Profile for SilentSinger > Reviews

Content by SilentSinger
Top Reviewer Ranking: 740
Helpful Votes: 1921

SilentSinger (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick, Nude Attitude 4.2 g
Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick, Nude Attitude 4.2 g

3.0 out of 5 stars Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The problem with reviewing specific colours of cosmetics is that it's often really difficult to gauge a standard hue of lipstick, which in this case is nude because they can be subtly, but often dramatically different. I don't currently own much Revlon makeup, although I have in the past - my favourite brands at the moment are Boots Number 7 and Superdrug's budget MUA range, so I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to paying ££ for lipsticks etc. This is Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Nude Attitude 001 has a matte finish and applies best via a lip brush, although I have used the barrel directly onto my lips - the pointed tip makes perfecting the area around the Cupid's Bow fairly simple. The formula itself looks smooth and waxy and doesn't have any discernible smell.

I applied it twice - once directly from the barrel prior to drinking a latte and unfortunately it took quite a lot of it off and it smeared around the rim of the cup. I then re-applied it via a lip brush and ate a yogurt and some fruit - this removed a large amount too. As for the colour - well, I'm a medium/light blonde (with some peroxide!) and have light/medium skin and this colour didn't suit me at all - it looked like I'd put concealer on my lips instead of lipstick. Oh dear! I checked the Revlon Nude Attitude colour against my Boots Stay Perfect Matte Nude 15 lipstick and the latter was a more suitable match for my skintone because it's much browner and therefore accentuates the size of my lips without highlighting them in a somewhat alarming way. I'm also trialing this in the middle of winter, so despite my best intentions with old toothbrushes and Vaseline etc, my lips aren't quite as moisturised as they normally are and the formula of this lipstick just shows off any imperfections instead of hiding them. You'd think that a description such as 'Super Lustrous' would equate to a rich balm, but no, it really doesn't in this case.

In conclusion: the wrong colour for me and a fairly drying formula. This may suit different skintones and I'll re-review this item in the summer because I think it could work as a sheer colour over a lip gloss, but the matte texture doesn't really work for me.

Adonit Jot Pro Fine Point Stylus - Black
Adonit Jot Pro Fine Point Stylus - Black
Offered by nrsolutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Adonit Jot Pro Fine Point Stylus, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never had a decent stylus before - mine have very much been of the cheap faux pen/rubber tipped variety. Therefore, despite owning a smartphone and a couple of tablets for the last few years, I've never believed them to be essential to my somewhat limited requirements, so it was great to be able to test one of such quality. Retailing at the upper end of the market, the Adonit Jot Fine Point Stylus is a metal precision disc stylus which features a screw close cap, a textured finger grip and a clip. One thing which did hugely confuse me was the disc nib - initially I believed it to be a protection device for the ballpoint nib, but no - that was the tip of the stylus instead - once I'd mastered that then the rest was fairly simple.

I tested it on both my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone and my Google Nexus 7 tablet and it worked well on each. I used it to switch between apps on the tablet and downloaded the 'Draw Free' app onto my smartphone and played on that for a bit. The control is truly amazing and it's really enjoyable to use. Hopefully this won't lead to me downloading loads of other timewasting apps of that nature!

In conclusion: a lovely bit of kit. The only downsides that I can see are the price, which I believe to be a tiny bit expensive for my needs, but more experienced users may think that it's worthwhile. Also, the disc tip may break off/get lost at some point, especially if it's being used during a meeting/on public transport and drops to the floor. The clip is also very well, but didn't fit in my flush Galaxy S4 casing.

Philips Sonicare HX9331/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Philips Sonicare HX9331/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare DiamondClean: The Rolls Royce of Sonic Brushes, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent toothbrush with a wide range of options/facilities, and arguably the best on the market, with a price to match. Including standard cleaning, whitening, polishing, gum care and sensitive, so you could say this is model is for the connoisseur of toothbrushes. The amount of time the brush operates for each of these functions, from cleaning (2 minutes, to gum care – 3 minutes). Be warned though, there is no on/off button, so you have to work your way through all the settings if you want to go from cleaning (the first option) to sensitive (the fifth option) if your teeth start to play up whilst brushing and you want to change option. This can lead to toothpaste being sprayed everywhere if you take the brush from your mouth to see where you are! Having said that, you are left with a refreshing feeling in your mouth and I have to say that, as someone who has tried various brushes, this one provided one of the smoothest brushes I’ve ever had.

