Profile for Monica > Reviews

The Infernal Devices 3: Clockwork Princess
by Cassandra Clare

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-blowing crescendo to a beautiful series, 30 May 2013
*WARNING SPOILERS*

At first I was slightly disappointed with the pace of the plot as the only real action began within the last few chapters of the book. However, it was nice to revisit the scenery of Victorian London and especially as Cassandra maintains the humour between Tessa, Will and Jem as in the previous books in the series. The reader also engages more with other characters compared to the previous books as we take an insight into Sophie's character and discover her genuine personality and ambitions rather than just discard her as the maid of the institute. Gabriel Lightwood is also intriguing as he becomes loyal to Charlotte and ironically falls in love with Cecily Herondale, who is so similar to her brother, the reader is left chuckling to themselves as her personality mirror Will's faultlessly.

The love triangle between Jem, Tessa and Will is so controversial as to how Tessa will decide and bear the burden of her other friend. Although, Clare creates a fluctuant relationship as Tessa is married to Jem, yet she can't contain her feelings for Will. As Jem is believed to have died, Tessa and Will's love is rekindled and Will is free to release all his supressed feelings for Tessa, but when they discover that Jem has not died but has chosen the life of a silent brother, all anxiety is re-ignited as Will and Tessa bear the silence of guilt. Eventually, Tessa and Will get married despite Jem as a Silent brother and they grow old together with lovely children. With Will's inevitable death from old age, the epilogue encompasses the whole story together as Tessa meets Jem for the first time as a shadowhunter again and once again their relationship is consolidated. Even though this may cause sympathy towards Will I was reassured as they already had a happy life together. Clare made a wise decision with this ending as Jem seems to be the one who ties them all together and he is the most selfless and moral character amongst the others.Clare also added hints that linked to TMI as Brother Zachariah (Jem) always acted different from the other brothers and the box Jace is given must have been the box that Jem gave to Will which had, had his Yin fen. It also explains why Magnus' sympathises with the shadowhunters and helps them in TMI because he was also loyal and trusting to Will & co.

The other things that I was disappointed with were the couplings of Gideon and Sophie, Gabriel and Cecily as it was too cliché for the storyline. The actual conclusion of the Magister was annoying as his death was too easily executed, given he must be a very powerful villain and the clockwork creatures were practically invincible with no resistence to seraph blades etc.

Anyway,I have really enjoyed this series alongside The Mortal Instruments and would recommend it to any friend.

Finale (Hush Hush)
Finale (Hush Hush)
by Becca Fitzpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Best conclusion to an amazing story!, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: Finale (Hush Hush) (Hardcover)
I was so excited to get this book I actually went all the way to waterstones, I got one for me and my best friend. It was so worth it, I finished it within a week!

Once I opened the book I could never put it down! The story begins from the ending of the third book -silence. The story starts when Nora is interrogated by the most influential nephilim in black robes. It is clear that they don't trust her to be the leader of their nephilim race and they underestimate her. Scott has got her back and has the final word when he tells them that she will be trained in preperation for the war.

We meet some new characters along the way who help Nora one the way to proving her true abilities such as Dante another nephilim who is introduced to Nora through Scott. The book is full of mystery and suspense as we find out more and more secrets between the different characters. Also, as things get more intense, we see a side of patch that we have not seen in the other books. Patch and Nora's relationship is tested throughout the book especially since dating a fallen angel does not look good for Nora, as leader for the nephilim. Some old characters return to the story such as Dabria who tried to kill Nora in the first book and Rixon-Patch's ex-best friend. Further in the book, we become suspicous of the new characters especially as they become more mysterious.........

As for the familiar characters, Scott returns to Nora's aid as he sweared an oath to look after Nora and Vee is still determined to make him her boyfriend. In Nora's (normal life), just when the stress of leading an army has overwhelmed her, Marcie, Nora's arch nemesis, decides that her home life is now neglected and chooses to move in with Nora as a result. Nora is suprised and frustrated by this but she gives Marcie the benefit of the doubt since Marcie must be grieving her father's death. Moreover, with Marcie's kind new approach to her, she bears the thought of Marcie living in the same house to the extent that she believes it wil just be a temporary stay.

