ARRAY(0xa4f1fa20)

Profile for E. Bastian > Reviews

Content by E. Bastian

E. Bastian (France)

Page: 1 | 2
The Parisian's Return (Fogas Chronicles 2)
The Parisian's Return (Fogas Chronicles 2)
by Julia Stagg
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Fabian!, 19 Feb 2014
The very welcome sequel to L'Auberge, continuing with the lives, loves and goings on in Fogas, Picarets and La Rivière :) We carried on where the 1st book left off, swept along in the lives of the residents of this small tight knit community. I loved the book on the whole, getting closer to the characters, as I have in my small rural community here in SW France, drawing so many comparisons. It was a very gripping end to this book, hoping that book 3 will be a little more light hearted? Ordering it today, need to find out what happens next..............

L'Auberge (Fogas Chronicles 1)
L'Auberge (Fogas Chronicles 1)
by Julia Stagg
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh so typical :), 19 Feb 2014
I chose this book because I wanted at long last to read some 'French' fiction after having read so many French real life books following our move here permanently 6 years ago. It didn't disappoint me, only in that I read it far too quickly, not wanting to put it down for too long! The characters were oh so typical of real residents of a small French community, drawing so many comparisons with my own life in rural France. Thankfully I received the sequel at the same time so was able to carry on with their lives straight away :)

The Olive Route: A Personal Journey to the Heart of the Mediterranean
The Olive Route: A Personal Journey to the Heart of the Mediterranean
by Carol Drinkwater
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 11 Jun 2012
I have read with joy the other olive books. Carol's wonderful desciptives keep the reader wanting for more. I felt her fear, amazement, horror, sadness,disappointment, joy, tears, frustration and even the happiness, all the way through all the countries that she visited. I admire her courage and strength in her tour,believing always in the beauty of the olive tree,striving to discover the real and true history surrounding it's origins. Bravo!!

Chocolat (Film Tie-in)
Chocolat (Film Tie-in)
by Joanne Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Encore du chocolat, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Chocolat (Film Tie-in) (Paperback)
I personnally enjoyed this book very much, rich descriptions, good storyline, very entertaining. I read it before seeing the film and felt that the book was far superior, thus being a little disappointed by the film. The novel portrays a series of events, which were rushed along in the film. It gives a true feel for a remote village in rural France, where everybody watches the business of everyone else, that much is true. It is a fact that as a newcomer one needs to work hard to be accepted and truly liked, only getting one real opportunity to prove one's worth. The novel tries hard to explain this and shows how difficult it is to integrate in a new place. I felt for Vianne, in the novel and also in the film, feeling her efforts and frustrations. It also shows that once accepted, one can conquer the world almost! A warm, touching tale about a young woman running away from ghosts in her past and starting anew.

Raconte-moi...
Raconte-moi...
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Vive la France!, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Raconte-moi... (Audio CD)
Purchased this for my husband as a Christmas gift. He loves Stacey Kent, as do I, and as we live in France it makes sense to buy a CD of hers sung in French, which we can now share with our French friends. Lovely, relaxing and smooth..........

Chocolat [DVD] [2001]
Chocolat [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Juliette Binoche
Offered by Lifes Essentials
Price: 4.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Encore du chocolat, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Chocolat [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
Good film however I found it a little disappointing as I read the novel first! The novel is great but the film has alot of changes. The general thread is the same but I still prefer the written version of the story.

The Polar Express [2004] [DVD]
The Polar Express [2004] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical for young and old alike, 28 Dec 2010
Lovely family viewing, comfy sofa in front of the fire.......youngest viewers may find it a little scary in places? Sit and watch without interruption, don't leave the room to put the kettle on, as you'll miss something!

Dial M For Merde
Dial M For Merde
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars La France!, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
Great, Paul West has returned to France in this his fourth Merde adventure. I was pleased as it made for a very entertaining book once again. Still including many beauties around his little finger, many difficult moments and tight corners. However, another laugh out loud LOL book to put a smile on your face. How does he get his washing done? Any ideas? Excellent!

Merde Actually
Merde Actually
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars More chaos!, 13 Jan 2010
I enjoyed this book and as I live in France I can relate to practically all that is written about the French ways and habits. To the point where I laughed so much and reflected on past experiences and felt less inferior as a result of knowing that I am not the only one that sometimes goes around in circles!! The only thing I would say is that the girlie relationships are taken a little too far and do not really add to the general appeal of the book. Put that aside and you still have an extremely entertaining tale.

Merde Happens
Merde Happens

4.0 out of 5 stars How many people can you fit into a Mini?, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Merde Happens (Paperback)
Once again hilarious and unbelievable adventures of Paul West and friends, this time in USA. I personally was not as keen on this one as the others in the series, as although I love travelling in the States, I enjoy his French adventures much more. However, well written and very enjoyable!

Page: 1 | 2