Profile for SilentSinger > Reviews

Content by SilentSinger
Top Reviewer Ranking: 758
Helpful Votes: 1959

SilentSinger (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Black Hard 2 Piece PVC Case Cover for Nano 4th Gen 4G UK
Black Hard 2 Piece PVC Case Cover for Nano 4th Gen 4G UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard Case for Nano 4th Generation iPod, 12 Nov. 2014
I purchased this to protect my 4th Generation iPod Nano because it's rather old and does get ported around quite a bit by yours truly. It was very reasonably priced and it was my belief that the screen above the selection wheel would be covered, but this isn't so, more's the pity. I did have trouble fitting my iPod into the case and one of the plastic lugs broke off whilst doing so, but it's brittle plastic, so I guess it's to be expected. I have dropped my iPod on the floor a couple of times since it's been ensconced in this case and it's protected it well - so that's all well and good.

In conclusion: it's fit for purpose and OK I suppose. Time will tell how long it lasts!

The seller was very good at dispatching this item.

Demon Ghost - Child's Halloween Costume (Size Medium - Age 7 to 9)
Demon Ghost - Child's Halloween Costume (Size Medium - Age 7 to 9)
Offered by TAOS

4.0 out of 5 stars Demon Ghost Costume, 12 Nov. 2014
Great costume, excellent service from the third party merchant via Amazon. My son wore this costume to a Halloween party. The mask was slightly difficult to wear, smelt rather rubbery (as indeed it would) and he subsequently lost it(!) The dress part was also rather long; however that's no fault of the costume!

However, after all of the publicity surrounding issues regarding child safety and flammable fabrics I've decided against allowing my son to wear such costumes in future.

Dr Martens Womens Ladies 16373001 Viola Black Leather Boot: Black: UK 9
Dr Martens Womens Ladies 16373001 Viola Black Leather Boot: Black: UK 9
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Martens Viola Moll Black Leather Boots, 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Dr Martens Moll Viola (Apparel)
I have coveted these for quite a while and plan to wear them for both casual and work occasions. I already own a pair of knee length Elena boots, but they're a rather wide fit, these aren't quite so, which suits me fine because I'm a standard D fitting. As for the boots themselves - smooth, hardwearing leather, a long zip plus an elasticated insert for ease of fitting. The sole has the standard DM ridged cleats plus a very small heel which I'd approximate to be 1inch/2.5cm. Probably the most important measurement in any high leg boots is the top circumference and these fit my 16.5in calves and at 5ft 9in they come to the top of my calf muscle. They don't look overtly 'Doc Marteny' if that makes any sense and are much more subtle than some of the other styles.

Wear wise, they have the DM patented bouncing soles, so they are very comfortable. I've worn them on half hour walks a few times now and they don't rub or pinch so far, which is great. I did protect them first by using the DM Wonder Balsam: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Martens-Wonder-Balsam/dp/B00C65W0LY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415825402&sr=8-1&keywords=dm+wonder+balsam as I have all my other DM footwear.

In conclusion: brilliant boots and I look forward to wearing them during the autumn and winter months. The seller was excellent - a great price and fantastic service.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2015 8:09 PM GMT

Classic British Comedies The DVD Board Game
Classic British Comedies The DVD Board Game
Offered by Seth Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic British Comedies: The DVD Board Game, 2 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
May I just say that this game is absolutely spot on for a comedy geek such as myself and I'm really pleased to be granted the chance to review it. Anyway, it's a hybrid DVD/board game which can be enjoyed by ages 8+, although saying that, unless your eight-year-old is a fan of BBC classic comedy, it's difficult to see how they could join in really? The game is played by choosing a British Comedy Award icon and using the two dice (one question-based, the other a normal die) to determine the category of the question, be it DVD, card, a choice of DVD or card or a Comedy Card); the DVD clips are taken from such shows as Ever Decreasing Circles, Last Of The Summer Wine, The Good Life, Yes, Minister, 'Allo 'Allo and many others and vary in difficulty from Observational, Casual and Expert. I did find some of the Expert questions very hard indeed! There are also a selection of comedy card questions which vary in difficulty.

I have now played the game twice: once with my husband, our son and a friend and the other, with my husband, son and brother-in-law - both guests said that they enjoyed the game immensely. My only slight beef is that the comedy mask award counters are top heavy and as a result, topple over somewhat during play, but that's just a minor point. I think that this is a perfect game for a comedy-loving family for Christmas.

Vax U88-AMM-Pe Air 3 Max Pet Upright Vacuum
Vax U88-AMM-Pe Air 3 Max Pet Upright Vacuum

3.0 out of 5 stars Vax Air3 Upright Cleaner, 2 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used this a fair few times now, mostly to clean downstairs as I don't wish to lug it up my extremely narrow flight of stairs because it's rather clunky. I had to read the instructions after I removed it from the box because in all of my years I've never previously owned an upright cleaner and as such, wasn't au fait about where to connect the pipe(!) There are a few tools supplied which hook onto the plastic recesses surrounding the bottom of the cylinder, but they're not strong enough to hold them in place when the machine's in motion. As for the efficacy of the machine - on hard floors it's pretty effective, but it depends on the layout of your house: I tend to believe that larger areas of floor suit uprights and fewer, cylinder cleaners. The lead length was also good.

