Profile for Gingham Ribbon > Reviews

Learning Resources Time Tracker
Learning Resources Time Tracker
Offered by MMP Living

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning for parents with learning differences., 22 July 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I have ADHD and I wanted to use this for myself and my children to help organise our work. In theory this is the perfect item. It's bright, durable, clear and has visual and auditory reminders that the time is running out. HOWEVER, I cannot work the darn thing. It is SO complicated to set up that I end up getting really annoyed and putting it away again EVERY time I try to use it.

My husband does not have this kind of problem and even he says it's the most badly designed interface he's seen.

Given that lots of children with the kind of executive function problem that makes this kind of equipment useful also have parents with the same problems, one would think that this particular part of the timer would be easier to use. And teens and children trying to use it for themselves may manage to work it out, but I'm afraid it's beyond me and my children without getting the blood pressure up before we've even begun.

I've tried for the last 30 minutes to set it to no avail. I get to the 'press menu' part and the whole thing starts again, shouting 'begin' at me every time I touch a button.

Reflex Flower Design Ladies 30 Necklace Pendant Watch PEND30
Reflex Flower Design Ladies 30 Necklace Pendant Watch PEND30
Offered by eurosparkle

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely item. Very pretty and convenient., 13 July 2012
This is long enough to just slip over my neck without a faff. I find messing with watch straps and buckles etc tricky so this is ideal. The picture on the front is vibrant enough to look quite realistic.

The only thing I would like to be different is that when I look at it it is upside down. Ideally, the watch should be upside down when hanging from my neck and when I pick it up to look at it should be the right way round. Minor thing though obviously and does not detract from the enjoyment I have from this pretty and unusual watch.

Cheap and Easy: Vegetarian Cooking on a Budget
Cheap and Easy: Vegetarian Cooking on a Budget
by Rose Elliot

5.0 out of 5 stars Best simple vegetarian cookery book available still., 13 July 2012
I bought this many years ago when I was a student. I learnt quickly how to cook healthy meals within a very tight budget. I eventually gave my much worn copy to a friend's son who was starting university. I now have a vegetarian child who is learning to cook and I knew exactly which book I needed to help him.

If you're looking for fancy ingredients and lots of kitchen time preparing fabulous meals, this isn't the book for you. If you want nutritious, simple, filling and cheap meals at the end of a busy day, this is for you, whether you're veggie or not.

All About Me: A Keepsake Journal for Kids
All About Me: A Keepsake Journal for Kids
by Linda Kranz

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding., 13 July 2012
This journal is packed full of ideas to get kids writing about themselves. The prompts are positive and celebratory without being sentimental. Some pages are unlined with prompts to draw interesting things (like pictures of your best friends) and most are faintly lined (with a reasonable amount of space between each line.) There are prompts such as 'ask your parents what they are proud of' or 'what would your ideal pet be like?'. There are also some prompts that promote the ability to express more difficult feelings, such as, 'What do you think the three main problems in the world? What would you do to change them?' or 'What are your fears? Discuss them with a grown-up'.

The illustrations are beautiful with 'kid friendly' lively pictures alongside the prompts and some pages with beautiful pictures that inspire ideas.

Best of all, my reluctant writer 8 year old son loves writing in it!

Dinosaur Mazes: Dover Little Activity Books
Dinosaur Mazes: Dover Little Activity Books
by Patricia J. Wynne
Edition: Misc.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is very small but well presented., 13 July 2012
The mazes are different and interesting with a good range included to stop it getting repetitive. It is however a very small book and, as such, may not be ideal if you are purchasing this to help develop motor skills.

Halti Dog Harness Small
Halti Dog Harness Small
Offered by Mr Pets

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be SO much better., 8 May 2012
This review is from: Halti Dog Harness Small (Misc.)
I have a medium sized dog but the medium harness was far too big. The small harness fits but is far too thin for a dog this size and does not seem comfortable.

When correctly fitted, it still slides round and rubs. It also works its way loose. Eventually, my dog was able to chew it off, very quickly indeed.

The front fastening works a treat and does control the dog well, but with the flaws in this design it was simply not good enough.

Rocket Up Your Class: 101 high impact activities to start, end and break up lessons: 101 High Impact Activities to Start, Break and End Lessons (Independent Thinking Series)
by Dave Keeling

5.0 out of 5 stars Energising, fun and easy to do., 26 April 2010
Each of the activities in the book is broken into 3 sections: when, why and how. Some are ideal for the beginning of lessons, some are great ways to energise a flagging group and some are excellent ways to help the students revise and remember as a plenary.

They're all given clear reasons as to why they'd be beneficial in the classroom which range from: 'a superb energiser which is great for concentration, hand/eye coordination, group morale and is competitive has hell' to a page full of sensible reasons that are great reminders of what teaching can be about. The 'hows' are easy to follow and most of them don't take much preparation; those that do take a bit more to organise are well worth it.

The author's humour shines through at all times and I can imagine that his students always have a great time and learn more than they realise. It's fun with a purpose - there are lots of activities that encourage whole brain thinking, taking responsibility, challenging how we think and helping them remember their work.

It's obvious that an awful lot of work has gone into gathering all these ideas together and it really is a treasure of a book.

365 Things to Make and Do (Usborne Activities)
365 Things to Make and Do (Usborne Activities)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Varied, fun and straightforward., 5 Sept. 2009
This is packed full of lively, imaginative things to create with little ones. Mostly suitable for primary age children in my opinion though there are quite a few ideas suitable for younger ones, like the hand print pictures. Most of it allows for quite a range of ability and the opportunity to develop the ideas.

It's not a junk modelling book and it would have been useful if they'd managed to incorporate some of the egg box/washing up bottle type projects that have already been mentioned. However, it is an excellent resource for ideas and structure to many, many art projects.

Heartily recommended.

Crayola - Anti Dust Assorted Chalk
Crayola - Anti Dust Assorted Chalk
Offered by Gameseek

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Jun. 2009
These were so dust-proof that they barely wrote on the blackboard and, in trying to make them work, the children have scratched their board quite badly. We got some ordinary cheap chalks and they are much better.

Tropical Fishlopaedia: A Complete Guide to Fish Care
Tropical Fishlopaedia: A Complete Guide to Fish Care
by Mary Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry, preaching tone but invaluable advice and information., 3 Jun. 2009
This book is well researched and extremely informative. If you can get past the negative tone (which really is irritating)this book is well worth having on your shelf.

The only thing missing is detail and pictures of the types of fish available and their compatability with other fish. However, that is easily found in other books on fish keeping and this book is quite substantial without it.

I've given this book 5/5 because despite the negative tone and the lack of index it really is excellent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4