Profile for Tony Hobbs > Reviews

Content by Tony Hobbs

Tony Hobbs (Bristol, S Glos United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Last Englishman: A Thru-Hiking Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail
The Last Englishman: A Thru-Hiking Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book. It's written with consideration and care and ..., 23 May 2016
What a great book. It's written with consideration and care and will inspire anyone to get out and hike and camp.

Grizzly Bears and Razor Clams
Grizzly Bears and Razor Clams

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, and what a title, wonderful!, 6 July 2012
I received this book last week and started to read it straight away, it is without doubt Chris's best book ever on a long walk and his others are none too shabby and 5 star'ers! If I could give 6 stars here I would.

The book is about the Pacific Northwest Trail spread over 7 chapters, plus an Aftermath (a page looking back on the walk and how it impacted Chris), and Appendices of the food and equipment used / eaten. Not necessarily in that order! 186 pages.

My opinion is that Chris had more freedom with this book or chose to be more open as I enjoyed reading more of his thoughts, opinions and feelings of the walk which had highs, many of them, but also, it seemed, a few lows. The route is very tough as it is so new and there was a bit of boring road walking, tough bush whacking and walking through felled forests and rain, but that is all part of the greater experience of being out there and the challenge which Chris obviously relishes. I thought that we were allowed into Chris's mind in this book and it was a quite wonderful experience. Chris of course describes the route as he goes and supplies basic maps at the start of each chapter. I enjoyed reading a small section of how he sets up camp and organises it. His thoughts on Best Western vs local motels / hotels...

The layout is superb with wonderful photographs of himself, his camps, but mostly and most importantly, the beautiful landscape that Chris walk through during the walk interlaced throughout the book. Lastly on the images of the self portraits that Chris took, you can see a beam, a love of the outdoors!

It is hard to fault the book, so I won't even bother trying. It was wonderful.

Simply the best!

The Backpacker's Handbook, 4th Edition
The Backpacker's Handbook, 4th Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedic, 26 Feb. 2012
Over the last few months I've been reading through the latest edition of the Backpacker's Handbook and its a great addition to any outdoorsman's or women's library. Its updated from the last edition with new information and photographs. A few photos and words are carried forward.

The only minor downside is that only ounces and pounds are given. No grams and kilos. But that's very minor and doesn't detract from the knowledge enclosed. And Chris probably has more knowledge on this subject than most. I'm pretty sure he has pitched more shelters than most of us have had hot dinners!

Its an excellent resource of information. If you want detail on lights or choosing a shelter or boot fitting its all there, navigation and spending a night out camping. Info on back-country walking and safety. The new revelation of lightweight walking is also covered, as is cuben fibre.

468 pages are divided into 9 chapters and illustrated throughout with the authors photographs.

Preparing for the Trail.
The Load on your Back.
Footwear and Wilderness Travel.
Carrying the Load.
Keeping Warm and Dry.
Shelter.
The Wilderness Kitchen.
Comfort and Safety in Camp and on the Trail.
On the Move.

The index at the rear is very thorough.

If you are looking for an encyclopedia on backpacking, hiking, camping I think you will be very happy to start here.

A worthy update.

A Year in the Life of the Cairngorms
A Year in the Life of the Cairngorms

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful edition to a growing library, 23 July 2011
This is Chris' first photo book and its a wonderful addition to his range of walking books.
You won't find info on walking or route planning or what sandals to wear.
But you will find 112 pages of wonderful imagery taken as most of would like to see the mountains but all too often leave missing the best light or simply not being there at all. But this book helps address that. Chris does not use big massive expensive pro spec cameras and lenses, but the gear he does use, he uses superbly. I am sure he puts many of us to shame.
Each page as no more than two photos on it, many pages have one big photo and there are several double page spreads of photos.
The book is neatly divided up into four sections, introduced by an introduction. After that, there are chapters on Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.
Every photo has its own caption, so it might inspire people to go out and see the same view as in the image.
There are no cameras / lenses listed nor any exposures etc. But that is a minor point.
Buy this book for the wonderful images.
Inspiring.

