Profile for joppie > Reviews

The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files novel
The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files novel
by Charles Stross

4.0 out of 5 stars CASE GOOD READ, 24 July 2014
I've been waiting yonks for this book to be published and read it in two nights. But as some reviewers have said it was the weakest of all the laundry files. Far too much stuff in parenthesise which I started to find annoying but to the actual story line. Darker I thought with not so much laughs. Whether the author meant it you could see which way one of the story lines was going after the first few chapters. Is he building up for the finale CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN. Lets hope not and there will be a few more Bob Howard adventures to come. It would like be losing an old friend!

The Fuller Memorandum: Book 3 in The Laundry Files
The Fuller Memorandum: Book 3 in The Laundry Files
by Charles Stross

4.0 out of 5 stars Len Deighton's Bernard Samson, 14 Mar. 2011
Great book. Great page turner. Quite witty. Quite dark.

But

I couldn't help but visualise in my mind that the character was Bernard Samson. Samson is a middle-aged and somewhat jaded intelligence officer working for the Secret Intelligence Service

Bob Howard is a middle-aged and somewhat jaded intelligence officer working for the Her Majesties Secret Intelligence Service.

Hmmm, very simiar but as I said a thoroughly good read especially if you haven't read Len Deighton books.....

Terminal World
Terminal World
by Alastair Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Terminal World (Hardcover)
I read this a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact I wasn't wanting the book to finish as I was right into the characters. I like a book where the reader is trying to make up in their own mind where the book is going or trying to figure out what certain paragraphs allude to. Terminal World has this in spadefuls! I found this offering wasn't like any of Alastair Reynolds previous books and this I found refereshing.

The Night Sessions: A Novel
The Night Sessions: A Novel
by Ken MacLeod

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's Rebus ?, 14 Mar. 2011
I'm sorry but when I read this book I couldn't get Inspector Rebus from my mind. It was set in the near distant future after the faith wars and grandson of Rebus was trying to solve the alledged murder of a priest. The pub bit was classic Rebus.

If you haven't read any of Ian Rankins book you will probably be able to read this with cross-contamination from another autor.