Profile for J. Rennie > Reviews

Content by J. Rennie

J. Rennie (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Quick Python Book
The Quick Python Book
by Naomi R. Ceder

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great. Lacks proper explanations in favour of brevity., 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Quick Python Book (Paperback)
I've been programming for many many years, recently decided to learn python, (for pandas, matplotlib etc etc.) for a work project. Also got the O'Reilly Python Pocket reference and the Wes McKinney "Python for Data Analysis". (Both books I would recommend.)

The Quick Python Book seems at first glance to be a nice introduction to python, and maybe thats all its supposed to be.. But it fails to go into enough detail in many important points, specifically in relation to lambda expressions, generators, decorators etc etc.

Generators, for example, get just 2 brief paragraphs.. I like books that are succinct but this is nowhere near enough. When I first read the section (2 paragraphs) I completely misunderstood how python generators worked. It was only when I was watching a presentation from PyCon on youtube that I realised how generators actually function.. [...]

Reading this book will give you a vague understanding of some important things about python but it will not teach you enough python to complete a real project. You still need to read the real story in other books or online in order to really understand. So whats the point of this book?

Another gripe is that the index only lists 1 entry for most concepts.. Meaning this isnt much use as a reference either.

Having said this I do like this book enough to give it 3 stars. The writing is reasonably clear and sometimes brief is good to get a vague grasp of the concepts before filling in the details using other sources.

Not a 5 star book in my opinion.

Ez Shred Scissors/ Shredder/ Destroy Personal Documents
Ez Shred Scissors/ Shredder/ Destroy Personal Documents
Offered by The Online Stores

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Compact solution for domestic use., 12 Oct 2013
If I had a lot to shred then I'd buy an electric shredder. but I only get a few letters a week that I need to shred. and I prefer not to waste the space on yet another electrical item. So I got these.

Very glad I did. They work very well if you're cutting up a couple of sheets. Fine for bank statements etc. Very happy with them.

Wolfcraft 1919000 75 x 533mm Sanding Belts with 24-Grit
Wolfcraft 1919000 75 x 533mm Sanding Belts with 24-Grit

5.0 out of 5 stars These are brutal. And superb quality. Price has jumped though, 11 Oct 2013
I got Draper, Faithful, Silverline and these.. These were the best quality.

24Grit is EXTREMELY rough. These tear through wood, paint, anything. They dont break (like those awful silverline ones)

Brilliant quality. VERY worth the money.
HOWEVER.... I paid £5.29 for 3.. and it was next day delivery with Amazon Prime. It looks like Amazon dont stock these anymore. The price seems to have nearly tripled!

I'm lucky I got 6 of these at the cheap price.. Lets hope Amazon stock these again soon...

Ryobi 18V One Plus Multi-Tool Bare Tool
Ryobi 18V One Plus Multi-Tool Bare Tool

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have got one of these YEARS ago., 11 Oct 2013
This has got to be the best tool I've bought this year.. I first saw it on a youtube video for glazing renovation and noticed how useful it looked. I had no idea how many uses this would turn out to have.. It lets you make cuts that simply would not be possible by any other means..

I've been renovating my sash windows and have used this to do dozens of things that just wouldnt have been possible without it. Cutting neat 3mm x 30mm ventilation slots in the window frames. Cutting rectangular cube shaped sections of wood out of the frames to replace the rotten portions. Slicing an access hole in the window frames to get the sash weights out to replace them. Separating the windows from the frames where they'd been painted in. Taking the glued edges off the parting beads. ETC. ETC,

If this broke... I'd immediately replace it. Very accurate, And far safer and easier to manipulate considering how fast it cuts through things.. Highly recommend getting the Saxton 13 blade case set. Also the 3Ah unbranded battery.

Status S8W2MSPSS1PK3 8 Way Square Surge Protected Slave Extension Socket with Neon Indicator

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for PC and DIY, 31 July 2013
Finally getting round to writing my own review for this. Ive used this for both DIY as well as for my desktop PC.

Initially I used mine to switch on and off the vacuum when doing DIY... A festool plunge saw, Draper pro router, hand sanders etc.. it worked fine with all of them - The router has LED lights that stay on even when its not running and they were not enough draw to trigger the slaves (the vacuum).. I plugged them all into a 4 way socket and the vacuum came on whenever I used any of them. It was only when I powered the tools that the vacuum came on - I think you have to go above 35w before it powers on the slaves.. If its a laptop then you will probably find that charging the battery will take more than 35w some of the time. My laptops power supply is 19v and 3.4A, so thats 19x3.4~=64w... My old Vaio was 19v and 8A ~= 152w... so just be aware of that.. if your laptop is closed then it wont need to charge most of the time.

I like the design on this.. It has a very slight delay between the Master powering up and the Slaves coming to life. About a quarter of a second. Thats good because it reduces the power surge.