Probably its most distinctive feature is the recharging glass, which enable you to charge the unit in the same vessel as you place the brush in (the glass is charged separately and you then keep the brush in this). This enables you to get a good 3 weeks of use (although I’ve not had it this long yet so can’t confirm whether this is the case. The brush head is small, and you only get one per toothbrush, but the spares are readily available (for a price! online), thus enhancing its portability, not to mention the excellent travelling case. You can also charge the brush through its travelling case via a USB port, so makes this an ideal work travelling companion. The only drawback is the current price, which is within the premium range of cost), but I’m assuming this will fall in the coming months. Overall, I would give this 5/5 as a performer, and I’ve no doubt it will be top of the list of toothbrushes recommended by Dentists.

Airfix 1:48 Scale Folland Gnat Model Kit
Airfix 1:48 Scale Folland Gnat Model Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Airfix 1:48 Scale Folland Gnat Model Kit, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this for my husband to review as he used to enjoy making Airfix models back in his childhood.

It has been some time since I’ve built an Airfix kit and I’m pleasantly surprised at how far things have moved on. I gather that this is the third model Airfix have produced of the Gnat, but never before in 1/48. The Gnat was originally developed as a fighter, but was never used in that role and instead was converted into a training aircraft. The instructions are well presented and easy to follow, although you have to have nimble fingers to handle the items and use the glue effectively. The kit is laid out in easily understandable frames, with a separate bag for the clear mouldings. The moulding has been produced to an extremely high quality, and I was particularly impressed by the cockpit, and I’m sure in my day we never had such a level of detail. There are 2 choices of plastic canopies (one open, one closed, although Airfix only provided one pilot – odd for a 2 seater plane). The transfers (or decals as I gather they are called now!) are also quite detailed, although I found these a bit odd given that the paintwork is expected to be gloss and the decals are matt. Overall, I found putting this together an enjoyable experience, and would say this is a very good introduction to modelling, although aimed at the older child as you would need a certain level of dexterity to produce this, especially given the smallness of the pieces.

The Woman Who Stole My Life
The Woman Who Stole My Life
by Marian Keyes

3.0 out of 5 stars The Woman Who Stole My Life, 19 Jan. 2015
Marian Keyes writes so well that even her below par novels are a much better bet than other authors of her oeuvre, but unfortunately this wasn't her best work by far. This tells the story via the first person narrative of Stella Sweeney, Dublin mother-of-two who is in her early forties when the story begins. She develops a life-threatening immune-condition called Guillian Barre and ends up in hospital under the care of neurologist, Dr Mannix Taylor. Stella's home life isn't too good - the title has a double meaning in so far as it pertains to her artist cum bathroom designer husband Ryan's view of her and her two children, daughter Betsey and son Jeffrey are also horribly selfish. After the time spent in hospital, Stella, with her neurologist's help, pens a self-help book which leads to a completely different life as a writer in New York.

Right, so akin to other MK books, this is primarily written for a female readership, but if I'm mistaken, please comment accordingly. It's pithy, funny and very true to life in parts. However, MK has bizarrely decided to merge a hybrid of Mills and Boon Medical romance, 50 Shades of Grey and her previous novel, 'The Other Side Of The Story' into one long book and I think the narrative suffers as a result. The central character of Stella is rather wishy-washy for a MK heroine (compared to say, one of the Walsh sisters) and her family are pretty much horrible succubi - in fact, if I could have reached out of the book and punched Ryan and/or Jeffrey, I would have done. Some of the plot lines are fairly unbelievable - I mean, in the best will in the world, wouldn't a neurologist/former patient relationship be frowned upon under the Hippocratic Oath? It seems rather strange to me, as did the character of Georgie, Mannix's fashionista former wife.

Saying that, I read it all in about four evenings; yes, I did enjoy it and fully admit that Mannix charmed my girlish soul. Fewer chapters about weight loss (which have been adequately covered in 'Angels' and any US-based MK novel) would have been great. So, why 3 stars? Well, it just wasn't up to MK's normal standard and felt very 'cut and paste' at times. Why on earth the different him/her perspectives were used is beyond me, because apart from Stella's first person narration, there's naff all other perspective on the page and it's rather confusing.

