe. If you make a mistake during a test the program reduces the difficulty during the test. This OK if you are having trouble doing the test but a bit annoying if you just hit a wrong number key or mis-typed. However it is good fun and for the small price, well worth it.

Calculator Plus Free
Calculator Plus Free

5.0 out of 5 stars It`s brilliant. A really useful calculator, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Calculator Plus Free (App)
Downloaded this app some time ago. Omitted to write a review until now. This is really good well laid out calculator. And it is FREE! How good is that! Thanks to the app supplier for this useful app.

Compass
Compass

1.0 out of 5 stars This compass does not work, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Compass (App)
I am glad this was free, else I would want a refund. This does not get even close to the correct reading. Maybe it's because it is on Kindle Fire. No use whatsoever.

Bridge Constructor FREE
Bridge Constructor FREE

5.0 out of 5 stars Building couldn't be more fun, 11 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Bridge Constructor FREE (App)
This fun and it's free! Testing out your knowledge or lack of basic mechanics. If you make a mistake nobody dies! This can only be a good thing. No lorry drivers were hurt in the construction of these bridges.
I haven't got far into the levels yet, but on present experience it can only get better.

BBC Radio Podcasts
BBC Radio Podcasts

4.0 out of 5 stars Initially slightly confusing interface, otherwise excellent, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: BBC Radio Podcasts (App)
Downloaded for the Kindle Fire from the Kindle Fire app store. Interface is apparently simple and straightforward, but slightly confusing as many of the choices disappear behind an advertising panel. Once you find this out it is fine.
A big advantage is that it saves a lot of the hassle of navigating the rather overcomplicted BBC webpage for this material. I'm not sure if it has everything the BBC site offers, but it offers a lot and it offers it in a straightforward fashion. Well done and free too!!

Four in a Line Free
Four in a Line Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Four free, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Four in a Line Free (App)
Nice game, well presented. Deceptively more difficult as you progress through the levels of difficulty. Not ad free but ads are not intrusive. Might even buy the ad free version!!

Angry Birds Seasons (Ad-Free)
Angry Birds Seasons (Ad-Free)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fun, it's Angry Birds, 24 Dec. 2012
What is there not to like? if you like angry birds this is a good variation.
The Halloween set is worth the few pence it cost by itself.
Loved the pumpkins and the bats.
I spend far too much time playing this, it can't be good for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11