When the day of the final battle occurs, Nora's anxiety increases but with the whole nephilim race at risk, Nora knows she cannot afford to avoid conflict. The stakes are high and with the hope that Patch and her friends will be by her side, Nora fights her most troubling enemies with her new training skills at hand.

Will Nora and her friends be successful?? well,there's only one way to find out........

Danielle Steele 'Danielle' Pink & Black Lace Bookmark
Danielle Steele 'Danielle' Pink & Black Lace Bookmark
Offered by DELTA TOOL CO

3.0 out of 5 stars Not work Your Money!, 7 July 2012
The reason I bought this product was to find a decent bookmark. I chose this because I find that magnet bookmarks can easily rip a page in the book. I chose this because I thought the material was nice and the lacing was pretty also because the silver disc weight on the end.

When it came in the post I was immediately dissapointed as the product was cheaply made; the ribbon part more plastic than ribbon with a harsh texture as if it was a toy. Also the (silver disc weight) was made of a cheap metal which held no weight at all. I was hoping for it to provide some weight to secure the page. Also, the whole thing is folded in a specific place so that you could not adjust how to place it in the book. The worst part was actually putting it in the book as the silver disc would cause a lump in the book when I closed it. I didn't think it was designed to be used that way so I placed the bookmark so the silver disc was hanging out at the end of the book which meant thatthe whole bookmark was used so the fold was permanently in shape when I had to mark my page.

The product was manageable but I wouldn'tt recommend it to any of my friends. The product was cheap and not worth buying. Just stick to buying a normal bookmark.

Mortal Instruments 5: City of Lost Souls
Mortal Instruments 5: City of Lost Souls
by Cassandra Clare

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!!!!, 7 July 2012
If you didn't like the other books in the series DO NOT READ THIS.

I pre-ordered this book online so that I could recieve it as soon as the title was released.

The book arrived early and I was so happy! The book cover is excellent with Jace and Clary (the two main characters). The book was brand new in perfect condition (as Amazon is very good at handling their books).

As soon as I opened the packaging, I sat down and started reading and it was..........AMAZING!!!!

The story is continued from City of Fallen angels. The storyline is set 2 weeks later after everyone has discovered that Jace is missing with the frightening possibility that Sebastion has kidnapped him as his body is no longer in the glass case.

It is interesting how throughout the book, Cassandra Clare always switches from different characters leaving us with temporary cliffhangers.It was also clever how she subtly included things from the prequel series: Clockwork Angel + Clockwork Prince.

What I admired about how it was written was that her style of writing was still similar to the other books in the series but also slighty different. Also, that she didn't begin the story and continue it at a slow pace, which woud lead to the main events of how to find Jace and Sebastion. Also, although the whole incident is quite serious Clare still manages to insert humour especially through Simon and Jace.

This is my favourite book out of the whole series because there are so many things that happen which keep the reader captivated at all times in the book. Also, we meet some familiar characters from the previous book (City of Fallen Angles); Maureen. Maia and Kyle/Jordan,Magnus,Camille etc. Some characters from the ancient time of clockwork angel/prince are also introduced like Woosley Scott. Also, a new adventure is created through Clary's reckless actions when she decides that she alone should find Jace. As Clary joins Jace and Sebastion she discovers that they are able to transport from one dimension to another through a moving house previously owned by Valentine, using this clever house, they travel the world sightseeing different countries and aswell as also enjoying her stay Clary is still concerned about Sebastion and what he is hidding......

This book is the BEST! Please just buy it or you will regret it. My onlycomplaint is that the book was not long enough and now I have to wait for the next upcoming book!

Michel Roux: A Life In The Kitchen
Michel Roux: A Life In The Kitchen
by Michel Roux Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 27 April 2011
I love this book!!! When I recieved the book it was very well packaged and the book is bigger than i expected. The book is very good quality. It has many photos of Michel roux and his friends and family and during his biography he also suggests a lot of simple recipes. The book even has a ribbon thing to use as a book mark! I couldn't stop reading the book and it is very hard to stop reading

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED + Good value for money!!!