Profile for The Pez > Reviews

Strangeitude
Strangeitude
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this now, you will not regret it, 28 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Strangeitude (Audio CD)
Let's start by saying this album is excellent, does not put a foot wrong. I could end the review the top be honest but if you are reading this to get into Ozric Tentacles you may need s bit more information. If you are a lover of prog rock you need to be into OT, it is prog on the more Steve Hillage side (indeed he and Miquette have worked with them in the past) and is characterised by grooving/looping bass rhythms that just power each tune along. Highlights of this album are the opener "White Rhino Tea ", the excellent "Sploosh", "Saucers" and 'Space Between Your Ears ". If you buy the deluxe two disc edition you also get a bonus live disc,although disc one also contains two of the aforementioned love tracks unlisted at the end of the studio tracks which is weird, but then this is the Tentacles so don't expect straight forward. It is an album I could play all day every day and never tire of, so if you want to get into OT this is a brilliant place to start.

Civil War: Ms. Marvel
Civil War: Ms. Marvel
by Brian Reed

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 28 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Civil War: Ms. Marvel (Paperback)
This does got in to the whole Civil War theme, well, the first three chapters anyway, but I felt it could have been explored more. Ms.Marvel and Wonder Man are given the task of finding a new teen age superhero and then also bringing in a rebel. They find the first by accident she wants to accompany them on the second mission and the story then revolves around her weighing up whether registration is good or bad. This is powerful stuff but I feel it could have done with a better writer (J.Michael Straczynski for instance) who could have explored it further and top greater depth, however it is s good story. The last two stories however have nothing to do with the Civil War sorry line at all and seem to be page fillers to be honest. I do not see how these were needed, Ms.Marvel appears prominently in other volumes, particularly having a spectacular battle with Falcon and I would have liked to have seen more around this and exploring Ms.Marvel's own thoughts on registration. Ultimately it does fit into the whole Civil War lore and is worth a read.

Civil War: Front Line Book 2 TPB (Graphic Novel Pb)
Civil War: Front Line Book 2 TPB (Graphic Novel Pb)
by Paul Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading, 28 July 2015
Within the Civil War lore this is essential reading , it gives angles and insights not found in any other book, and links nicely Iron Man, Wolverine and Black Panther. It contains a number of stories from the perspective of the press as they follow the story of the Civil War, but what you also get is the reaction of Speedball to the Stamford incident and hope that shapes his life (rather dramatically), the reaction of the Atlanteans to the death of Namorita but most interesting of all is the delving by Ben Urich into the comings and goings of Tony Stark and the revelation he finds as to the reason for the whole War in the first place.

I do feel that throughout the whole story line in all the linked titles that Iron Man comes out very well whereas Captain America does not which disappoints me a little, I had more respect for his character, I remember the Nomad saga where he became disillusioned with his country and this does not seem like the same man.

At a time when Americans seem to be saying that they are OK with the right to bear arms even if schoolchildren and church goers may get massacred as a result, this comic book story line is very relevant and contains the most intelligent writing ever.

Marvel Mens Marvel Comics T-shirt Size Medium
Marvel Mens Marvel Comics T-shirt Size Medium
Offered by Character UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 21 July 2015
I like this shirt for the reason it has some minor characters on like ghost rider and Luke Cage, different from your average Marvel shirt with the usual suspects on. It is of good quality and arrived very quickly and at under £10 is excellent value for money

X-Men Character Line Up Mug
X-Men Character Line Up Mug
Offered by KitschaGoGo Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars more than just x-men, 1 April 2015
Hoe do you rate a mug? It holds tea fine. The only thing I would say is that it is NOT an X-men line up mug, it is A Marvel universe character mug, you will spot Captain America sat at the front and "B" list heroes such as Iron Fist and Moon Knight so the labelling is wrong. Saying that the artwork is brilliant and as a marvel universe mug it is better for me than just an X-men mug.

Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Aaron Taylor-Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars please can we have a GOOD Godzilla remake, 11 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Godzilla [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Seriously, how hard can it be to make a Godzilla movie? The full title for this movie should be "The effect of Godzilla on the general populace and a few characters you may or may not care about ", not very catchy I know but sums up the movie, for I would expect a movie about Godzilla to actually star Godzilla, however he is relogated to being a bit part in his own movie whilst characters you couldn't care less about dominate the screen time.

Like other reviewers, I love Gareth Edwards film "Monsters", however that film was it's own story, the fact the monsters are background is a good feature and the two main characters are interesting and 3D, the format works, however Godzilla is a different matter, here we are dealing with an existing franchise, as an audience we have expectations and the main is "I want to see Godzilla". Instead we see a hint of a battle on a TV screen in the background or the start of some action as a door closes or when we get to the main event it is that dark you can not make anything out.

The action is disjointed and hard to follow, if you take your eyes of the screen for a minute you suddenly are asking "where did that child come from? ", or "how did that character get there? " and probably "why am I still watching this? ". There seem to be a couple of scenes put in for no other reason that to get you on the edge of your seat as children need to be rescued and in these days of the displaced person and refugee I can see where Mr Edwards was coming from on these scenes, unfortunately not enough time is spent building the characters, they are wooden and 2D so you do not empathise with them at all they are all to a man totally forgettable (and that is a real shame when you have talent like Ken Watanabe and Juliet Brioche) and to be honest there is not enough tension put into any of these scenes to warrant any sort of seat moving or breath holding.

So disjointed is it that I actually lost what was happening about three times, but it seems the army want to nuke monsters that feed and grow on radiation. Now, either I'm being very stupid or they are.

