Profile for Laya- Rochal > Reviews

Content by Laya- Rochal

Laya- Rochal "Laya" (London)

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
I was fascinated from the moment I began the book and I loved the perspective . I heard HM speak at the Festival Hall and she said she had seen an image of a boot (in some detail) and she realised she was seeing things through Cromwell's eyes. I love the narration in the present tense. Won't say a lot more but wanted to register that I loved it and think it a wonderfully accomplished novel which I read as much for the writing as the tale.

Knitting
Knitting

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Knitting (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book - I got it for Christmas and it's fascinating. I love the cover which is Shiaparelli's trompe l'oeil sweater from 1923. As you would expect there are loads of absolutely beautiful images and amazing examples of detail and craftmanship including socks, underwear, caps, lace shawls etc, and pictures of old knitting tools. The book starts with the history of knitting going right back to the 13th century and covers amongst other things, industry, home knitting and couture so it's very comprehensive. I even came across some knitting patterns I have in my collection. Anyone remember Patricia Robert's sweater with the bunches of grapes? Mine was knitted by my mother in law - a wonderful knitter. A book to treasure, full of treasures!

The Sustainable Fashion Handbook
The Sustainable Fashion Handbook

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 22 Dec 2012
Extremely thorough - will answer any questions you may have about sustainability and the fashion industry, such as those re climate change, the depletion of natural resources and waste. The author says sustainability 'does not mean the end of fashion: it can instead become a catalyst for change.' There's a lot going on to facilitate that change and the book really is a mine of information with contributions from designers - Dries Van Noten and Eileen Fisher, to pick two at random - and companies like Junky Styling in London's Brick Lane which reworks classic men's suits, tweeds, shirts and ties into stylish women's clothing. And you can even take your own hand me downs there for restyling! The book is great on information like that. Plus of course there are loads of fab pictures.

Eco-chic: The Fashion Paradox
Eco-chic: The Fashion Paradox

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 30 Nov 2012
Excellent book -Sandy Black is an authority on all aspects of fashion and the industry. I first read it when it came out in 2008 ( this is a 2nd edition of a very successful book)- it was one of the first books to be published on the subject of sustainable fashion. It is both informative and easy to read and a great resource for fashion students. Comes highly recommended

Women's Work: Modern Women Poets Writing in English
Women's Work: Modern Women Poets Writing in English
by Eva Salzman

5.0 out of 5 stars Women's Work, 21 Jun 2009
This is an excellent anthology with a comprehensive and well argued introduction by Eva Salzman. The book is skilfully organised in themed sections (I like the title of section one 'How Love Works' with the sub-heading `Love, Lust - hopefully both at the same time - Marriage.) There are 270 poets, represented mostly by one poem though some have more than one: Marilyn Hacker, Phillis Levin, Denise Levertov, Jane Hirshfield, Eva Salzman and Carol Ann Duffy have three, and homage is paid to Emily Dickinson, who has six. I expected that such a minute selection of a poet's body of work would feel limited and unsatisfying to read, but found the opposite - that each voice spoke out and all the voices brushed against each other in a community of individual voices -each a part of the whole - it reminded me of listening to an Ipod. I also enjoyed discovering poets whose work I didn't know. Highly recommended as book to return to again and again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2011 11:18 AM GMT