Profile for Wolfers > Reviews

Spinning Coin
Spinning Coin
Offered by dischiniccoli

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember this....I certainly will, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Spinning Coin (Audio CD)
Another stunner from legendary brit bluesman John Mayall.
As my review title might indicate, my favourite track is the superb Remember This, featuring a stunning solo from Buddy Whittington, truly awesome!!!
The rest of the album is peppered with some great work, certainly on a par with Wake Up Call.
Aint No Brakeman, Long Story Short, Voodoo Music, Fan The Flames and ofcourse Remember This are just the highlights of a very consistent album . The title track and When The Devil Starts Crying feature some great acoustic guitar from Buddy.
And ofcourse kudos to Joe and Rick in support.A remarkable album in the canon of Bluesbreakers albums.

Stanley Road [Deluxe Edition]
Stanley Road [Deluxe Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars a road weller worth treading, 3 May 2014
Revisiting this album after such a long time and I have to say , to quote Weller "time passes so quickly",its genius hasnt diminished over the years.A truly outstanding album in every sense of the word.
Stanley Road, Broken Stones, You Do Something To Me, Changing Man, Out Of The Sinking?I could by default just name every track, because simply put, every track is a gem.
This 3 disc set incl.full album and associated single b.sides.
Speaking of which, if my memory hasnt failed me, wasn't Dylans I Shall Be Released not a bonus track on Out Of The Sinking, and if so, why is that omitted?
What I do like however is that the disc 2 pretty much has demo versions of the whole S R album, which enables you to preprogram the track listing and listen to an edgy raw version of the album.
Disc 3 is a dvd which gives a nice insight into the creativity involved in the making of the album.
A nice addition would have been the FULL video promo, s of the singles, but hey, im knit picking.
I would urge anybody deliberating over buying this to STOP DELIBERATING and just buy it.
I did, to replace the original cd release, and in addition to having the original vinyl, which I had forgot I owned until after purchasing this, and a few days later having a loft sort through and finding this and Oasis, s 1st 2 albums up there also.Sheesh kebab!!! I dont regret it one bit, because this album does something to me, somewhere deep inside.Oops another lyric creeping in there methinks.
And yes we know the riff on Changing Man was a direct rip from ELO.

H.G.Wells Companion: A Guide to the Novels, Romances and Short Stories (Literary Companions)
by J. R. Hammond

5.0 out of 5 stars it does what it says, 3 May 2014
Ive owned this book since I first became an H G fan aged 12(first story I read-Time Machine),and it really is an invaluable reference book to have at your side.
The book is nicely set up into parts, firstly giving you a sufficiently biographical account of Wells, his background, family etc.
The book is then divided into sections on Short fiction, Romances(Science fiction),novels and character references.
And this is where the book is great to have at hand because whether you are deciding to read any of the genres you can quickly flick to the appropriate page in this book and have a brief synopsis on the book at hand and characters involved.Particularly useful if you are delving into Wells, s short fiction of which he wrote a great many, some genre defining classics(The Star, The Door in the Wall),and yes some sub standard run of the mill sories.
All in all a great book that deals with the meat and bones of Wells fiction rather than his political ideals, and just gives enough detailed info on what, in essence, Wells is best loved for.
Also incl.some b/w pictures and map of Horsell Common, showing the movements Wells had planned for the Tripods(WOTW).

Live From Across The Pond
Live From Across The Pond
Offered by srotceh66

4.0 out of 5 stars understandable performance, 2 May 2014
Some reviewers have commented that this is 1.not his best live album and 2.the audience were subdued and that the Albert Hall was half full as this was a support slot for EC.
As a huge Walter Trout fan you can tell when an artist feeds off his audience.
Walt is a prime example as ive seen him tons of times, and can testify to shows from good to outstanding.The good is Walt doing his best with an audience that while obviously enjoying the show aren't exactly ecstatic participants. Excellent is when he gets a crowd in the palm in his hand and can deliver a truly heartfelt performance from the soul.
I guess what im trying to say is that this is a great live album which, taking into account the above factors,could have been so much better, but is still a great RC performance( listen to 12 Year Old Boy).
Robert IS an astounding performer, see him live, but please do not be swayed from NOT buying this album.
Great music, great band....Great!!!!
I met drummer Kevin Hayes a couple of years ago hitting the skins for Matt Schofield and he said drumming for Robert was an amazing time.I concur.

