Profile for S. R. Williams > Reviews

High Plains Drifter [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
High Plains Drifter [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic comes to HD, 16 Sep 2013
I have always had a weak spot for westerns and love the westerns of Clint Eastwood and as such this has always been a favourite of mine, the sub text of the supernatural setting (is he the ghost of the slain marshal or his brother) would be worked into his later work (Pale Rider)to better effect.
I am watching this while typing and I can honestly say I am very very impressed, you can see this has been remastered and not just upscaled ala Two Mules or Joe Kidd (both of which are a vast improvement over their DVD counterparts) the picture is as sharp as you would expect, the colour vibrant, the scenes set at night stand out and are pin sharp (a problem with DVDs and some Blu Rays) the sound has been remastered into 5.1, which does sound clearer than before but doesn't make any real use of the back speakers so do not buy this expecting your cinema surround system to get a work out as it will not.
what you are buying this for is the vastly improved picture quality and this delivers on all counts.
For a product being labelled as a 40th anniversary edition you will be a little disappointed with the extras, or rather the lack there off. This edition has a solitary trailer. I would like more Clint Eastwood movies to come with some outstanding extras or even a retrospective documentary or two but to be honest they have always been a little lacking in that department but as I want my movies on the best ever format with the best possible picture and sound I am more than happy with this release. I am not going to review this movie what is the point High Plains Drifter has been out there for 40 years so you would have seen it in one format or the other.
The only real question being is this worth getting again and I have to give a resounding yes put your hand in your pocket replace your old DVD or VHS you will not be disappointed, enjoy I am.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2014 6:35 PM BST

Doctor Who - Time and the Rani [DVD] [1987]
Doctor Who - Time and the Rani [DVD] [1987]
Dvd ~ Sylvester McCoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of starts but things do improve., 3 Aug 2013
After watching the extras I do feel sorry for Sylvester McCoy, you can see the dark doctor of series three during his audition, why oh why did they insist on his prat falls, etc, you can see the actor wasn't comfortable with this, the making of is excellent and worth the 3 stars alone, a series unloved by the BBC and not a lot of time to prepare decent scripts for the upcoming season, its a miracle it got two more, not sylvesters fault at all.
As an avid Dr Who fan I have this and it will get played more than once, but along with the Twin Dilema this has to be one of the weakest regeneration stories. Not sure why JNT got these stories so wrong, I have always liked Bonnie as a personnality and always felt she got unjustified bad press but she was so wrong for Dr Who, so in a nut shell, not the best starts but Sylvester was allowed to mature from the clown to the dark manipulator of his third and to a certain extent his second season.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 10:50 AM BST

UNION JACK & PHILIPPINES FRIENDSHIP FLAGS ENAMEL LAPEL PIN BADGE
UNION JACK & PHILIPPINES FRIENDSHIP FLAGS ENAMEL LAPEL PIN BADGE

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 28 May 2013
I love this product, the reproduction is excellent, not too big or too small, just right for a suit lapel or jacket lapel.

To Catch A Thief [Blu-ray] [1955] [Region Free]
To Catch A Thief [Blu-ray] [1955] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Cary Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitchcock classic and UK edition does have all the extras listed, 26 Sep 2012
I have just received this blu ray and felt compelled to write a quick review, not of the movie this has already been covered but of the blu ray product itself....I am not sure where some of the reviewers on here get their information but I can confirm that the UK edition has all 11 of the extras listed by Amazon.

I nearly cancelled this to buy the US version as I wanted the extras, I am so glad I did not.

Believe me you do not need to purchase the US version as this has it all.

The picture quality is as excellent as expected, if you love this movie do yourself a favour and buy this you will not be dissapointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2012 7:11 AM GMT

Mercenaries [DVD]
Mercenaries [DVD]
Dvd ~ Geoff Bell
Offered by simply-well-priced

1.0 out of 5 stars how can a movie be this bad??, 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Mercenaries [DVD] (DVD)
I have just finished watching this mess, the movie really was amateur hour, I thought I would look at the making of to see the problems they had making the money stretch, getting the writers vision on screen etc....but with all the back slapping I did wonder if they had actually watched the end product. The fact one of the producers banged on about being an ex-soldier made me wonder why the field craft was so wrong....but did confirm why he was no longer in the ARMY.
I am really glad I didn't watch this with my ARMY colleagues as I would have been so embarrassed.
As an ex-sailor I hate movies that get the navy wrong and I can only imagine the comments real soldiers would have thrown at the TV watching this.
You do not watch these kind of movies expecting 100% realism as that can take the fun out of action movies but some form of logic would help...these so called mercenaries wouldn't have lasted five minutes behind enemy lines, I really do want the British film industry to flourish but on this show no one out there will be having sleepless nights about the British film industry making a belated come back, and if I never see another movie by this writer/director it will be far too soon, my best advice avoid like the plague and watch the wild geese or an episode of the Professionals again.

Cleopatra [Blu-ray] [1963] [Region Free]
Cleopatra [Blu-ray] [1963] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch Blu Ray Transfer, 29 Jan 2012
just about managed to watch all the extra features last night... a couple of new ones added to those on offer from the previous release (all present and correct).