I know the original 1954 film is very enigmatic in its reveal of Godzilla but that was his introduction to the world and so it should be, we have moved on from that now. The main resonances I'm getting from this film is Cloverfield, a film i truly hate, Super 8 and War
of the Worlds (there is even a train on fire), it is easy to say that another mass destruction movie was not called for, but why the hell not? At the end of this i felt nothing for any character and nothing for the main character who had been sidelined all movie. Imagine Avengers Assemble without the fight for New York or Man of Steel without the battle in Metropolis, that is what you have here, and comparisons to Pacific Rim are not applicable, that movie too was junk because of 2D stereotypical characters, whereas the two aforementioned films are good because the writing was good and characters were built that we could relate to.

At the end of this film i was longing for a man in a rubber monster suit stomping on a cardboard Tokyo, I would have enjoyed that more. I give it two stars because it is better than that dreadful 1998 thing but would advise people not to waste their money on it, watch it on Sky first and then make your own mind up.

Civil War: Iron Man (Civil War)
Civil War: Iron Man (Civil War)
by Brian Michael Bendis

4.0 out of 5 stars deep and thoughtful, 9 Mar. 2015
I have been away from Marvel comics for quite a few years, the rash of excellent movies had made me want to get back into the fold. I started with The Age of Ultron and am now starting to work through Civil War. After the Civil War series, Iron Man is the first character series I've started with.

The artwork is superb, the dialogue thought provoking however I found the stories a little disjointed, hence the for stars instead of five.

Three stories, firstly Rubicon, Iron Man and Captain America having a chat on the ruins of the Avengers mansion. Put like that it doesn't sound interesting however the insight into Tony Stark and Steve Rogers (and in particular the former) fits in very well with the Civil War stories. It is placed after Goliath's death, Stark making a list ditch attempt to stop the war. Much reminiscing and confessions of alcoholism and reflecting on the fact that under villainous control he wiped out an airplane full of civilians, and there for the grace of God it could have been him not Speedball as public enemy number one. He and Cap have fisticuffs and they walk away still on different sides of the fence. I enjoyed this story, you do not see this kind of 30 characters much, it was refreshing.

The second story seems to have no title other than Civil War and is a bit confusing. Stark is doing a TV soundbite for pro registration while at the same time controlling a suit of armour to help She Hulk and Co bring down a Dreadnought, heaven knows why they couldn't do this by themselves without the aid of a distracted Iron Man i can't workout. Also the head of the Islamic Peace Coalition is employing the Spymaster to hunt someone down and he corners Happy Hogan, they fight, Hogan left comatose. A Senator offers Stark directorship of SHIELD, he declines. Sue Richards confronts Stark, Stark switches off Happy's life support. Confused yet? The good thing about this story (stories) is the narrative about Stark doubting himself and his decision and the pathos of having to end his friends life, apart from that, I don't get it.

Story three, Confession which is split in two, firstly, Stark now director of SHIELD gives a lengthy monologue about why he had to support registration and his regrets about doing it, the monologue delivered to what appears to be a dead Captain America, this is powerful comic book stuff, genuinely moving and we'll written. The second half is an alive Captain America spitting vitriol at Iron Man who gives a flippant answer worthy of Spider -Man, not so good.

Ultimately this is a book about friendship and loyalty, decision and doubt and does add to the Civil War story line. For me Marvel always pushed the boundaries, first teenage superhero not a side kick, first black superhero, first group of teenage superheros etc, the Civil War story line is also breaking new ground and within the dialogue shows how the world of the superhero had changed since the 60's, the Iron Man section is definitely part of this.

Black Moon
Black Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars ELP return to form, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Black Moon (Audio CD)
This was an album I had never lstienned too, I think I became a little jaded after Love Beach, an album I just can not bring myself to listen to, I can not get past that godawful cover and and godawful title, so I sort of lost interest, which is a pity, because now I have listenned to Black Moon I wish I had earlier.

Gone are the long pieces of many movements, no Tarkus or Karn Evil 9 here which is why one star is lost, however there are some cracking songs on here that I can not stop playing, including the title track, "Paper Blood" with it's brilliant and insistent bass line, the poigniant "Farewell to Arms and the beautiful "Affairs of the Heart" which Greg Lake wrote with ex Yes man Geoff Downes.

There is some seriousley good music on this album, three prog rockers maturing well and after a hiatus coming back with serious attitude.

Any ELP fan who has not heard this music (like me) do it now, you will not regret it, and if you are some young pup wanting to get into classic prog, you could do far worse than start here.

Deep Purple Burn Men's T-Shirt Black Medium
Deep Purple Burn Men's T-Shirt Black Medium
Offered by Eyesore Merch

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality shirt for a quality band, 23 Nov. 2013
What can you say about a t-shirt? It is well printed, fits well and feels good quality, I like it, nuff said

Mandylion
Mandylion
Offered by Rock&PopCDVD

4.0 out of 5 stars The most haunting metal album you will ever listen to, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Mandylion (Audio CD)
I am a bit slow in discovering thisa music, about ten years too slow to be precise. In the search for something different I discovered Finnish band, Nightwish, the strong operatic female vocals and metal chords blew me away. Discovering they were influenced by contemporaries like Dutch group The gathering made me want to discover more. I listenned to "Leaves" on You Tube, loved it and bought this, their classic third album and have not regeretted it. I would put it in the catagory of prog metal, the songs are long and there are instrumentals (the title song), maybe sometimes too long (hence the drop of a star), plenty of tempo changes, subtle moments as well as hard metal chords, but Anneke van Giersbegen's vocals just have to be listenned to to be believed, they are charged with emotion and she can wring every ounce of feeling out of the lyrics, this alone makes this album have a strange haunting, ethereal quality that has you returning to it over and over again.

In search of something a little different? Give this a try, I recommend it to you

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5