Profile for Athos215 > Reviews

Content by Athos215

Athos215 (Kent)

Gun Law: Fighting Britain's Deadliest Gangs - Inside an Elite Police Firearms Unit
by Andy Hailwood

2.0 out of 5 stars Gung Ho but empty, 1 Jan. 2008
It should have been a great read, but it really left me feeling short changed.

Great descripions of the workings of the police and some really good real crime anecdotes. Yes, it's a difficult job and we have to admire many of the brave people in the police force, especially those in elite firearms units.

But the way the author expressed himself got my back up - he was really into himself in a big way - not a humble one - and I didn't feel much empathy there, either from him or towards him.

I think that ultimately I felt that there was not enough depth to this. Despite the subject matter I wanted a more human feel to the writing. I wanted to be able relate and feel what was being said rather than just read someone telling me how great he was.

Windows Vista Inside Out
Windows Vista Inside Out
by Ed Bott

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I needed, 1 Jan. 2008
I'm just a home user and this book did provide some useful tips. Where it fell short though was when it came to giving 'easy to understand' descriptions of how things in Vista work. All I wanted to know sometimes was how to just do the simplest of things in the quickest way - I don't really want to know all the technical details - but I found myself having to read many things over and over before i got the gist of what was being explained.

I know most people are probably more into computers than i am and maybe they need to know all the technical stuff. I guess I just got the wrong guide.

It is nicely written and laid out though and for people who are IT professionals it will probably make much more sense than it did to me.

Busy Body: My Life with Tourette's Syndrome
Busy Body: My Life with Tourette's Syndrome
by Nick van Bloss

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Moving, 1 Jan. 2008
Given to me over Christmas, I imagined that this book would be really depressing and leave me on a downer. I was very wrong.

I'm always reading biographies and this one proved to be as worthy, if not more so, than some of the best I've read. OK, a book about medical condition like Tourettes doesn't fill one with any promise of excitement, scandal or even much at all really, other than just talking about living with an illness.

Busy Body took me into a different world, one where things are so different to most peoples that I became excited by a condition I knew very little about. I also became enthralled with the author and began feeling as though I was being let into his secret world where things are just not as they seem. The author feels the world in a dizzy and violent way and I began to feel that I was joining him, such was the power of the vivid descriptions.

Tourettes must be impossible to live with and I think this book shows just how brave the author is, not only in living with it but also in being able to write such a powerful book about living with it.