The Ladykillers: Those Glorious Ealing Films [SOUNDTRACK]
The Ladykillers: Those Glorious Ealing Films [SOUNDTRACK]
Offered by In Tune UK

5.0 out of 5 stars a Killer album, 2 May 2014
If, like me, you adore the Ealing films, then this cd is a pure pleasure nostalgia trip.
Evoking a period of British film making in its prime.
Obviously there are omissions, a 2 cd set would have been nirvana, but this set includes some of the key music from key Ealing films.
Sit back, slip in the disc, read the booklet, and enjoy some heart warming music over a cup of cocoa, and wait for that smile to cross your face.Lovely!!

Creepshow 3 [2006] [DVD]
Creepshow 3 [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephanie Pettee
Offered by replay-international

1.0 out of 5 stars what a pile, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Creepshow 3 [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
To coin a phrase from Creepshow 1,"meteor s***!!!!".I watched to the end before it was off to the nearest charity shop
AVOID AT ALL COSTS EVEN IF IT IS 1p plus p&p
It's just a cash in on the name and has no redeeming features at all.Its needs to be in THAT crate!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2014 9:54 AM BST

Dirk Wears White Sox
Dirk Wears White Sox

5.0 out of 5 stars im 18 again!!!!!, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
Ive never heard this since 1984 when my tastes, lifestyle etc went in different directions.
Im now, middle aged, testing my youthful tastes, and I thought, since the new resurgence of Adam I thought, lets give Sox a whirl and see if it was really as good as my memory recalled.It wasn't....it was better!!!What a fantastic album.
Oh my memory of the vinyl singles I had and this album just took me straight back to 79.
Cartrouble came on and I was back there instantly.
Nine Plan Failed, Day I Met God, Cleopatra, Table Talk.
This album holds up unbelievably well with some of todays indie bands and can't recommend this enough to the younger generation.
Some reviewers have commented on the production lacking, but I think the reverse, it has a no nonsense sound to it which makes it sound raw in a great way.Its not punk per se, more a cross of avante garde, indie, etc.
Lyrically dark, with which some might find offensive, and as far away from the Prince Charming Ants as you could get.
I guarantee you will love this album.I did, and now I find, I still do.
great bonus tracks also, Zerox, Physical, Kick etc.

Get Carter [Blu-ray] [1971] [Region Free]
Get Carter [Blu-ray] [1971] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Michael Caine

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasted opportunity, 29 April 2014
What a great shame that Warner have released this vanilla disc, let alone that it has the dumbed down intro AND is nothing more than a dvd upscale.
I find it strange that they think Americans may not understand the Cockney lingo, and yet Micheal Caine is untampered.
Methinks it also strange that Dick Van Dyke doing a faux Cockney accent in Mary Poppins would be understood and yet in GC not so.
Fans have waited so long for a generous release of what is THE best British gangster film bar none that this release is really an insult.
5 stars for the film,1 for this blu ray release.
And please, look at customer images as I have put some photo, s on of some of the locations for an American fan who wanted to know what the places looked like now.Some, if not all, you will recognise instantly.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Conjuring [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
The Conjuring [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Vera Farmiga

4.0 out of 5 stars effective and best of the bunch, 28 April 2014
Not a match on Orphanage, Devils Backbone et al, but never the less a very spooky film.
If a horror/ghost story can make you jump then to me its done its job.
This made me jump a number of times inducing sphincter tightening spasms of scare, therefore doing its job.
Certainly scarier than Mama, although I did enjoy that too.
Enjoy, but dont watch on your own.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2014 1:16 PM BST

Creepshow [VINYL]
Creepshow [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Meteor S..t time!!!!!, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Creepshow [VINYL] (Vinyl)
If you're a fan of Creepshow then boy do you need this album.
A brilliant gatefold album with attached booklet giving loads of info on the film music.
A nice art print(mine had 2 in by mistake how cool is that).
The music...well that speaks for itself, truly awesome!!!
And to top this fathers day cake, its in a sumptuously Meteor S*** green vinyl.
Buy buy buy!!!!!!
I WANT MY CAKE AND I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!
Its a collectors dream, and this fully remastered vinyl sounds great on my hi fi.
Verilly a great item (pun...get it?).
See my customers image above
Comment Comment | Permalink