Profile for Stephen Griffiths > Reviews

Content by Stephen Griffiths

Stephen Griffiths (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Threes!
Threes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to pass a few minutes, so long as you don't mind the "few" minutes becoming the odd hour, 18 July 2016
This review is from: Threes! (App)
Well, it's free. It's fun. It helps pass a few minutes, which tend to turn into rather a lot of minutes.
Moving the blocks around was a little confusing to start with. I was expecting them to move like a solitaire board, but instead everything moves at once in the same direction. Once that is sussed, then it becomes, like so many "simple" games, extrememly addictive.
My scores are fairly rubbish at the moment - max so far 3300+ and I haven't got a larger tile than 192.
But I will! I will! No matter how long it takes.
Hmm! Slight addiction problem here?
Nonsense.

Gwynne's Latin: The Ultimate Introduction to Latin Including the Latin in Everyday English

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent teaching book. Old fashioned? Maybe. But effective? Yes., 13 July 2016
I'm working my way through this, slowly. I last studied Latin over 50 years ago and thought learning Latin would be good for my ageing brain.
The method of teaching is very traditional. And I mean VERY traditional. But this suits me as I was taught in a very traditional way back in the late 50's and early 60's.
It might not suit younger students who maybe are not used to the rigours of rote learning. However it does instill a good and necessary undersatnding of the grammar and structure associated with learning Latin.
It is also associated with a website where advice and examples of Latin pronounciation, declensions and conjugations are demonstrated.
I have a long way to go with this excellent book, but I am determined to make good use of it and to succeed.
With the help of Mr. Gwynne's book, website and good solid teaching methods I'm sure I will.

Black + Decker GLC3630L20-GB 36V Cordless Strimmer with 2.0Ah Li battery and charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compromise between a petrol strimmer and an underpowered battery strimmer., 13 July 2016
I needed something other than a smelly, noisey petrol strimmer to sort out long grass and annual nuisance weeds on my allotment.
This machine fills the bill very well. It is powerful enough to deal with clumps of long grass and low growing weeds easily. It has a variable speed from "Eco" to "Turbo". As you can guess the Turbo cuts more vigourously but at the cost of battery life. However the Eco setting works well for most grasses and weeds. With just an occasional boost for the tough guys.
It doesn't like bramble stems, large docks or heavy stemmed weeds such as full grown Rosebay Willowherb, but that is asking a lot. It is a battery powered device and obviously can't produce the power and torque of a petrol powered strimmer.
The battery latst for about 20 to 40 minutes depending on what setting is applied. Recharging with the fast re-charger takes about an hour.
I cut down a 100sq metre overgrown allotment plot with no trouble.
So if you don't want the hassle of filling with and storing petrol, and maintenance that a petrol strimmer requires then this is fine.
If you have heavy duty cutting to do then go for the petrol option, but for day to day cutting down of smallish areas of overgrowth this battery powered device is excellent. I'm very glad I chose it.

Irrigatia SOL-C12 Unique Solar Powered Weather Responsive Automatic Watering System

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent and reliable watering ssystem for greenhouse plants., 7 July 2016
Sorry Amazon, I didn't buy this from you, but wanted to let potential buyers just how good it is.
I now have two of these. I bought one last year at Chelsea Flower Show - 2015 and was very impresssed with its performance.
I used it in my allotment greenhouse to water 15 tomato plants which thrived on the regular waterings.
So this year I bought another one at Chelsea Flower Show - 2016 to use on my 12 peppers which live in a kind of small greenhouse-cum giant cloche. Both of the pumps run from water butts filled with rainwater run-off from the greenhouses and shed, so they are independent of mains water.
The system is so brilliantly simple. In bright sunlight the batteries charge up more and the pump runs longer and more often. When it is dull, the batteries charge less and the pumps runs shorter and less often.
You can adjust the pumping rate with a five position switch, so if you need less water for particular plants you can set the dial low. If you want more for tomatoes say, then you set it high.
Setting up the tubing and drip feeders is reasonably quick and easy once you get the hang of it. The connections can have a slight tendency to leak a bit, but I found that using a Thermos flask of hot water to hand to dip the tube ends in and then attaching to the connectors worked very well.
The water is pumped from a tank via a tube which has a filter and weight attached. This helps to keep the tube filter under water. There are sensors attached to the tube which detect when the water level is too low and stops the system pumping air.
You can position the pump several yards away from the point of use if necessary. My pepper house is about 8 metres away from the water tank with the pump nearby.
Would I recommend this system? Oh, yes. No more worrying about watering the tomatoes every day and you can safely leave it to run unattended, so long as you have a good supply of water.
One question. Why did nobody think of this before?

Bluetooth Transmitter, TaoTronics Portable Wireless Stereo Music Transmitter for 3.5mm Audio Devices: TV, PC, Tablet, MP3/MP4, iPod and other Media Players (Not A Bluetooth Receiver)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bluetooth transmitter at a very reasonable price., 6 July 2016
I wanted this to connect my amplifier or TV or Brannen JB7 to headphones without all the wires trailing around the room. This is an ideal solution. Just transmit to Bluetooth earphones. That way I can listen to the music I want without disturbing my partner and she can do likewise when she wants.
The transmitter is really small. At first I thought this will never work, but how wrong I was. It charges via a micro USB plug (supplied) either via a mains plug transformer/charger or via the USB port on a computer. The charge lasts a good long time, longer than my Bluetooth earphones in fact. Also supplied is a stereo jack plug adapter. My only very small complaint is that the wire on this could be longer, but this is just a minor quibble.
The sound quality is fine and there are no blips and blops of break-up due to poor transmission. It is supposed to work to 30 metres, but that is in ideal conditions. I do find that wandering out to the kitchen to make tea can cause a bit of a problem, but to be fair it does have to transmit through a wall and in any case it may well be the fault of the receiving earphones rather than the TaoTronics transmitter.
As the saying goes, "It does what it says on the tin". Definitely recommended as a solution for portable bluetooth reception and at the price you really can't go far wrong.