Tacwise A54 Heavy Duty Hammer Tacker
Tacwise A54 Heavy Duty Hammer Tacker

5.0 out of 5 stars Tacwise A54 Heavy Duty Hammer Tacker, 19 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I lent this to my father, who loves tools (I've since wrested it away from him - literally!) He stated that the unit has a comfortable handle to enable the user to grip tightly for long periods without fear of slippage. The staple/tack pull out section takes a large amount of staples at a time (approximately 100) which is useful for completing long tasks; it loads in a very similar manner to an office stapler, which is useful to know in advance. The staples/tacks themselves are very strong indeed - my father tapped one into his Workmate and a light tap caused the staple to fully inbed. Further to this, the staples are very secure and are of good quality, so perfect for upholstering furniture.

My father borrowed this to fix the roof on the bird table and found it perfect for the job. Unlike a nail gun, this unit doesn't rely on compressed air to propel the staples/tacks into the surface, but works like a hammer instead and therefore can penetrate denser woods or surfaces in general. This product would be perfect for hobbyists, woodworkers or for any other related task around the house.

David Jason: My Life
David Jason: My Life
by David Jason

4.0 out of 5 stars David Jason: My Life, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: David Jason: My Life (Paperback)
I gave this book a rest half way through to read another one, but returned soon after. David Jason has enjoyed a huge career on both stage and screen and he comes across as a likable, albeit private individual. Unlike other actors, Jason is not afraid of criticizing others, which is refreshing compared to somebody such as Simon Pegg. I found that this book brought back many memories of the sheer body of work this talented man has undertaken and hope to revisit some of his back catalogue as a result. I found the descriptions of his former partner's demise very sad to read, but it was great to be able to share his happiness in finding a wife and fathering a child at a ripe old age.

Fans of comedy and Ronnie Barker in particular will adore this autobiography.

Liz Hurley: Uncovered
Liz Hurley: Uncovered
by Liz Hurley

3.0 out of 5 stars Liz Hurley: Uncovered Off of The Red Carpet, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Liz Hurley: Uncovered (Hardcover)
Liz Hurley is one of those 'slash' celebrities we're all used to reading about and by that, I mean that she's a model/spokesperson/actress/philanthropist/designer etc. This book, written by tabloid journalist, Alison Bowyer (who also penned a biography on Noel 'Tidybeard' Edmonds) is well-researched via the medium of press cuttings and re-watching old clips, but doesn't really get under the skin of the woman behind the glamorous facade, in fact, it appears that she doesn't really like her at all. The primary source material is extracted from people Liz knew way back in her Basingstoke schooldays, so there's nothing hugely riveting there.

If you like celebrity stories then this is a fairly good read, if not fantastic. It filled a few hours of my life anyway and I read it until the end.

Forefront Cases Leather Case Cover/Stand with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function for Apple iPad Mini - Black
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Case for iPad Air, 1 Jan. 2015
I purchased this to protect my son's new iPad Air from damage when he gets into a rage after not winning some game or other. It's very simple and fits well. It fastens with a magnetic closure and the back had a concertina-like finish to enable the user to fold it up in order to prop the device up for watching stuff being broadcast on the screen. Time will tell how long it lasts, but it was a good price and I'm very happy with it so far.

Childs Farm hair & body wash in organic sweet orange 250ml
Childs Farm hair & body wash in organic sweet orange 250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Smelling, Effective and Organic: What Else Could You Ask For?, 1 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My seven-year-old son suffers from slightly sensitive skin so we usually bathe him in E45 Junior Foaming Bath Milk, which seems to be mild and gentle enough to cleanse without irritation. The first thing I'd say that this product, Childs Farm Caked in Mud Hair and Body Wash smells divine - I'd liken the scent to Molton Brown products as it really smells expensive, clean and refreshing. According to the label it contains organic sweet orange essential oil and Argan oil to cut through grime and gently moisturise. It's really easy to use in either the bath or shower as it has a handy flip up lid, which is extremely useful when supporting a wriggling child in the bath/shower!

I think that this is an effective product and would wholly endorse it. It's on the same price point as the E45 Foaming Wash, which is fantastic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20