The 'Pet' element of this cleaner was of paramount importance as we've recently adopted another cat, ergo there's quite a lot more fur flying around the place as the two moggies don't really see eye to eye (or should that be whisker to whisker?). I used the small, flat utensil to vacuum my cat's cushion and it worked very well indeed. The hose also attaches to a retractable brush/narrow crevice tool and I removed all of the dust balls which lurk under and behind both of my sofas and it seemed very effective. I would say that the hose itself tends to retract itself rather quickly, so I kept finding that I had to stretch it more frequently then I liked. I am not sure how sturdy the plastic would be in the long run, ditto the rest of the machine's build, which seems to be much more flimsy than my present cylinder Dyson.

So, in conclusion: it's 3 stars for now, maybe 3.5. if Amazon allowed me to choose this option. It's OK, but I'm not sure that it's on the same level as my Dyson.

The Original Spirograph New Generation Spirograph Studio Set
The Original Spirograph New Generation Spirograph Studio Set
Offered by eTwist

4.0 out of 5 stars Spirograph For The Next Generation, 29 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm old enough to remember playing with my Commercial Artist Great Uncle's Spirograph in the 1980s and it was an antediluvian version which involved physically pinning the various plastic discs to a thick board. Anyway, this the updated version and I was glad to be able to be able to test it out with the help of my seven-year-old son. There's an awful lot in this 'Studio Set' - a whole range of differently-shaped moulds/serrated discs into which the various cogs are placed and a pencil/pen/highlighter is inserted into one of the holes and a pattern emerges from guiding it around the cogs. Unlike the older version, this new and 'improved' system is supposed to adhere to the paper/card via the medium of rubber pads, but I kept finding myself holding it down with my left hand whilst guiding with the other. My son, whose fine motor skills aren't the best in the world because of his ASD/ADHD did find it difficult to steady the unit though.

In addition to the standard disc/cog components there are also some 'extras' which include a 3D colouring pencil which is basically a multi-leaded short colouring pencil inserted into a plastic sleeve. It did produce some interesting effects though and I've attached a photograph to 'show our workings' so to speak. There is also a pair of illuminated 3D glasses which my son wore and were a bit 'meh' to be honest. In fact, this set seems to include some rather unnecessary 'extras' which bump up the price, but not necessarily the quality of usage or customer satisfaction. It also comes complete with a plastic zip fastening wallet to store all of the elements in, but the small plastic 'zip' element came adrift as I found that I couldn't fit all of the kit into it, which kind of defeats the object really.

In conclusion: quite a lot of money for parents to fork out for a product which has some rather plasticky questionable improvements. I'm additionally planning to test this out with my art-loving young nieces to gain a girl's perspective in the very near future, so I'll update this review accordingly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2014 10:14 AM GMT

Pet Head Cat Dry Clean Spray
Pet Head Cat Dry Clean Spray

3.0 out of 5 stars Smelly Cat, 26 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I guess it depends whether you've got, in Phoebe Buffay from FriendsSpeak: a smelly cat? I tried this product on my fourteen-year-old domestic short-haired moggie, Tilly as I was concerned about my nine-month old's constitution not quite being up to it. Tilly, a flabby tortie with a slight smattering of cat dandruff on her fur wasn't keen at all, but I persevered anyway, spraying it in her back and hind regions and then towelling it off with kitchen roll, the hairdryer option suggested on the packaging would have undoubtedly irked her feline soul. Anyway, she ran up the stairs and then his under the bed for half an hour or so. She later emerged and I smelt her; it was like sitting in a hair salon, so all in all, somewhat artificial.

I suppose if you own a long-haired breed then this would be a boon, but not so much for me. I shall pass it onto my brother who owns a large, old hairy dog to test it on him. Hopefully all will be well.

The Timewaster Letters
The Timewaster Letters
by Robin Cooper

4.0 out of 5 stars The Timewaster Letters, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
Having enjoyed Robert Popper's comedy in shows such as 'Look Around You' and 'Friday Night Dinner' I read that he'd produced a series of letters under the pseudonym Robin Cooper. Originally published regularly in 'Jack' magazine (no, I've never heard of it either...) they begin in 1999 and conclude in 2003 and are of varying quality. Some are laugh-out-loud hilarious and my husband banned me from reading them in bed, but others are less so. I did enjoy the sense of ridiculous that Popper created and the fact that the London Mayors' Association actually published his blueprints for some new mace designs in one of their newsletters was a touch of genius. I also enjoyed some of the running jokes such as the tubby nature of Cooper's neighbour's cat. The fish frying correspondence was also pretty funny.

In conclusion: a great book, really funny. However I think that the original serialisation was probably better because reading letter after letter in one, two or indeed three sittings could become a little tiresome. Perhaps Mr Cooper could send some of his publishing profits off to the victims of the Battle of Hastings?

Gillette Mach3 Turbo Refill Razor Blades - Pack of 8
Gillette Mach3 Turbo Refill Razor Blades - Pack of 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Gillette Mach3 Turbo Refill Razor Blades, 24 Oct. 2014
These are the only razor blades my husband will use as they're so efficient. The multi-blade system allows a close, efficient and smooth shave and the moisture bars provide lubrication where necessary. I must admit that I have borrowed his razor (don't tell him!) myself when I've ran out of refills and it's brilliant for legs and armpits too. Great price on Amazon too.

Gillette Venus Divine Sensitive 8 Razor Blade Refills
Gillette Venus Divine Sensitive 8 Razor Blade Refills

5.0 out of 5 stars Gillette Venus Divine Razor Blades, 24 Oct. 2014
Great price for eight razor blades. These fit onto any Gillette lady razor handles, which is great. The blades provide a very smooth and safe shave. The only issue is the moisture strip tends to degrade a bit after three or so uses, but generally these are excellent.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20