Profile for wolfers > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rocket Man
Rocket Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate, unique!!, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Rocket Man (Vinyl)
2 covers of Elton John songs, wonderfully and uniquely interpreted by Kate.
Rocket Man featured on the Two Rooms tribute album and Candle In the Wind was specifically recorded for this single.
The album for me was a hit and miss affair and by far the best tracks were Border Song by Clapton, Madman Across The Water by Bruce Hornsby and these by Kate.
Uniquely interpreted by Kate and sufficiently different from the originals.
Kate fans should own this and Elton fans who collect covers of his songs will find these to be respectfully done.
Beautiful!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2014 9:16 PM GMT

blues groove LP
blues groove LP

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz, blues at its best, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: blues groove LP (Vinyl)
This really is a top notch jazzy blues swing album.
The arrangements are just so toe tappingly great.
Blues standards get the Woody treatment and wow will you love it.
Everday I Have The Blues, Smack Dab In The Middle, a funky piano led Pinetop Blues, Call It Stormy Monday.
I could go on and on about this album but that would spoil your treat.
If you love blues with a tint of jazz swing then boy do you need to have this, it is stunning

The Return of Sherlock Holmes: v. 3 (BBC Audio)
The Return of Sherlock Holmes: v. 3 (BBC Audio)
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars No clues required, 16 Aug. 2014
To my mind these BBC radio plays starring Clive Merrison and Michael Williams are the next best thing to the DEFINATIVE Holmes;Jeremy Brett.Great stories, atmosphere and tension supported by some other inspired casting.
If you love Holmes then these really are for you.A pure joy to the ears.

Ealing Studios Collection: Volume 1  [1949] [Blu-ray]
Ealing Studios Collection: Volume 1 [1949] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Alec Guinness

5.0 out of 5 stars British movie making at its finest., 15 Aug. 2014
Great hi def release of 3 classic Ealing films.
A joy to behold in hd with virtually nil scratches and good contrasts to boot.
Timeless entertainment in its best release visually, yet.
A reasonable amount of extras, but as this vol.1 of more to come presumably, a nice documentary or 2 would have been a nice touch. DEAD OF NIGHT is available on its own and looks fab, and has a nice documentary.
Overall well worth the hd upgrade.

Breakin' The Rules
Breakin' The Rules

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime- a one trick pony? I think not-Walter, keep breaking those rules kiddo!!!, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Breakin' The Rules (Audio CD)
A truly awesome album from Walt and long time stalwarts mssrs Trapp and Pershey, feat.Martin Gerschwitz on keyboards.
Another album of various mixed styles.
The opening track To Begin Again is Walt baring his soul at his despondency with his previous management and his wanting to do his THANG his way:"To begin again was all that I needed, and maybe win again, but it all seemed so far away".Despite its subject matter this is a great upbeat opener.A similar theme/subject matter in the next track,How Much Do You Want, this time angry and raw:"Wake up in the morning and ask yourself what can I take today, you see the chance that your waitng for, you fill your pockets, turn around and walk away".Angry dirty blues solo from Walter.
A change of mood in the next 2 tracks, Under My Skin and Like A Stranger.Under My Skin I suspect is about Marie, who at this stage took control of managing Walts career:"You're the only one who can look inside me, with everything I am I belong to you".Like A Stranger again has a slight return to were Walts anger was directed at, at this time:"Feelin like an empty cup, nothing left inside".Surrounded By Eden is a stunning funky track with some not usually sounding Walt guitar, again directed to his love of Marie.Breaking The Rules, the title track is an all out rock song directed again at his ex management:""Then you tell me that im doing wrong coz I don't wanna go along, I ain't toin the line, I don't wanna be like you".
The Reason Im Gone is about a love betrayal, and is a truly awesome blues track with an out of this world guitar solo.To hear this live when Walt toured this album had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.
A similar theme of love revenge this time in Put It Right Back On You:"I bet that you think its funny what youre trying to do with me, you say you re takin all of my money,but there, s things that you just don't see, coz I'll be right here, yes I'll be here . I'll be watching everything that you do, better believe it baby, I'm gonna put it right back on you".I related strongly to this song myself at a moment in my life.Say no more.
I Don't Wanna Be Lonely speaks for itself and is a fantastic ballad.
Lady Luck is a good bluesy ish song but is probably the weakest track on the album.Although a much better live acoustic alternative version with just Walt and Martin is available on the Breaking the Rules cd single.
Watch Her Dance is a fantastic album end of track and defies categorisation as there are so many elements to it.Its hard to believe this is a Walter Trout song.
So overall this is a 10/10 album that is stunning from tip to toe.Top production after the the fiasco of the previous Tellin Stories album, and paved the way for what is one of Walter, s BEST albums, Positively Beale Street.