Satmap Active 10 Plus with GB Outdoor GPS Map (discontinued by manufacturer)
Satmap Active 10 Plus with GB Outdoor GPS Map (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bit of kit, 5 Jun. 2011
Bugger, I paid a bit more for this product than Amazon are charging, never mind. That is FAR outweighed by the greatness of this kit.
The screen is superb, easily readable even in sun, even on low brightness setting. Based on one sunny outing.
When I first opened the parcel and looked at the SatMap I was a bit over whelmed by it, thinking that this looks complicated. I read the online instructions, the inc. instructions next to worthless, but reading the online instructions and going thru the settings and options then proved fairly easy and intuitive. But I do recommend reading them, even if to get the gist.

You can use it for planning and also following a trail. you can convert your trail into a track after as well. You can download SatSync from the SatMap website, that is easy to use, even I managed that, uploading and downloading routes I made. If you can, use the Mapping component on the SatMap website that was good as well.
It is weather proof, so much hardier than a phone GPS and the LiPol battery will far outlast a phone battery.
The support from SatMap is also first rate and maps can be purchased after the fact as well.
I highly recommend this product.

Aquaventure Water Purification
Aquaventure Water Purification

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Aqua Mira but Aqua Venture by McNett, 28 May 2011
The picture needs updating as this is not Aqua Mira labeled.
However, the product is the same and by McNett, they are the manufacturer or supplier and the contents are the same.
So it is "Aqua Mira", but in a different wrapper.
I have not used "this" item yet.
But I have used "Aqua Mira", and that is brilliant and I highly recommend this product, whatever its name is showing, it is the same thing.
It is easy to prepare, but you do have to prepare it, add drops from each little pot into the little supplied top, leave for 5 mins, then add to 1L of water.
There is no bad after taste.
Sorry if this all sounds confusing.
It is worth getting, better than chlorine tabs et al.

Canon 703 - LBP2900 LBP3000 LBP 2900 LBP 3000 laser toner cartridge - 1 x black - 2000 pages

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 May 2011
This lasts a long time, the print is good quality and is original Canon product.
They supply a pre paid label to return old cartridge for recycling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2011 11:55 PM GMT

New Mens/Gents Brown Suede Leather Moccasin Slippers - Brown - UK SIZES 6-12
New Mens/Gents Brown Suede Leather Moccasin Slippers - Brown - UK SIZES 6-12
Offered by Wynsors World of Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 28 May 2011
Good value and comfortable.
Seem well made and the grip on sole is good, don't slip on carpets.
I can recommend.

SONY ERICSSON XPERIA ARC BLACK NEOPRENE CARRY CASE / POUCH / POCKET BY CELLAPOD CASES

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little case, 14 April 2011
Right third time lucky.
I tried the gel case that has no front, still use that, it has grown on me, see my review.
I am returning the Terrapin.
This neoprene case is good, it is not a SE product, but, it fully covers the phone, is Velcro-ed shut, so virtually zero chance of phone getting out, is soft and protective, just don't sit on it! I presume being neoprene will offer a little protection from the elements, and most importantly, the Arc fits perfectly.
Unless someone finds a better case for the Arc, this is the one.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2011 12:50 PM BST

SONY ERICSSON XPERIA ARC-X12 GENUINE LEATHER TERRAPIN POCKET CASE - BLACK OUTER / BLUE MICROFIBRE LINING

3.0 out of 5 stars The Arc just fits..., 12 April 2011
I say the Arc just fits (length), as that is about right. I have the Arc in the Gel Case, see other review. I guess that makes the Arc a "fraction" longer. So for me, the case could do with being a fraction longer... One could argue that the case is a fraction too wide! Was it specifically made for this phone... Gel case or no, the top of the phone is exposed, as in the bit where the power button is. There is only as little magnetic flap to hold the phone in place. I presume that the magnetic flap holder in placer will not damage the phone, as magnetism can cause problems, can't it, I must be barking up the wrong tree. Well, barking anyway.

But as the other reviewer stated quite correctly, it is well made, the pull tab works well and the lining is soft and gentle to the touch.

I have given 4 stars as I am torn, it is well made, but was it made specifically for the Arc.... I would have liked something made by SE specifically for the phone where it is fully covered. But this will more than do the job.

Oh, whilst I am moaning about it, lol, there is no belt attachment either, not that I ever used it, just thought worth mentioning. I would give it 4.5 stars if that were possible.

Edit, I have reduced this to 3 stars. I have heard that the magnet can leave a circle mark on the screen. I have heard that the magnet is not strong enough to cause electrical damage.
So I am torn by this product...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5