Profile for C. M. Simpson > Reviews

Content by C. M. Simpson

C. M. Simpson (London, England)

The Bite on the Line (Bytarend Book 1)
The Bite on the Line (Bytarend Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Once bitten..., 5 Jun. 2014
I have to say that my commutes to work this past week have flown by with my head buried in this funny and engaging book. Having discovered it for free, and been attracted by the 'if you like Terry Pratchett' etc. pitch, I thought I'd give it a go.

The premise of the story is interesting, and the plot well developed, leading to a nicely crafted, and somewhat amusing denouement. The main characters are believable and connected on an emotional level in a way that drew me in and made me care about them. Not something that I can easily say for a lot of novels.

The only (minor) niggle is that throughout there are typos and grammatical blips. Not lots, and they didn't distract from my enjoyment, but with some little tidy ups, this would be a perfect publication. For the story, 5 stars, because of these niggles, I would snip a point or two off... 4.4/4.6 out of 5...

Having finished the book this morning, I'm now craving the next installment. I hope to be reading more from Simon Cantan till the Bytarend...

Pearls of the Elf Lords
Pearls of the Elf Lords

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 4 Mar. 2012
This is a great story. Well developed characters and an engaging plot. The only negative comment about the book is that it is strewn with typos. This is a bugbear of mine. Still a great story and highly recommended.

Celestial Completion
Celestial Completion

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestial Completion - Heavenly near-perfection, 9 April 2011
This is a seriously good album. I have to say that it's not the easiest first listen, in part because of its diversity, but well worth persevering with.

The music is progressive death metal - but with more emphasis on progressive than a lot of other progressive death metal bands. The sound on Celestial Completion is amazing. The vocals (Jason's growls) are augmented by a lot of good quality (not the oft-expected whiney) clean vocals, as well as black metal screams and shrieks. For me, this is a wonderful combination and works beautifully across the album. The musicianship is top notch, as you'd expect from a band as talented as BTA. Changes of personnel have only enhanced the band.

On to the songs: both the music and the lyrics are great. The song structures are varied and complex, which is what one would hope for from BTA. Some criticisms levelled at the album are that it is too diverse. I think this is part of the joy of it: I love the symphonic black metal overture (The Resonant Frequency of Flesh) and The Magnetic Sky is just hypnotizing in its textures, layers and sheer beauty. Virtually all of the tracks are near-perfect. The one that most criticise is Cardiac Rebellion. Understandable given that it starts with sitar and tabla and progresses through a few twists and turns to end up in brass laden ska-territory. Having paid especial attention to this track, it's grown on me and, whilst not being my favourite, it is not a weak song by any means. Perfect weird would not be an unfair comment...

Compared to previous BTA offerings, this is right up there.There's not been a bad album yet from them - and few space fillers over four offerings. It doesn't have the same instant sense of gratification as Terminate Damnation (a very fine debut) or The Physics of Fire, but that's part of maturity - instant gratification doesn't always mean a lasting satisfaction. After numerous listenings to Celestial Completion, my opinion: not quite perfect, but not far off at all. 4.8 stars.

Hang Your Stocking Start the Rocking
Hang Your Stocking Start the Rocking

4.0 out of 5 stars "It's Chrisssstmasssss!", 28 Oct. 2010
I bought this having heard Jingle Bells on a free compilation, and was not disappointed. This is great Christmas music - rocky, punky, earthy... everything except saccharine. My little kids love it and it's a real uplift to counter the drain of the commercial horror that Christmas has become... love it, live it, buy it.

Into The Wind
Into The Wind

4.0 out of 5 stars What an unexpected joy!, 28 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Into The Wind (MP3 Download)
This is coooool! The combination of ancient oriental stringed instrument and dancy grooves is great to chill out to. And for 69p you'd be a fool to pass this up. There's a spiritual element to this music, which sits beautifully with the feel of the album - making your soul and your body want to move!

Ragamuffin Soul
Ragamuffin Soul

4.0 out of 5 stars Ragamuffin's good for the Soul, 28 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Ragamuffin Soul (MP3 Download)
This is a good album. As with most things 'ragamuffin', the emphasis is really on grace - which is no bad thing. There are quite a few standout tracks: Rain it down, We will worship (which has some great lyrics!), Jesus Saves, and Grace already won stand out in particular. Worth listening to the samples and, if you're unsure, there's the three track ep you can buy. If you're put off by the album cover (tattooed shaven headed heavy-metal looking man), don't be! His voice and the tone of the album are nothing like that! Go on, have a listen, and enjoy...

Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black
Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but prone to failing after a few months, 6 July 2008
I've owned 3 pairs of these in the past 2 years. I bought them on the back of great reviews - I wanted to protect my hearing by reducing background noise so I can reduce my iPod's volume. They're great for this.

But as you'll note, I had 3 pairs in less than 2 years. The first pair, bought from Amazon Marketplace failed after about 9 months. What was the problem? I started to think I was going deaf in my right ear as high end sounds had disappeared. So I changed the ear phones round and then thought I was going deaf in my left ear.

My second pair failed after about 6 months. My third pair has just failed after 4 months.

I'm not a heavy user; I'm careful to loosely wrap them when storing them.

I can only assume there must be a design flaw. It's always the right earphone (the one with the longer cable) that fails. Never the left one.

I've decided to buy a different pair from a different manufacturer. Shame really; I'd like to think design values and durability were important, so that us customers were not left in this situation.

If these headphones hadn't failed repeatedly, I'd have given a 4 or 5 star review. As it is, one star off per failed pair of headphones.

Caveat emptor!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2008 11:30 AM BST