Profile for Andy Ven > Reviews

Content by Andy Ven

Andy Ven (UK)

The New Forest (Foxglove Visitor Guides)
The New Forest (Foxglove Visitor Guides)
by Gerald Ponting

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Guide, 17 Aug 2014
I read this book from cover to cover on the day that I bought it from the office at Lepe Country Park. I found it very interesting, enjoyable, informative and with a fairly comprehensive (but not excessive) level of detail. I bought a few other guides to the New Forest and I thought this was the best of them all - excellent.

Aesop's Fables
Aesop's Fables
by Aesop

3.0 out of 5 stars Pity there aren't more stories, 12 Jun 2008
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Hardcover)
Nice book with attractive illustrations for kids but I was hoping for more than 8 fables. As a child I remembered The Wind and The Sun and also The Boy Who Cried Wolf but these don't feature here.
For info this book includes the following fables: The Cat's Bell; The Lion and the Mouse; The Wolf and the Dog; The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs; The Fox and the Stork; The Tortoise and the Hare; The Frogs that Wanted a King; and, The Jay and the Peacocks

The Land Downunder (includes book and double CD)
The Land Downunder (includes book and double CD)
by Ted Egan

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked the book......, 4 April 2007
Any mention I have seen of Ted "I told Rolf Harris about Two Little Boys" Egan is seemingly invariably accompanied by his claim to fame that he was, in fact, the man who told Rolf Harris about the song Two Little Boys. Now had he helped Robert Plant to write Stairway to Heaven and then told Rolf to sing it I would have been impressed but Rolf has enough talent of his own to get on nicely, thank you very much, even without his 1969 chart topper.

Now I've got that off my chest I must say that Ted Egan does know a thing or two about Australian culture and history. I don't have much time to read decent sized chapters of books without interruption so it was a great bonus that this book was broken down into manageable segments of 2-5 pages at a time. Having intended to sit down and read one short chapter at a time I read three or four, such was his knowledge of a very interesting subject (occasional Pommie bashing aside - yawn!). If you want to read more than just a good travel guide to gain an insight into Australia I would recommend this book without hesitation. (If you enjoy it I would also recommend A Secret Country by John Pilger which was in turn recommended by Bill Bryson in the highly amusing Down Under).

As for the accompanying CD, and Ted Egan's attempt at poetry, I think I would opt for the book only version of this package. He's certainly no better at singing than Rolf Harris - maybe that would explain (have I mentioned it yet?) that he told Sir Rolf to record Two Little Boys. His poetry isn't up to much either.

My advice, good book, thoroughly enjoyed it but don't bother with the CD.

Another book for your wish list if you want to find out more about Western Australia in particular is A Love Affair with Australia by Barbara Marie Brewster (foreword by Rolf Harris, additional complimentary reviewers include Ted "I told Rolf.... ")

Billy Connolly's World Tour Of Australia [DVD]
Billy Connolly's World Tour Of Australia [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy Connolly
Offered by MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM HI-DE-HI

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripper!, 21 Jan 2006
He says at the end of the series that he doesn't do geography programmes. True, but in terms of being a travel programme you can't help but to be taken in by his passion for street entertainers, art work, pie floaters, climbing the giant coat hanger, Ned Kelly, Harold Holt, dampers, aboriginal food and being in the middle of flat Outback in dry, sun scorched conditions. I lived the series with him and felt the onset of post holiday blues when it ended. Inspirational. Oh, and I really enjoyed the snippets of his string playing and stage performances too!

Bush Songs from the Australian Outback: The Aussi
Bush Songs from the Australian Outback: The Aussi

3.0 out of 5 stars All sing along now, 21 Jan 2006
I agree pretty much with the previous assessment. Don't take the music too seriously - it's pretty much in the Rolf Harris category. I like the humour and light heartedness of Aussie BBQ and Home Among the Gumtrees. I also prefer this version of I Still Call Australia Home to that of Peter Allen's (although the Australian Girl's Choir version used in the QANTAS adverts is also very good). Why not branch out and also try some contemporary Aboriginal music such as the Rough Guide CD?

Rough Guide to Australian Aboriginal Music
Rough Guide to Australian Aboriginal Music
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Australian Aboroginal Music, 21 Jan 2006
I was prepared to be open minded in my search for music to enhance the mood on our tour of Australia. I didn't particularly like this CD on first hearing but some of the more contemporary tracks grew on me and are quite catchy. I'm imagining the sun rising in Alice Springs to the almost haunting sound of Celebration, arriving at Uluru to the beat of Tjapukai Sunset or driving the Great Ocean Road to the on-my-way style track Kurongk Boy, Kurongk Girl. Add some Aussie Bush Band, Ralph McTell (Red Sky) and Sir Rolf and you will be on your way to a half decent compilation to reminisce over when you get back.