Well what can you say about this transfer.... to be honest it is jaw droppingly beautiful, who cannot fall in love with Miss Taylor in beautiful HD....like Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, Quo Vadis this release shows how Blu Ray transfers should be handled.

the picture is sharp, detailed, the colours are vibrant and bright, the sound is spectacular and I couldn't be happier with the transfer.

So much has been written about this movie, no it isn't the classic that Ben Hur is but it is not a disaster either, this release should redeam this movie, the HD transfer is so strong that it does give Cleopatra a new lease of life, for a movie this old it looks as if it was made only yesterday, Cleopatra arriving in Rome is amazing and a spectacle to see all over again.

I would recomend anyone who loves this movie to upgrade believe me you will not be disappointed, I wish all movies could have such a strong transfer.

Highlander - Endgame [Blu-ray]
Highlander - Endgame [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Adrian Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag... good movie .... so so HD picture, 29 Jan 2012
I watched this at over the weekend, I have always rated this as the best of the sequels, they didn't try to explain why the immortals came about just get on with the story giving both leads their fair share of the action, I always liked the TV series so was excited when this came out.

I will not review this movie as such as it has been out there for many years... although I wish they had stuck with this as the final movie and not destroy the franchise with the last one.... a very expensive coaster at the moment.

I was very eager to see this movie in HD as I have the first two, plus an added 12 minutes who could ask for more............well a decent HD transfer would have helped, to be fair it isn't all terrible some scenes show the strengths of the format, strong colours, vivid picture lovely sharp detail... then you get a picture so grainy that all detail is lost and reminds you of the old days of pirated Videos, other times the colours are murky and detail lost and also some scenes have motion blur.. all of this can be a little off putting....plus next to no extra features....deleted scenes and historical FX feature are all that is on offer.

To be honest if I had known that the picture was such a mixed bag I would not have purchased this and would have kept with the region one DVD I have had for years and more than happy with.

My advice is rent this first, if you are happy with the picture wait for the price to drop before purchasing; I am disappointed as I was really looking forward to adding this to my Blu Ray collection.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level (Blu-ray) [2012] [Region Free]
Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level (Blu-ray) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW...bodes well for the whole series being released., 28 Jan 2012
I have just finished watching the these sampler episodes. Anyone who will want this will know the episodes already so I will not review the episodes but you will probably want to know will it be worthwhile upgrading to Blu Ray, on the strength of these episodes the answer is YES.

The picture and sound is outstanding, the picture quality not only being sharp but the colours are bright and vibrant, after watching the Pilot again I cannot believe this is the same episode I have seen on VHS and DVD in the past, the murky picture and muddy colours of season 1&2 are gone.

The FX looks amazing check the online video to see the differences it really is that strong, the enterprise D has never looked so beautiful the detail in that model took my breath away.

for only a few quid I am glad I took a chance and dipped in and purchased this, to be honest I would have been happier if they had used Q-Who, Best of Both Worlds, Yesterday's Enterprise as part of the sampler disc but I am not going to quibble about that as this disc does bode well for the release of all 7 seasons...........by all accounts season one is on its way in the Summer.

Sit back and enjoy.. you will not be dissapointed.

James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962]
James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and CR appears to be uncut!, 11 Jan 2012
this has my review dated for my original review believe me I have now purchased this product and have it in my grubby little mit.

I received this today 24/09/2012 so I have been flicking through the films that have not previously been on Blu Ray, I have to say I am more than pleased with this boxset, I quite like the packaging....ok so there isn't an accompanying book with details of the extras which is a shame.

The picture is sharp and the colours vibrant in fact this is the best I have seen these movies look.

I checked out the usual suspects to see if they were edited fortunately LTK, GE, TND are all uncut but my biggest surprise was Casino Royale.....the torture scene appears to be uncut, I checked it with the previous release and it definately is a longer version so I am very very happy with this release, the films extras appear to be exactly as on previous releases so nothing new with the movies, I was a little dissapointed with the extra disk apart from the skyfall blogs all the other docs are pointless compilation clips and a wasted opportunity to be honest.

I can highly recomend this release.....for the price it is a bargain..............there is even a space for skyfall if you want to transfer your BD once purchased.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2014 10:47 AM BST

James Dean [DVD]
James Dean [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Brandon

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Biopic - horrible transfer, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: James Dean [DVD] (DVD)
I have waited for this to either be repeated on TV or released on VHS/DVD since I first saw it in the early 80's.

this is one of the best James Dean dramatizations I have seen, told from the point of view of his roommate, this does not shy away from his being hard to live with, one minute being wonderful and the next losing it big time, but that is what made him such a fantastic actor.

This movie was the one that got me into James Dean in the first place, so as a movie/biopic I cannot recommend this enough....for that alone this product would get 5 stars unfortunately this looks as if it has been copied from a much used off air VHS..........The picture is soft, the colours muted and washed out.... and the sound will not test your set up, as this is the only way to get this movie in the UK that I know off and you can see beyond the picture and sound quality I do recommend this haunting tele-drama.

If anyone can recommend a DVD which is of better quality please let me know I do recommend this movie that highly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2012 6:10 PM GMT