When I finished my DIY project I then used this with my desktop PC. And its been coping fine with powering up and down my six 24" monitors (yes, six!) , A 5.1 amplifier, 3 external harddrives and a centrifugal fan (big one).
Its been doing this morning and night for a couple of months.

No problems at all.

Polycell EF825 825ml Expanding Foam Polyfilla
Polycell EF825 825ml Expanding Foam Polyfilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit messy but not as bad as I was expecting., 3 May 2013
This stuff really expands - there's a bit of an art to using it as well. Recognising how much is required to do the job. And how to spray it to get the best results. But in the end we got a good finish with this stuff. I'd definitely use this in future.

400ml Radiator Enamel Gloss White
400ml Radiator Enamel Gloss White

2.0 out of 5 stars It goes EVERYWHERE, 3 May 2013
Imagine a giant growing cloud of gloss paint particles, expanding outwards in every direction from the second you start spraying. Imagine that cloud goes out about 6 feet in each direction.. You can imagine my surprise when I realised that I had just spray painted the entire room.. Just a fine mist that you dont really notice to begin with.. but its everywhere. I would only use this again if I was doing it in a room that was going to be repainted afterwards - then it would be fine.. Very fast and gives a reasonable finish.. An alternative would be if you were able to physically remove the radiator and take it outside. For me, I think I'll get the stuff you paint on with a brush for the next radiator..Less work overall !

Silverline VC46 T-Bar Sash Cramp 1800mm
Silverline VC46 T-Bar Sash Cramp 1800mm
Offered by Tool and Fix

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value.. I may buy some more for my next project, 4 April 2013
I got 2 of these and they work just fine - Very strong - I clamped a huge cabinet together using these. NO way I could have done it without them.. Lots of overly tight biscuits made everything very very tight.. These are big enough to get around anything. As other reviewers have said, the holes are not drilled close enough on the rail so you need to use shims to fill the gaps - but sometimes you get lucky.. Considering the price I dont have any problem with this.. Mine arrived clean, straight and fully working.. How on earth anybody could bend one of these is beyond me..

Superb value.. I may buy some more for my next project

Mobile Drill Stand
Mobile Drill Stand

3.0 out of 5 stars check it will fit before you order it., 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Mobile Drill Stand (Misc.)
Before you buy this have a look at your drill and check it has the right sized collar behind the chuck.. I didnt check and was surprised to see that only one of my drills actually had the collar needed..

What it did fit - perfectly - was my old black and decker wired drill.. which I guess is what its made for. The trouble is I almost never use that drill any more.

What I was pleased with was the general solid construction of it.. solid metal and it all moves quite well.

It looks like its only really good for 90 degree work - 30 degrees might be slightly useful - but 60 degrees allows almost no movement.

If it had fitted all my drills - and been better with angles - I'd have given this 5 stars.. Still - NOT BAD

Neato Robotics Neato Pet and Allergy Vacuum XV-25
Neato Robotics Neato Pet and Allergy Vacuum XV-25

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Feb 2013
We got this a couple of weeks ago and it is absolutely tremendous. We have rabbits and the new one has a habit of crapping all over the place.. Not learned where the litter tray is... you get the picture.. I was going spare running around with the cordless dyson 5 times a day.. Not any more... I just press a button and this little tank drives around the flat and cheerfully bleeps when he's done.. all I have to do is empty the waste container.. And it picks up TONS of stuff.. proper suction. not as loud as I was expecting.. similar to a normal hoover really. mnaybe a bit quieter.. We have painted wooden floorboards.. Very old - not even properly level - no problems for him.. Also, importantly, I bought ours from that famous auction site beginning with e. From America.. Including import duty and delivery it was $463 - less than £300. Took about 10 days to arrive.. from a seller called project_contact. The american version is exactly the same except its called XV-21. voltage is fine as well.. He had a bit of trouble with our coffee table feet (they're below his lazer level and bump sensor so he rides up them and got stuck sometimes) - so I attempted to use the magnetic strip to restrain him from getting too close. But I didnt do it right... You have to use the magnetic strips in continuous lines. you cannot use small sections - he only has one magnetic sensor - on his front left (as he's driving towards you) and he drives with his sensor along the edge of the strip.. when I first did it I put small pieces of barrier strip in 4 inch pieces and of course that didnt work... so I had to buy more magnet strip from robotshop.eu since I'd wasted the stuff that came with him.. You have to use the Neato stuff because of the polarity and gaussian freqeuncies (or something) - basically only their own magnet is the right stuff.. Since putting down complete lines of the magnet strip he now follows the edges perfectly.. The bunnies dont quite know what to make of him - mixture of terror and curiosity I think.. Another tip is to wrap some 'Organza' fabric over the filter to stop it choking up - the air flows through the netting and you can clean it off really easily.. 100% recommend this robot hoover.. The dyson has had a well earned rest.. I wish I got one of these years ago !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 11:09 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5