Profile for Hakan Sandgren > Reviews

Content by Hakan Sandgren

Hakan Sandgren (Southport, Australia)

George Clarke's Amazing Spaces: Series 1 [DVD]
George Clarke's Amazing Spaces: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Clarke
Price: 12.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great people make fantastic and amazing spaces, 28 May 2014
This series is fantastic. The spaces that are being transformed in various ways are inspiring. As mentioned in the heading, what I particularly found great about this series are the people in it. Hardly without exception, I not only liked the projects but the people that were involved. George's mate William is a delight throughout the series and the rest of those involved makes you feel good. If this is pure luck or not will perhaps be revealed when I start watching series two. In summary, this a series that makes you feel good all the way.

The Restoration Man: Series 2 [DVD]
The Restoration Man: Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ George Clarke
Price: 15.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous program but a couple too many revisits, 28 May 2014
A new renovation with George Clark is always very good. If they were all new renovations, it would have been five stars. There are, in all, seven revisits to renovations that have been in earlier programmes out of the 16 episodes. Six revisits are from series one and one is actually a revisit of a series two renovation later on in the series. Perhaps, if I had watched them spaced out a bit further, it would have been better. As it is, I watched both series one and two over about five weeks so, when I got to a revisited renovations, it felt like I had been there recently. Even this would not have mattered as new material had been added in places. However, when nothing further had happened with the actual renovation since the first programme, there was a bit of an anti-climax. Sure, it is interesting to know that the person that did the renovation ran out of money or steam but to sit through an entire programme with mainly the material from the original episode to find that out was a bit irritating. Nevertheless, there are nine fantastic new renovation projects that are exciting and they are worth getting the series for.

Cornwall [DVD]
Cornwall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Caroline Quentin
Price: 10.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much of a advertorial, 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: Cornwall [DVD] (DVD)
I love Cornwall and enjoyed the scenery. What bothered me was that we were taken back to the same places several times. I got the feeling, rightly or wrongly, that it was possible to buy spots in this programme. I had watched Caroline Quentin travelling through India just prior to watching this DVD and I was impressed by her way of approaching locals she met along the way. I was not impressed this time. Maybe I was in a different mood but it felt staged rather than natural. Sure, the places that were visited were interesting the first time they appeared but that should have been the only time we went there.

Death in Paradise - Series 1 [DVD]
Death in Paradise - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Miller
Price: 8.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Good viewing if you have teenagers at home, 12 Sep 2012
Yes, there are murders all around (another Midsomer, perhaps) but this turned out to be a series that the whole family liked. Inspector Pool's insistence on keeping his 'Englishness' while posted to a Caribbean island could have made this a really silly show but it has been handled very well. The cast is doing very well and the balance between locals, tourists, English officials and the French restaurant owner, Detective Sergeant Camille Bordey's mother, is great. Sara Martins is great as Bordey and the other two police officers at the station play their parts in the mysteries very well. There are plenty of laughs while Pool gets all the facts sorted out in his head. The Poirot/Miss Marple-style final gathering when the finer points are revealed works well here. I am pleased that Pool did not get sent back to London at the end of the series and that a second series is on the way.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2013 8:39 PM BST

Lost Kingdoms of Africa [DVD]
Lost Kingdoms of Africa [DVD]
Price: 14.11

4.0 out of 5 stars A journey to Africa, 12 Sep 2012
Gus Casely-Hayford is a great presenter and the series is very enjoyable. Among other things, his willingness to get in among the action was great. Participating in a Sufi ritual and challenging a local wrestler stood out. I do not think Casely-Hayford's brief was easy. Apart from the first episode, which worked beautifully, I got the feeling that he was working too hard to find connections, which to a novice in African History like me sounded too far fetched. Historical research may have, or will soon, show that he is correct but I had difficulties following the rather large steps in his reasoning at times. If this was Casely-Hayford's idea or came from some script writer is hard to tell. I was a bit annoyed by the subtitles that seemed to occur when an African spoke, though the English was often very good. On the other hand, a Frenchman whose English was less clear was not subtitled. Nevertheless, I would recommend this DVD to all keen travelers like myself, not to talk about History buffs. A few places in Africa went up several positions on my list of places to visit before I kick the bucket.

