Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "MjD" (Edinburgh, Scotland. { Kobe, Japan. Saipan. Alabama.})
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17
Corel AfterShot Pro (PC/Mac/Linux)
Corel AfterShot Pro (PC/Mac/Linux)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - should do better, 23 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being a keen and prolific photographer who also likes to play around with post-processing I hoped that Corel Aftershot Pro would be a nice addition to my software suite (Adobe PS Elements 8, Corel PaintShop Pro X4, etc). However, I was somewhat disappointed - while a fine concept I didn't find it particularly intuitive to use and the editing photo editing mode was annoyingly very jerky & imprecise. Some of the preset outputs are decent (I especially liked the Sepia Light with Colour mode) it is not as good as either X4 or the far superior Adobe PSE or Lightroom. Personally I'd spend the little extra for Adobe.

The Goon Show: Volume 29: We're In The Wrong House Again! (Radio Collection)
The Goon Show: Volume 29: We're In The Wrong House Again! (Radio Collection)
by Spike Milligan
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Still funny, 23 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Classic Goon Show. Even though the Goon Show is from (many years) before my time, the humour is classic. On the whole the skits haven't aged and are as funny today as 50+ years ago, some may not have travelled so well but the volume of laughs on this CD is worth the indulgence. Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe and Spike Milligan were national treasures & indubitably witty, smart & funny. A great collection for old fans and new. Hilarious!

Frommer's England with Wales 2012 (Frommer's Complete)
Frommer's England with Wales 2012 (Frommer's Complete)
by Nick Dalton

4.0 out of 5 stars Great England, 7 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great new edition of the Frommers guide to England. Useful for details of places to visit, hotels, restaurants, etc, though an understandably limited selection. I get the impression this is particularly aimed at foreign (American) tourists as it is somewhat light on substance and aims to be all things to all people. Nonetheless it is a useful book with lots of useful information though a little London & South England centric. This guide book will be especially useful for the first time visitor but still has useful information for the frequent visitor.

The Voyages of the Princess Matilda
The Voyages of the Princess Matilda
by Shane Spall

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 7 May 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"The Voyages of the Princess Matilda" by Shane Spall is a wonderfully enchanting book. Being a big fan of the TV series "All at Sea" which follows the great actor Timothy Spall (Secrets & Lies, Shooting the Past, etc) & his wife Shane as they tramp around the British Isles on their Dutch Barge "Princess Matilda". This book is a companion travelogue & biography to their adventures at sea. The book covers both their travels at sea, with oft hilarious anecdotes of misadventures by these amateur sailors interspersed with biographical flashbacks particularly concerning Tim's struggle to overcome Leukaemia. The book portrays the Spalls as very likeable and surprisingly mundane people, who love a good curry in each port & shop at the Co-op, not very Hollywood yet charming. The book is written with pathos, honesty & humour - I loved it. Hope there will be a 2nd instalment soon.

Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star: Bedtime Songs and Lullabies (Audiogo)
Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star: Bedtime Songs and Lullabies (Audiogo)
by Deryn Edwards
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Twinkle on..& to sleep, 25 Mar. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This CD does what it claims..lulls the kiddies to sleep. Received this a few days ago and on the first night playing it for my kids (2 & 6) at bedtime the older child claimed it made her sleepy & was fast asleep by the 3rd track. Wow...usually takes an hour to settle them. Some customers have mentioned that the tone of the singing is somewhat monosyllabic, etc - I think this was probably purposeful as to help lull the kids to sleep & not to invigorate them as more cheery singing might do. It is a bedtime CD!

Ali and Ramazan
Ali and Ramazan
by Perihan Magden

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 25 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Ali and Ramazan (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this short novel. It was an amazing, though unusual & disturbing story about love, dependency and destruction. The prose was colourful, descriptive and lyrical - it really gave a feeling of observing the back-street slums of Istanbul. I'd not come across this writer before and it's not normally the type of book I'd pick but I was glad I did, I was gripped by the powerful & heart-aching story - as it shows that love & pain transcend gender & it is a universal truth. I would highly recommend this book.

FX Factory 1 Amp USB Mains Charger for iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, HTC, Kindle, Tom Tom, Navman

5.0 out of 5 stars A charge ahead, 25 Mar. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great little product. I got this as a back-up/spare to keep in my travel bag, there is always something needing a charge while travelling - Kindle, Android, Blackberry, Camera, Satnav, etc and having a spare USB charger is always useful. Great buy.

The Tunnel
The Tunnel
by Ernesto Sabato

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really for me.., 16 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Tunnel (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is really well written, innovative for its era, a fine premise however the story just did not enthral me. When I'm reading fiction - whether a novel, novella or short story the most important thing for me is to get into the story - to want to know what happens next or to be excited about the characters, the plot, the journey. For me, this didn't happen with this book - I've tried reading it twice now and while acknowledging the writers technical ability I just didn't really enjoy it.

Practise & Learn: English (Ages 6-7)
Practise & Learn: English (Ages 6-7)
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit too easy but fun, 16 Feb. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book for my 6 year old daughter to practice her English as the school never seems to issue enough homework. She really enjoyed the exercises in the book and was able to work through it without any assistance. She spent an afternoon working through it happily & showing me what she was doing. The only issues I had with this book is that it is too short and seems to be too easy. A normal student will get through the whole book in a few hours. The questions & exercises are fun, innovative & just right to keep a six year old interested - I think a 7 year old may find this far too easy. Probably more suited for age 5-6.

Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most
Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most
by Michael Fullan

3.0 out of 5 stars Contradictory advice, 16 Feb. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most By: Michael Fullan is not completely satisfactory. Change Management is a subject that interests me significantly as I work as Project Manager in the Business Change dept of a large global financial institution. Therefore I have read & studied Change Management to a certain extent.
None of the topics covered in this book are particularly new or revolutionary. Many of the ideas make sense however it's not always easy to put idealised theory into practice in a real world situation. People are not always predictable and easy to convince - motivation & empathy while nice ideals don't always work in the real world.
The book covers topics such as: Practice drives Theory, Act with purpose, Empathy, Motivation, learning, knowledge & Simplicity. The biggest problem I have with this book is the contradictions - he espouses how practice is better than theory before putting across that his theory is the best and is what we should practice. He should have listened to his own advice good advice in the preface - Quote "the most effective leaders use practice as their fertile learning ground. They never go from theory to practice or research evidence to application".

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17