Profile for Mr. N. C. Wilson > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. C. Wilson

Mr. N. C. Wilson "waspmasher"

How About I Be Me And You Be You
How About I Be Me And You Be You
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 10 Mar 2012
Keeping it simple, this is the best CD I've bought in 2012, not that I've bought that many. Some of the lyrics are vaguely mediocre, but I can live with that if it provides music of this quality. Her best since 'Universal Mother', perhaps.

Cocktail Audio X10 with 1 TB HDD
Cocktail Audio X10 with 1 TB HDD
Offered by AV10
Price: 405.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent, 27 Feb 2012
Having broken my Brennan in less than 12 hours, I have bought this device and am really pleased with it. The 1TB hard drive is more than enough to store all my 700 cds at WAV quality and it sounds amazing.

Other reviewers have commented on the slightly awkward interface, but it's just about usable. I guess we're so used to seeing ALL the information about songs on iTunes that we're disappointed not to have the same on the X10. And as was also commented, maybe future firmware updates will sort that out.

What else to say ? The manual was not originally written in English, nor was it probably translated by an English speaker, so it can be slightly confusing at times. But once you understand the gist of what they're trying to say, you can pretty much work it out yourself.

Some advice : get a cheap USB keyboard [mine was less than 5 from a local supermarket] for editing tags. And also an external hard drive to back it up once in a while. But definitely get an X10 !

More information : Just a warning really. Backing up your T10 can take a long time. Expect over 15 hours for 600 gig

JB7 320G Metallic S1
JB7 320G Metallic S1

1.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted....., 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: JB7 320G Metallic S1 (Electronics)
......but sadly that was less than 12 hours. I loaded 40 cds last night and then left it to get on with its compression. This morning the screen shows 'Disk error'. Ok, I think, the manual tells you what to do - a 'cleanup'. Sadly the machine won't let me, it's broken and it's going back tomorrow.

But my thoughts were that this is essentially a good idea if you want to move away from iTunes etc. However, it would be extremely risky to sell all your cds after loading them to the Brennan. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a Cocktail Audio X10, let's hope that's better.

Update 3 days later. I've bought the Cocktail Audio X10. It's cheaper, has more storage, sounds great and [most importantly] hasn't broken.

Update another day later. As promised, Brennan sent a courier to my office to pick up the broken unit. And they've refunded me already - but less the 10 delivery I paid to get the thing in the first place. Not impressed.

Final update, yet another day later. To their credit, Brennan have refunded the 10 delivery cost, without quibble. So now, if you're tempted to try one of these, you really can without losing out. Maybe I was just unlucky with my machine......
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2012 9:14 PM GMT

Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Arctic White)
Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Arctic White)
Offered by Technology Experts

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 14 Oct 2011
Let's kick off by saying a few things about me and my Chromebook
1) I've only had it a few hours
2) I have an iPad
3) I have a netbook

The reason I mention the above is that you may think I wouldn't need a Chromebook, but from initial impressions, I must say that the Chromebook does have a role for me. Sure, the iPad is great but it doesn't have a keyboard. Yes, the notebook has a keyboard, but it takes a while to boot up and the screen ain't quite so big [and the battery life on mine is, ahem, shocking].

Initial impressions are very favourable. I was concerned about buying something I'd only seen on youtube but I have to say that it is a stylish beast. Well built and highly usable. Robust, a pleasing size [though satisfyingly thin] and a cheaper alternative to the Macbook Air which does not look like it ought to cost three times as much.

But it's still early days for me. I do like the quick boot up time and the keyboard is great. The supplied documentation is shocking in its brevity but I had previously found some good hints and tips online. Do I still need the Netbook ? No, it goes on ebay tomorrow unless the Missus wants it. What about the iPad, does that go ? No, it's too shiny and lovely, but it will take a marginally lesser place in my heart, now that I have my spanking new Chromebook !

Sanyo VPC-CG20EXBK-B Xacti CG20 Full HD Dual Camcorder with 10MP Photos and HDMI - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Feb 2011
What a great camcorder for the money, thoroughly recommended. But make sure (a) you've got software and a PC/Mac capable of editing HD video (b) a memory card suitable for HD [old cards can be too slow] and (c) a spare battery - this thing is quite power-hungry !

Bose Triport  Headphones (discontinued by manufacturer)
Bose Triport Headphones (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning. But ...., 30 Mar 2007
Let's be blunt - I have no reservations about buying these headphones at all. Any comments about them revealing instrumentation you never knew existed in a piece of music are fully justified. But with an MP3 player, even an Ipod, the deficiencies of music compression become apparent and the hiss comes through, particularly on quieter pieces. Maybe their strongest selling point is their downfall. But if the crucial question is :- would you replace them if they broke ? Then the crucial answer is :- yes, oh yes. And then some.

Our Shadows Will Remain
Our Shadows Will Remain

5.0 out of 5 stars His best since his first, 7 May 2005
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
After a stunning debut album, it always seemed slightly downhill for Joseph. Each album always had 2 or 3 classic tracks (don't get me started on a 'Best of' disk) but this one is pure class from start to finish.

Apple iPod shuffle Sport Case
Apple iPod shuffle Sport Case
Offered by Invero
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 4 April 2005
My first impression of the iShuffle was that it was a fantastic bit of kit but I had concerns about losing the usb conection covering. As it happens, I've been fortunately proved wrong. But just to be extra sure, I decided to buy the sports case, to truly protect my investment. And I reckon it's just about worth it. Nicely built but it does have one drawback, notably that you have to take it out of the case to switch it on and off. Apple have cleverly designed the case so that the front controls can be used whilst the device is contained, but the rear switch is only accessible out of the case. Does this matter ? Probably not, but at least now you know.

Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A]
Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A]

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart stuff, 27 Feb 2005
Let's cut to the chase - I love my Ishuffle. The sound quality is fantastic and it's so easy to use. A couple of 'negative' comments though - I reckon you could easily lose the usb interface cover (and hope that these are available to buy separately), also the on/off slider is slightly awkward for thos of us with no nails. Get one, alternatively get four and keep the wife and kids happy also.