Profile for Simonjhere > Reviews

Content by Simonjhere

Simonjhere

Chemo Cookery Club: Over 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Your Journey to Recovery
by Penny Ericson
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this book from experience!, 14 May 2013
I will first of all declare that I have a personal interest in this book, it is written by my wife Penny and I was the chief guinea pig and apparently the inspiration.

I was first diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2009 and met Penny in 2010 when I was undergoing chemotherapy and struggling badly. I had lost my sense of taste almost completely and my mouth constantly had a metal taste. The cancer support groups really couldn't help me a great deal, yes they had some wonderful information on what to eat and what not to eat but nowhere could I find a way of turning the ingredients in to food that I could actually enjoy.

Penny changed all that. She devised a whole range of recipes that not only looked good and appetising but I could also taste. My appetite returned and I started to put on weight despite the onerous treatment campaign.

4 years on and I am still eating the food in the book and going from strength to strength. I have now had 18 doses of chemotherapy and a very invasive operation that lasted over 14 hours. My surgeons are optimistic for my future and also very clear that it was the food Penny created for me during my treatment that kept me well enough and fit enough to survive my long operation.

There are so many theories about what to eat when you have cancer with a new one in the papers seemingly every day. This book is not prescriptive and not every recipe will suit everyone but there is something there for everybody. The most important aspect of the book from my point of view is the unique 'Thumbs Up' nutritional analysis which tells you exactly what goodness you are taking in and enables you to target your diet.

I have already confessed that I am biased but not just because Penny is my wife, I am also biased because the food from the book saved my life.

Liverpool Football Club Style Plastic Case for Apple iPhone 4 Hard Back Case / Cover

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality and doesnt fit, 6 Dec 2011
This is a poor quality case that broke within 2 days. It doesnt fit properly either. I recommend you avoid as there are much better quality items for sale

The Good Pub Guide 2011
The Good Pub Guide 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the Kindle version, 19 Oct 2011
I was extremely disappointed with the Kindle version of this book which I consider extremely poor value. It is very difficult to use with no index for easy referral. There are no photos. I was extremely disappointed with the number of places recommended by customers but which had clearly not been reviewed or checked by the book's reviewers.

Avoid