Profile for Kate Whalley > Reviews

The Best of Martha Stewart Living Handmade Christmas
The Best of Martha Stewart Living Handmade Christmas
by Oxmoor House

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 6 Oct 2012
I buy a few Christmas craft books for myself every year, and this is the worst I have ever spent my money on. There is literally nothing in the book that I would make,let alone pass along to another as a gift. Everything is totally outdated, and even if anyone was still interested in making anything from this book the instructions are poorly written (if at all). Avoid!

Magical Metal Clay Jewellery: Amazingly Simple No-Kiln Techniques for Making Beautiful Jewellery
by Sue Heaser
Price: 12.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and well put together, 26 Jun 2011
I bought this in advance of a class I am taking on PMC, and I have found it very useful as to the tools and methods used to produce some lovely pieces of jewellery. The photos are very useful and clear where it is demonstrating the techniques, and there are some nice projects included in the second half of the book. I have no similar books to compare it to, but as a first buy in this area I dont think you could go wrong with this one.

Tilda's Christmas Ideas
Tilda's Christmas Ideas
by Tone Finnanger
Price: 5.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Very "samey", 26 Jun 2011
I have two of these Tilda books and they are both very similar to each other. Some nice ideas, and the photos are lovely, but you would definitely have to have a sewing machine and be quite adept at using it to get any sort of value out of these books. Also, I cant source the materials listed for the projects, so have to be content with what I can get my hands on here. Good for an inspiration source, but I doubt I will be using it for much else.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2012 3:49 PM BST

Animals (Usborne Baby Flashcards) (Baby's Very First Flashcards)
Animals (Usborne Baby Flashcards) (Baby's Very First Flashcards)
by Catherine Anne Mackinnon
Edition: Cards

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and colourful, 26 Jun 2011
I bought this for my friend's little girl (age 2) and they were both impressed with it. The cards are nice and sturdy and very colourful and eyecatching. In my opinion they might be a little too simplistic for a two year old, especially if they have already been exposed to a lot of books. Would be handy for distracting them while out though, as they would fit easily into a handbag.

Silva EX Plus Pedometer pedometer - White/Green
Silva EX Plus Pedometer pedometer - White/Green
Price: 20.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat but pricey, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Silva Pedometer Ex Plus (Sports)
I bought this for my mother who has gone through about a dozen cheaper pedometers, and she is very happy with it. Easy to programme with step length, etc, but also easy to accidentally reset to factory settings so you have to be careful when resetting the steps at the end of the day. Its very neat and small and comes with a little safety clip to attach to your trousers or pocket which is a nice addition. It is fairly expensive though, but so far it seems to be worth it.

Handbuilt Ceramics: Pinching, Coiling, Extruding, Molding, Slip Casting, Slab Work (A Lark Ceramics Book)
by Kathy Triplett

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and practical, 26 Jun 2011
As always Lark books are very nicely put together. There are a few parts that I didnt find useful, but on the whole I would recommend this to anyone who isnt just interested in throwing pots. Lovely photos also, very inspiring.

Doing Your Research Project: A Guide for First-time Researchers in Education and Social Science (2nd Edition)
by Judith Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for all Masters Research, 19 Oct 2010
I had borrowed this a few times before deciding to purchase. It was invaluable when it came to preparing for my research and I would recommend to all as a first port of call for this type of work. Well worth every penny.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gift item, 19 Oct 2010
I bought this for a gift and ended up keeping it myself and getting another one for my friend. Its beautifully photographed and well put together, well worth buying for all baking enthusiasts.

Apartment 16
Apartment 16
by Adam Nevill

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 20 Jun 2010
This review is from: Apartment 16 (Paperback)
I love discovering a great writer, so I really wanted to like this one. Unfortunately, I don't think it lives up to the hype. I read a lot of horror so I'm not easily spooked, and I didn't think the quality of the writing made up for this lack in 'spookiness'. Its a bit like Lovecraft meets modern day London, and its not really a compatible mix. At the same time I bought this I also ordered "The Strain" and I thought this was excellent, even though I have to wait another few months for the next installment in the trilogy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2010 10:19 AM BST