Earlex Ea13 Jet Nozzle Cleaner/Scraper and Brush
Earlex Ea13 Jet Nozzle Cleaner/Scraper and Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent add-on tool for the Earlex Wallpaper stripper. Ideal for freezer defrosting., 14 Jun. 2016
I purchased this add-on for the Earlex wallpaper stripper for the specific purpose of defrosting the freezer.
It's easy to set up and use. Once the water reservoir has reached temperature, the nozzle produces a gentle jet of steam which can be directed at the ice in the freezer.
What was once half a mornings work with a fan heater or bowls of hot water and scraper, now takes less than an hour, from emptying the freezer to switching it back on again.
I had used the flat plate wallpaper tool itself on one occasion and that was OK but this Jet Nozzle is really much better as it can be aimed much more accurately at hard to reach spots in the back of the cabinet.
Obviously you need to take a little care as it emits scalding hot steam from the nozzle, but common sense should prevail. Keep pets and children out of the way and give yourself room to move around. Then it's a doddle and because it is so much easier to do, it gets done more often.

Bluetooth Sports Headphones, SmartBB(TM) Wireless 4.1 Stereo Jogger, Running, Hiking, Gym Exercise Sweat-proof Sport Headphones Earbuds with Mic Hands-free Calling for iPhone and Other Cell Phones (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bluetooth enabled ear buds at a good price, 7 Jun. 2016
I purchased a very similar set of ear phones from the same manufacturer recently and was very pleased with them.
I decided to buy another pair as I was always leaving them in the wrong trousers etc (The Wrong Trousers! Grommit!).
I like this type of Headphone as I wear hearing aids which make using over ear and in ear-canal phones difficult to manage.
This new "BT" set is slightly different to the original set, but improved.
The design is slightly more robust looking for a start and the ear buds have neat little rubber covers to seal in your ear. Very clever.
The controls are on a small "panel" attached to the connecting wire and hang down on the right hand side. The placing is quite convenient and allows you to tuck the wires inside your shirt, jacket, etc.
Bluetooth pairing and connecting was a doddle.
With the original set there was only an enigmatic tone to tell you whether the phones were on/off/connecting/paired.
Now we have a very stern ladies voice saying Power on! Pairing! Connected! Power Off!
Quite loud too! You can't ignore it.
Charging by USB, with cable supplied was excellent.
Oh yes and the sound quality was fine too. OK HiFi it ain't but I listen to mine when I am out on the allotment with all sorts of background noises. And being a bit deaf, the top end of my hearing is poor anyway.
If you want super-duper Hi-Fi, buy a set of expensive cans and look silly walking down the street!
You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Tuff-luv Faux Leather Case Cover for Sony Nwz-A15 A17 A20 A25 A27 Walkman Black
Tuff-luv Faux Leather Case Cover for Sony Nwz-A15 A17 A20 A25 A27 Walkman Black
Offered by Tuff-Luv

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent strong but accessible case for the Sony NWZ-A15., 20 May 2016
I bought a Tuffluv case for my Sony NWZ-A829, eight years ago and it was brilliant. So when I replaced my NWZ-A829 with the NWZ-A15 I immediately ordered a new Tuffluv case to fit it. And I'm glad that I did.
This is a really well made case. The player fits the case perfectly and all the controls are easily accessible.
Also supplied is a screen protector which is easily applied. I use Bluetooth for the headphones and the case made no adverse impact on the Bluetooth transmission.
The case is sturdy with a padded front cover secured by a press stud.
A round removable caribiner type clip was a bit unnecessary, but I'm sure some users will be grateful for it.
So an all round hit with me. Money well spent to protect my investment. Definitely recommended.

Sony NWZA-15 A Series High Res Walkman 16 GB - Black
Sony NWZA-15 A Series High Res Walkman 16 GB - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and improved replacement for my 8 year old NWZ-A829., 19 May 2016
In 2008 I bought a Sony NWZ-A829 which has been very reliable all this time except that the battery has started to go off a bit and it spent longer charging than playing. But 8 years isn't bad going for a player that was used regularly whilst on my allotment in all weathers.
So it was time for an upgrade. I bought the NWZ-A15 recently and was very pleasantly surprised to find that it is even better than my trusty old A829.
It is slightly longer than the old player but slightly narrower. It produces very good clear sound. The file storage capacity with a 64Gb microSD card is more than I could possibly fill. Though I'll have a good try!
In addition it also has a radio player which works well, with good reception. The Bluetooth facility also works well with wireless headphones and connection is a doddle.
File transfer couldn't be easier. Just like the old A829 it's Drag and Drop using Windows 10. No fancy software needed.
Navigation on the screen is clear and concise. I've seen a few reviews which complain about the separate file transfer windows for the SD and System storage, which is initially slightly confusing, but only slightly. You have to choose which storage location to transfer files, but once transferred all the files appear on screen in alphabetical order on the Albums setting, no matter where they are located in the device.
Anything I don't like? Not so far.
I haven't used it for video or photographs, but I didn't buy it for that. I'm not convinced that videos on a screen that small are worth watching. Likewise photos. It's a music player and a very good one. Definitely recommended. Enjoy.

Mahjong II
Mahjong II

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-downloaded recently. Still good fun., 26 April 2016
This review is from: Mahjong II (App)
I bought this a couple of years back. I completed all the games and eventually removed it from my kindle. I re-discovered it recently and started playing again. Still just as much fun as before. A nice way to pass a few minutes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13