Wallander - Collected Films 1-7 [DVD]
Wallander - Collected Films 1-7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Krister Henriksson
Offered by MovieStore
Price: 29.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Wallander, 12 Sep 2012
Having watched both Kenneth Brannagh and Rolf Lassgard as Kurt Wallander, it was with interest that I watched the first seven films with Krister Henriksson. Before I write about this particular take on Henning Mankell's work, it is without doubt Mankell's superb stories that should get the largest credit for the Wallander mysteries being such compelling viewing, regardless of who stars as Wallander. Though I am reviewing the DVD, I would like to give the Wallander books a wrap. Having read many of them both in Swedish and English, Laurie Thompson's translation to English is excellent and honours the originals.
Henriksson's Wallander is excellent. The feel is of a relatively 'together' Wallander in comparison to Brannagh and Lassgard's portrayals of a more desperate and disturbed policeman. Nevertheless, many of Wallander's weaknesses, known to those having watched Brannagh's Wallander, are parts of the films. Wallander's relationship to his daughter Linda is central to this version and I really enjoyed watching it develop through the films. Johanna Sallstrom is great as Linda and it is a shame that she died a far too early death at 32. Some of the stories bring Nordic Noir to Nordic Pitch Black but it did not stop me from wanting to watch the next one. Remarkably, the quality of the stories are excellent throughout, which makes this a great buy. This is of course not for those who get irritated by subtitles, which, most of the time, are good and sensible. I am looking forward to watching the next collection of films.

The Secret Paradise Collection with Trevor McDonald [DVD]
The Secret Paradise Collection with Trevor McDonald [DVD]
Dvd ~ Trevor McDonald
Price: 10.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the scenary, 1 Mar 2012
The positive is the choice of destinations and the scenery. I cannot say that I am keen on Sir Trevor's lean towards famous or rich people. Visits to Sir Richard Branson, aristocrats and self made entrepreneurs living in the Caribbean made the programmes a bit like a celebrity video magazine. Some of Sir Trevor's interview questions felt inappropriate and made me sit up and wonder what he was doing. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the destinations, particular the ones in the West Indies, as few have ventured there before to make travel shows. The path around the Mediterranean is somewhat more trodden by travel film makers but the choice of particular destinations, like the movie set in Tunisia, kept me watching.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2014 3:34 PM BST

Michael Palin's Hemingway Adventure [DVD]
Michael Palin's Hemingway Adventure [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Palin
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Palin follows a boyhood hero, 1 Mar 2012
This was the missing link in Michael Palin's travel logs for me. What I enjoyed about this journey was that I experienced Palin as more serious than I have seen him before. Why there are fewer jokes and a serious touch to Palin, I do not know. I suppose some of the matters featured, like bull fighting and game hunting, are serious on many levels. Do not get me wrong, I love his jokes, which he usually places aptly during other journeys. By no means are they all gone but his more serious approach during this trip seemed to work well with the subject matter. Palin is meeting interesting, engaging people along the way and weaves Hemmingway's life pleasantly into the story. It makes for good viewing and will not disappoint anyone enjoying good travel stories.

Endeavour: The Origins of Inspector Morse [DVD]
Endeavour: The Origins of Inspector Morse [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shaun Evans
Price: 4.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Honouring Inspector Morse Fans, 1 Mar 2012
The prequel is doing an excellent job of being engaging and ringing true to what is to come. Having watched all the Inspector Morse episodes, I was slightly apprehensive, as I did not want to find a silly or disconnected prequel. I need not have worried. 'Endeavour' is intelligent in its own right and can be watched by those not familiar with Morse and, for us Morse fans, the endearing traits (his Jaguar and love of beer among others) are set up tastefully and respectfully. A must for Morse fans and an excellent story of detection for everyone else.

Murdoch Mysteries - Series 1 -3 Box Set [DVD]
Murdoch Mysteries - Series 1 -3 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yannick Bisson
Price: 29.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant series, 27 Nov 2011
The whole family, including three off-springs in late teens and early twenties, are enjoying this series tremendously. I think the casting is particularly good with the right balance between the characters. The mix of newly arrived North Americans and second, third generation etc. is very good. There are enough gentle, thoughtful bits to balance the morgue and crime scenes. We are half way through the collection and looking forward to watch the rest.