Profile for Whalebone > Reviews

Content by Whalebone

Whalebone

Doomsday Book (S.F. Masterworks)
Doomsday Book (S.F. Masterworks)
Price: 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious beyond belief, 27 May 2014
I wanted to like this book I really did, it just feels so much like and aga saga with a 14th century romantic fiction sub plot. I have to confess that I only got half way though it, well before the 14th cent types started dropping of the lurgi, but before then our heroine spends many tedious pages in bed being sick and doing nothing. Do we really need a blow-by-blow account of this? No we really don't. And at the end of this sequence; the big reveal; the lady of the house fancies the lords' top flunky. Sigh. Anyway the present day bits are equally tedious. As an Oxford resident I can testify that academics can be rather self obsessed and petty, yes its true. They are also very easy targets, so easy in fact that the reality is often much funnier than the fiction. Sorry Ms Willis, must try harder.

Did I say present day, sorry, its supposed to be 2050 or something, dunno, who cares? It reads like the present day without the internet or mobile phones but with a curiously dated outlook. Another reviewer places its chronometer at about 1985, but It feels like it was written a bit earlier but by a rather fuddy country cousin. In a time when religious observance was still important and nobody swears. For pity sake they have time travel! Someone will have gone back and taken a selfie with Jesus, but there is no investigation of what this would do to the holy sacraments in particular or organized religion in general. SF for me is all about what technology does to our sense of self and what it is to be human, this is not that. A smug, safe, aga saga with a 14 century sub plot, if you will excuse me I am not going to expunge this from my kindle for ever.

Sharpe's Prey: The Expedition to Copenhagen, 1807 (The Sharpe Series, Book 5)
Sharpe's Prey: The Expedition to Copenhagen, 1807 (The Sharpe Series, Book 5)
by Bernard Cornwell
Price: 5.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharpe, Richard Sharpe 007, 23 Dec 2013
Not a bad book I suppose. It must have been difficult to know where to go with our boy Sharpe after so many adventures. Cornwell has gone straight down the "Richard Sharpe; secret agent," route. Its complete with impossible escapes, unreliable allies, mustache twirling baddies and, of course, witty badinage whilst dueling. I found the tropes a bit obvious, but it was a fun read and keeping it fresh after 20 books must be really hard.

Tau Zero (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Tau Zero (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Poul Anderson
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all high school physics students, 3 Aug 2013
I read this book a couple of years after sitting my A level physics exam. I wish I had discovered it sooner. One of the problems with Relativity Theory is that it's so counter intuitive, ditto modern cosmology and concepts like "deep time." This book makes its protagonists experience this stuff in real time and makes it significant in their lives. All kinds of half understood concepts suddenly clicked into place for me, truly magical, I loved every minute of it. If only Mr Anderson had been my physics teacher (sigh,) maybe I would have a got a respectable grade.

Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusally Hardcore Dharma Book
Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusally Hardcore Dharma Book
by Daniel M. Ingram
Price: 21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem of a read, 2 Sep 2011
If you only ever read one book about Buddhism this has to be it. This book changed my practice and therefore my life irrevocably, if you have any interest in meditation or Buddhism you have to read this book.