Profile for ScottyK > Reviews

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day [DVD]
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars funny story. Great acting, 18 Oct 2014
Lovely, funny story. Great acting, wonderful characters, setting, everything.

Twenty Twelve - Series 1 and 2 [DVD]
Twenty Twelve - Series 1 and 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Oct 2014
Hilarious and terrifyingly realistic.

The Secret Countess
The Secret Countess
by Eva Ibbotson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Secret Countess (Paperback)
Blurb sounds like a cheesy romance novel but this is so much more. Young adult and adult fiction. Brilliant story-line, charming, funny characters, laugh out loud moments. I come back to this book whenever I want cheering up. It's so well-written, and pacy and definitely worth a read or three.

Boynton's Greatest Hits: volume I: Boxed Set (Boynton Board Books)
Boynton's Greatest Hits: volume I: Boxed Set (Boynton Board Books)
by Sandra Boynton
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Oct 2014
We LOVE Sandra Boynton's books and music. These are such favourites we've started buying them for friends.

Let's Talk: About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families & Friends (Lets Talk)
Let's Talk: About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families & Friends (Lets Talk)
by Robie H. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book you can dip in and out of to ..., 18 Oct 2014
Really good book you can dip in and out of to explain sex etc to children (4-7 yr olds I'd say). It's got some useful open-minded pages on the different types of family (single parents, single sex, mixed race etc) and ways of making babies.

Bigjigs Toys BJ285 Cord Rocking Horse
Bigjigs Toys BJ285 Cord Rocking Horse
Offered by Bigjigs Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems quite sturdy, but a little disappointed that some of the ..., 18 Oct 2014
Seems quite sturdy, but a little disappointed that some of the stitching seems to be coming undone after just a few weeks of little use (child too small still), and the ear handles aren't fully embedded in the head.

Requiem & Magnificat
Requiem & Magnificat

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: Requiem & Magnificat (Audio CD)
Beautiful, beautiful music.

What Makes a Baby
What Makes a Baby
by Cory Silverberg

4.0 out of 5 stars Very open book. I was kind of hoping for ..., 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: What Makes a Baby (Hardcover)
Very open book. I was kind of hoping for more detailed explanations but that's clearly not the purpose of the book - instead it makes room for explanations of non-traditional couples, and methods of making a baby.

Bedtime Stories
Bedtime Stories

3.0 out of 5 stars Very variable quality-wise, 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: Bedtime Stories (Kindle Edition)
It's hard to give this an overall rating as the writing quality is so variable, so I will give reviews on each short story:

"Whiskey Wishes" by Anna Martin *
This is so so boring and I don't think the author's even heard of 'show not tell'. The introductory part is so long and expository and the characters were very forgettable and the naive style grated. Read like a creative writing exercise written by someone who is quite good at English.

"Flickers" by Tia Fielding **
Odd ghost story. No chemistry between the main couple and the sudden hook up felt out of place and contrived. The concept was good though.

"Click your heels three times" by Blaine D. Arden *
Very weird. Couldn't finish it because it was just too odd and didn't appeal to my tastes.

"Frangipani Kisses" by Liam Livings *
Possibly one of the most boring short stories I've ever read. I ended up wondering if the author was an accountant because it was a very dry discussion on charity shops, accountancy and cake making, and a rather unsexy couple, unless I'm missing some massive metaphor here. Couldn't read more than about 75% of it.

"Charmed" by MG O'Shea **
Found it hard to get into the atmosphere of this one.

"Torch" by Kit Mullender *****
A stand-out, head and shoulders above the others, story. Takes a few lines to get into the present tense writing, but once you're in you're hooked. Two well-drawn, intriguing characters and an interesting supporting character in a very atmospheric setting. This story has pace, thrill, the writing is so efficient - nothing over-drawn. I was reading and holding my breath to see what happened next. Romantic, steaming build up and anticipation. Only complaint is I'd have liked it to be longer and I'd love to have read more about Elias's back story, especially.

"Miles to go" by B Snow *** and a half
I enjoyed this one - good writing, some good characterisation and a nice plot. Liked the interfering ex (and did she actually set up the babysitter?), and the slow realisation. The student's character was really well-written and intriguing, and the conversations between the husband and student were well-written with good chemistry. I felt the husband did grow, and in a realistic way, but the story could have shown more of his character.

The Going to Bed Book
The Going to Bed Book
by Sandra Boynton
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Going to Bed Book (Board book)
The book is brilliant as part of a night time routine and parents don't get tired of reading it - I know it so well I've 'read' it over the phone from all over the world to my child. My 9 month old loves it and it's still a favourite of my 5 year old even though they've long been on more advanced books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3