Profile for Shalini Boland > Reviews

Content by Shalini Boland

Shalini Boland (Dorset)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Mamluks (The Mamluks Saga: Episode 1)
The Mamluks (The Mamluks Saga: Episode 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Series - really enjoyed this!, 2 Jan 2014
I really enjoyed this. It's written in quite a formal style, which initially put me off, but the story is so compelling that I couldn't put the book down, and went straight onto the second in the series.

It's an interesting study in human behaviour, pitting compassion against the desire to survive at all costs. Throw in some nail-biting tension and unusual characters and you have yourself a great series.

Menagerie
Menagerie

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Menagerie (Kindle Edition)
This unusual novelette sucked me in immediately, with a great main character and an interesting premise. There was a very cinematic quality to the writing, and I felt like I was inside the story. I loved the underlying sinister feeling which ran throughout. I could've easily read on, which isn't a criticism, as it's a good thing to be left wanting more. But . . . could you please write some more, A.K. Meek?

Smart Mouth Waitress (Life in Saltwater City Book 2)
Smart Mouth Waitress (Life in Saltwater City Book 2)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars An Addictive Read, 4 Oct 2013
Adored this. A quirky quick read with fun characters and great dialogue. I love Moon's writing style and will definitely be reading more of her books.

Kept
Kept
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Quirky Chick Lit, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Kept (Kindle Edition)
Quirky, original chick lit with brilliant characters and a fab heroine. I really enjoyed the author's writing style and loved that the story didn't end up going where I was expecting. The fashion snippets are great and I was so excited that the story was partly set where I live! Highly recommend this and looking forward to reading more from Ms Field.

The Betrayal (Soul Protector Series #2)
The Betrayal (Soul Protector Series #2)
Price: 2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 9 Aug 2013
This is another fast-paced read. More mystery thriller than love story this time around and I loved that!! Gracie is a tough heroine and with all she's got going on in her life, I was really rooting for her all the way through. The overall premise of the series is so original and awesome, I can't wait for the third in the series to find out where Ms Cowley takes us next.

Greenwood Tree
Greenwood Tree
Price: 3.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Mystery meets Historical Drama in a Sumptuously Creepy Mix, 7 July 2013
This review is from: Greenwood Tree (Kindle Edition)
Greenwood Tree is an original multi-dimensional novel with a highly authentic flavour. The author effortlessly handles the switch between the two time periods and I love the way we flip from sinister mystery to bitchy humour at the drop of a hat. Julia Warren is a fantastically relatable heroine who makes great choices and I was willing her to succeed every step of the way. The secondary characters are also wonderfully described and I think these personalities are what give the novel such depth. The tendrils of this story gradually wrapped themselves around me until I had a couple of nights where I felt genuinely spooked. It's a visual tale that I could easily see being televised or made into a sumptuous period movie. I also have to mention the author's illustrations which punctuate the novel like random prizes in a pass-the parcel. If you like beautifully written classic mysteries interspersed with sharp wit then this is the novel for you.

Daisy Madigan's Paradise (Morgan Sisters)
Daisy Madigan's Paradise (Morgan Sisters)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and Imaginative, 9 April 2013
A fantastically evocative ya novella perfect for both younger and older teens. Daisy is a great character and you can't help but wonder what you'd do in her tragic situation. I really enjoyed this touching haunting tale and am now on the look out for more in the Morgan Sisters series.

And check out that gorgeous cover!

The Vanished: 2 (Blemished)
The Vanished: 2 (Blemished)
by Sarah Dalton
Price: 6.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book 2, 17 Mar 2013
I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy of The Vanished and I loved it as much as the first in the series.

It starts immediately where The Blemished left off and is completely action packed almost from start to finish. Mina is much more confident and headstrong now, less unsure and reliant on others. I was with her every step of the way on her quest to determine what's going on in her new surroundings.

I also like the introduction of the other gifted characters who are like Mina. This combination of dystopian and supernatural really makes for an intriguing and riveting read.

Well done to the author for a great series. And I've just noticed she's released a novella in the same series - yay! Also really looking forward to book 3.

Alone (The 'Serenity' Series Book 1)
Alone (The 'Serenity' Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Massive Stars for 'Alone', 9 Jan 2013
Alone was recommended to me and I've been meaning to read it for ages - I'm glad I finally got around to it. I really felt for Serenity and all she endured. The characters seemed so real that I got caught up in each situation. Marissa Farrar is a fantastic storyteller and I was totally immersed in the novel from beginning to end. Plus Sebastian is smoking hot! I've read quite a few vampire series and this stands up there with the best of them. Really excited to have found a great new series to get my teeth into.

The Blemished (Blemished #1) (Blemished Series)
The Blemished (Blemished #1) (Blemished Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome UK Dystopian, 1 Oct 2012
I bought The Blemished on Kindle and didn't turn my light off till 1.30 am this morning because I couldn't put it down! This is a great YA dystopian novel which ranks up there with Divergent and The Hunger Games. Mina Hart has all the usual teenage worries and a whole lot more - from bullying and first love to the more sinister threats of 'The Operation' and 'Twitching Sundays'. There are two love triangles, some terrifying characters and all this is set against the backdrop of a sinister and unrecognisable Britain. REALLY GOOD!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4