In The Flesh - Series 1-2 [Blu-ray]
In The Flesh - Series 1-2 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Luke Newberry

5.0 out of 5 stars Eatenders!!!, 11 Aug. 2014
This is tv drama at its best, even though it involves zombies who have been treated and reinstated back into the community.So you could draw parallels, or a social commentary on todays society, of being different, or from a different culture.It just so happens that the prejudice here is zombies, albeit zombies with emotions. Yes folks its a soap opera with a bite(haha).Yes there are some quite graphic scenes but what carries this series is the quality of the writing. So these rotters(as they are called), move around the community dealing with prejudice, bigotry, problems and emotions within the family unit.Told you it was a soap.
No spoilers here, but I have to say this series,1 and 2 is a refreshing change and utterly compelling, funny in parts, gory in parts, but utterly rewarding.Fingers crossed for a season 3.
You really dont know what your missing.
NOW FOR MY ONLY GRIPE
The set is devoid of any extra, s-shameful
And when you select PLAY ALL you still get the PREVIOUSLY showing what you've just seen.Surely when releasing a series to dvd/blu this is would be an easy thing to remove.I just find it annoying.I am aware some series releases do this or atleast give the option to omit it.

One Million Years BC [DVD] [1966]
One Million Years BC [DVD] [1966]
Dvd ~ Raquel Welch

5.0 out of 5 stars what dinosaurs?, 10 Aug. 2014
I didnt know there were dinosaurs in this film as my eyes were never off Raquel, oh to be one of the cave men ug ug, I would have loved to have shown Raquel my club!!
A great film for those wtho love monster movies or a gorgeous cave woman.And ofcourse Ray H, s classic stop motion dino, s.The Valley of Gwangi is another fave of mine.

Great Expectations [Blu-ray]
Great Expectations [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ John Mills
Offered by A2Z Entertains

1.0 out of 5 stars ITV are DICK ens, 10 Aug. 2014
A classic film without any doubt
But this blu ray is lacking any clout.
Why bother to transfer without any upgrade
The standard dvd even puts this in the shade.
Oh ITV why bother at all
We buy and we try
To find you've made monkey, s of us all.
So dear customer if you are contemplating this
Take it from me ITV are taking the ..ss.
I am a descendant of poet W.W.Gibson so forgive me little ditty
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2014 6:56 PM BST

Medal of Honor - Limited Edition (PS3)
Medal of Honor - Limited Edition (PS3)
Offered by Base

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for the bonus retro, 9 Aug. 2014
Bought mainly for the bonus Remastered Frontline as I wanted to revisit the game in hd . Definitely had a nice makeover and just as good as I can remember.
The new game is not quite as smooth or thrilling as COD but still not deserving of its poor negative rating.Worth £3 of anybody, s money just for Frontline if you fancy a nostalgic trip, so in that respect value for money.2 good games all said and done.

White Sugar
White Sugar

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the beauty on the sleeve, this is stunning!!!!, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: White Sugar (Audio CD)
J.S.T, s 2009 debut, produced by legendary Jim Gaines.
For a debut album this is full of self penned, filled with passion, fiery, fierce guitar solo, s and riffs.Moody Going Home, Bones, Time Has Come(Wow what a blistering solo),and the title track White Sugar, an instrumental that matches anything you will hear from SRV, Winter, Bonamassa and Trout, phenominal.10 Tracks in total that will just have you pressing the play button as soon as its finnished.A couple of lightish tracks in Just Another Word and Heavy Heart which are very soulful and in which JST shows off her very gravelly voice.Where the hell does a petit little blond Northern lass get that deep south voice from?
Do not hesitate, buy try and then pick your jaw up from the floor.After that go for her equally stunning Diamonds In The Dirt.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20