Profile for PlasticBertie > Reviews

Content by PlasticBertie

PlasticBertie (Swansea, Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mens Haigman Easy Care Polycotton Long Pyjama nightwear lounge wear Jade 2XLarge
Offered by TOSHOP-ONLINE
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish Jim Jams, 4 April 2014
A very comfortable and very attractive looking pair of pyjamas. Have not had any for over 25 years, but these fit the bill very happily. They seem well made and are a pleasure to wear.

Back to the Fall
Back to the Fall
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first stuff!, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Back to the Fall (MP3 Download)
I have heard this track both at various live gigs and now on mp3 - a song that really grows on you, like some of the other songs that Eleri Angharad has written. I gather that an EP is due for release at some stage and I'll be one of the first to buy it, no question!

The Gift
The Gift
Price: 14.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a special Album!, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Gift (Audio CD)
I am very new to Susanne Abbuehl and bought this CD out of curiosity, though both love and play the flugelhorn and appreciate any records that feature it - Kenny Wheeler, Gerard Presencer and others. What a beautiful discovery - I would say it is already going to be my favourite album of 2013 - really deep , very reflective, and both the band and her own voice deliver it effortlessly. I have loved some of the earlier Song Cycles written by Schubert, Mahler and the various settings of WW1 poetry by various composers such as Vaughan Williams, Gurney, Butterworth and similar. This feels like a contemporary approach to the genre and is very special indeed!

AMERICAN VINTAGE 2.5 Tenor Sax Reeds (Pack of 5)
AMERICAN VINTAGE 2.5 Tenor Sax Reeds (Pack of 5)
Price: 17.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good product! Needs improvement., 15 July 2013
Excited to hear of new Marca reeds as my favourite are Marca Jazz - lively, full bodied, three dimensional sound.
These sounded dull and heavy in comparison and had no buzz, no zip, no life and were overshadowed by the other
American Cut reeds that I usually play, such as Alexander NY and Vandoren V16 reeds. I do not think that the cut looked right
and the reed seemed to be limited in its range of responses. Returned for refund!

Bosch TWK8633 Styline Collection  1.5 Litre Cordless Jug Kettle, Black
Bosch TWK8633 Styline Collection 1.5 Litre Cordless Jug Kettle, Black
Price: 52.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent kettle!, 7 Jun 2013
What a novel and useful idea - have a kettle which can bring water to different temperatures without the guesswork involved. Tea is great with fresh water boiled at 100 C; Coffee needs water at 90 C; Hot Chocolate and Green Tea benefit from an 80 C temp. Very robust kettle with quite classy looks and easy to adjust the temperature control. Very satisfied customer and no longer need to watch kettle like a hawk!

Telephone Socket Doubler
Telephone Socket Doubler
Offered by Everyday Electrics
Price: 1.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought two, only one worked!, 16 May 2013
Main concern was that one of the two did not work, for whatever reason. Working one is fine, no problem!!!

The River
The River
Price: 12.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it!, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: The River (Audio CD)
Having recently bought Ketil's CD - Remembrance, which I think is superb and has real depth and spirituality, I fancied making an additional purchase. Excellent CD again. I do not want to analyse it particularly just share my deep appreciation of something that ticks all the right boxes and is lovely to get immersed in. Special sounds which touch the soul. Encourages me to continue my search through Ketil Bjoprnstad's catalogue!

Magico: Carta De Amor
Magico: Carta De Amor
Price: 19.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Brazil, America and Norway in perfect harmony!, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Magico: Carta De Amor (Audio CD)
Having an interesting & rewarding discussion about different jazz cultures - European, American and Latin - this came along at just the right time. I've been a great fan of Jan Garbarek's contribution to jazz, and his capacity to work with musicians of all different cultures. The other musicians are also excellent performers in their respective fields and I had their "Folk Songs" CD for many years, which I love. This takes that CD a stage or two further and is a very rewarding listen, especially from the standpoint of different cultures contributing to a worthwhile and meaningful product, albeit in an historical context./

ECM has done a very useful "scraping the barrel" exercise in this case!

Shifting Gears - Jerry Bergonzi
Shifting Gears - Jerry Bergonzi
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.10

2.0 out of 5 stars First and last Bergonzi purchase.........., 2 Jan 2013
Having bought tickets to see JB at the local jazz club for my birthday I thought it would be useful to buy a representative CD. I did enjoy the rest of my birthday but the gig and CD will not last long in the memory. For a while I have found European jazz more meaningful and tuneful than American jazz, and seems to imply that American jazz is on its last legs in many ways.
This CD and also the attended gig do nothing to change this view. None of the tunes in either last at all in the memory. The playing is very skilful throughout but seems to lack any memorable tunes - as if they have all been used up by others. I have become used to the ABA structure of head - improvisation - head in many American tunes, but the Heads seem to have largely absent these days.

I will not be buying another Jerry Bergonzi CD - I played this 3 times and then have lost interest. There may be tunes in there and some may love his work. For me it lacked purpose (I love Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter and many others) and confirmed my sense that American jazz has largely run its course and needs a new direction.

London Teapot Company-Chatsford 6-Cup Teapot with One Red Filter, Green
London Teapot Company-Chatsford 6-Cup Teapot with One Red Filter, Green
Offered by Emporium Cookshop & Homewares
Price: 16.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Best teapot out there!, 2 Jan 2013
Well designed pot - solid, good pourer with very good filter system so that leaves can be disposed of easily. Many teapots are dreadful at pouring and many are dably made. This is just how a teapot should be - nuff said!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3