Profile for Maddy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
It's Like Love
It's Like Love

4.0 out of 5 stars Something Better, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: It's Like Love (MP3 Download)
This is a beautiful song which is performed even better by someone called "Dazed Faith" about whom I can find nothing! Maybe this was some studio guy who copied the song and did it better!

Cold Hearts
Cold Hearts
by Gunnar Staalesen

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Cold Hearts (Paperback)
I thought the plot was extremely contrived and not very well put together. The outcome was fairly obvious from halfway through and I found the main characters uninteresting and boring. I am not keen on first person narratives at the best of times and if I had read this author first of the Nordic writers I doubt if I would have tackled any of the others!

Posilock Floor Stand
Posilock Floor Stand
Offered by Sew and So

5.0 out of 5 stars Search Over, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Posilock Floor Stand
Been looking for ages for this Xmas present for a family member whose present stand is falling to pieces! Having received the Posilock it is just what I wanted and I am sure will make her Xm as.

Still Life: 1 (Chief Inspector Gamache)
Still Life: 1 (Chief Inspector Gamache)
by Louise Penny

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Lightweight, 27 Oct 2013
Because this book had been praised by Peter Robinson, I thought it would be good and written in similar image to his work but I was quite wrong. The plot seemed very contrived and rather obvious and I could not warm to any of the major characters at all. It was not particularly well-written and very much in the old style of goodies and baddies. I think crime writing has moved on from this sort of situation and it was a little like going back to reading the old-time crime writers in that every step of the plot seemed to be tailored to the continuity of same. I shall not be reading any more of this author's work.

The Return (The Van Veeteren Series)
The Return (The Van Veeteren Series)
by Håkan Nesser

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner!, 27 Oct 2013
This is another top-rater from Nesser and all the more interesting as the main character (Van Veeteren) is not actively involved but rather on the periphery of incidents. All the police in the department have something to offer character-wise and again, this book is well-written and translated and a compelling read. The villain is always interesting in a Nesser novel and sometimes the reader tends to feel a little sympathy for him or her when trying to avoid the attentions of VV et al! It would not be fair to reveal any details of this story because that would devalue what, for me, was a cracking read which I literally could not put down.

The Crocodile
The Crocodile
by Maurizio de Giovanni

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious Rubbish, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Crocodile (Paperback)
I have to state from the outset that I was extremely disappointed in this book. I was really looking forward to a well-written and interesting tale instead of which it seemed to me to be a muddled account which I found difficult to follow. The characters were not very interesting and I felt that this writer had rather let the Italian novelists down with this offering. The plot was muddled and hardly worth going into and maybe I have got so used to good translations with the Nordic literature that I expected too much.

The Strangler's Honeymoon: Van Veeteren Mysteries Book 9 (The Van Veeteren Series)
by Hakan Nesser

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant!, 27 Oct 2013
I loved this book from beginning to end and Nesser is simply the best in this genre in my opinion. His books are beautifully written and translated and they keep the reader gripped all the way through. The characters are full of interest and totally believable with their various hangups and flaws and the storyline races along without losing any impact on the way unlike some of the other Nordic writings. Although Van Veeteren is supposedly retired, his involvement in the plot is made acceptable by the fact that it is woven in rather than being there just because he is who he is. The female characters are always more human than in other crime fiction and not stunningly beautiful or erudite. Nesser has taken crime writing to a higher plain as far as I am concerned and I would strongly recommend every reader to revel in his plots as they are not so complex as to confuse but cunningly outlined and completed. I so hope that Hakan is beavering away on Book 10 as I can hardly wait to see where VV goes to next!

One by One
One by One
by Chris Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Carter Winner, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: One by One (Hardcover)
I have looked forward to another adventure for Robert Hunter for twelve months and this was well worth the wait! Chris Carter writes with style and energy and, unlike so many other writers, does not expect the reader to know all the criminal psychological terms which form the basis of his plots. The explanations, therefore, are woven into the plot and made clear to the layman without appearing patronising.

The criminal in this book is believable whilst being very frightening and the crime situations are cleverly described. What I also like about the Carter novels is that his hero seems to get by in life without falling into bed with every female he works with or comes into contact with during his investigations.

For crime buffs who love a good story clearly and entertainingly written, Get Carter!

Dangerous Waters (The Barkley Sound Series Book 1)
Dangerous Waters (The Barkley Sound Series Book 1)
by Toni Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather Too Obvious, 18 Sep 2013
This book was mainly about diving and had very little else to interest readers who find water only fit for drinking! It was not a particularly well-written book and I found some of the language irritating and repetitive. The denoument was fairly obvious halfway through the book and there was quite a lot of bad language which I felt was not necessary. All in all, I shall not be reading this author any more and feel that the Nordic crime writers offer so much more.

The Corpse Reader
The Corpse Reader
by Antonio Garrido

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Really Different, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Corpse Reader (Paperback)
This is the tale of the first forensic scientist and is a fascinating, if somewhat gory, account of the life of a trailblazer in this field. Beautifully translated and thoroughly rivetting it holds the reader's attention all the way through. To be recommended to readers who want something a little bit off the beaten track. Stick with it and you will be rewarded with a very good read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5