Profile for chwms > Reviews

chwms "chwms"

Harold the King
Harold the King
by Helen Hollick

5.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner which chronicles the events from 1040 -1066., 27 Feb 2001
This review is from: Harold the King (Hardcover)
1066. We know how it ends. And despite what we know, as we read this book, Harold the King, we hope that somehow, this time, the ending will change and England's date with destiny will be averted. Helen Hollick has produced a book that draws the reader into the lives of each of the major players in this drama. We see Edward I, Harold, Tostig and Duke William as they maneuver around the coveted throne. Their wives and families come alive for us so that we begin to understand what motivates the men who lead other men into battle for the sake of a crown . I liked the portrayal of Edward I as a confused man who should never have been given a crown and Harold, as the symbol of the Anglo-Saxon way of life which was already being blown about by the storms from the east. Duke William was no surprise as the man consumed with lust for power and Tostig flirting on the sidelines paves the way for William's conquest.
Five stars to Ms Hollick for creating a great read that kept me turning pages - while not wanting to get to the end I knew was there....