Profile for SilentSinger > Reviews

Content by SilentSinger
Top Reviewer Ranking: 671

SilentSinger "Wife, mother, reader. Preferred genres include psychological fact and fiction, comedy and (auto)biography." (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TECEVO FX3 AptX Bluetooth V4.0 Stereo Earphones With Handsfree Wireless Sports Headset - NFC Enabled - Ideal for use with Apple iTouch, iPad 1 2 3 4 Air iPhone 3 4 4s 5 5s 6 6Plus , HTC, Samsung Galaxy, LG, Nokia etc (FX3 Black)
Offered by DigiDirect

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish From Start to Finish (and that's if they charge...), 8 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I own enough devices to fill an office so I thought that this product would prove easy to set up and use. Boy, was I wrong! Firstly these headphones seem incapable of charging, having tried various methods such as a USB connection to a laptop, an DC-enabled plug extension and finally, an alternative laptop. The only way I could get it to run was to have the charge lead in permanently, which is pretty darn useless. Then, having overcome that problem, I tried pairing with my husband's Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone, but there was no joy to be had there either. I’m not clear whether this is because it seems incapable of charging, or it cannot pair against the Xperia, so I tried connecting it with my own Galaxy S4 phone, but that didn't work either. The earphones were also unwieldy, difficult to put on, and uncomfortable when I did manage to place them on my ears. They really are impossible to use whilst wearing glasses.

In conclusion: utter tosh - don't waste your money. I'll be placing them in the nearest WEEE recycling container.

Braun Face 810 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush
Braun Face 810 Facial Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush
Offered by Digital2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Braun SE810 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing System, 7 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am fairly hairy due to my ancestry, hence as I grow older, the problem of facial hair keeps rearing its ugly follicle. After an effusive recommendation on Mumsnet I have been using an Epistick: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epistick-Epilator-Complete-Instructions-RazorBlades4u/dp/B004LNXA0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425727762&sr=8-1&keywords=epistick for a while now which, although cheap, gives a rather patchy result at times. In the past I've used a combination of waxing, threading, laser treatments and even electrolysis, each having somewhat limited success - hence why I prefer to defuzz in the privacy of my bathroom nowadays.

The Braun SE810 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing system is very simple to use - it consists of a battery operated motorized stick on which the user can place either a rotating facial brush or a small upright cylindrical epilator. The former is used in conjuction with a liquid cleanser or facial soap etc on wet skin and the latter on dry, clean skin without any spots, scars or irritation

I tend to suffer from a slightly hairy face, which quite frankly, is pretty normal for a woman of my age and ethnic background. To effectively deal with this issue, I've been using the Mumsnet-approved Epistick facial epilator: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epistick-Epilator-Complete-Instructions-RazorBlades4u/dp/B004LNXA0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425727762&sr=8-1&keywords=epistick. Prior to that, I used a combination of waxing, electric epilation, threading, home lasering via the Philips system and finally, professional electrolysis. It's a range of solutions, but my preferred way of dealing with superfluous facial fluff is to carry out the process myself in the privacy of my own bathroom.

The Braun SE810 is perfect for this. The kit comes complete with a battery-powered motorized stick onto which you can place two different heads upon: ergo the rotating cleansing brush or the upright barrel epilator. I tested the cleansing brush first on damp skin using some liquid Olay cleanser as lubricant and the result was gentle, but effective. I tend to wear quite a lot of make up in the week, but less at weekends to allow my skin enough time to breathe, but this product did a great job and my visage felt fantastic afterwards. Secondly, I tested the epilator on my now dry, moisturizer free skin (the guidance states quite categorically that this product shouldn't be used on moles, broken skin, spots etc) and the small size and shape of the head seemed really effective in removing the hair under my chin, in the chin crevice, the top lip and on the lower parts of my cheeks - I was really impressed. In my opinion, it didn't hurt a great deal and from personal experience it's much nicer than say, threading (ouch!) or electrolysis, which is akin to being stung on the face by a swarm of angry bees.

Time will tell how long the battery lasts, but I'm really impressed so far and it's great that a product is dual use. I'd highly recommend this product.

Philips HX6732/45 Healthy White Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips HX6732/45 Healthy White Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips HX6732/45 Healthy White Rechargeable Toothbrush, 5 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am building up quite a number of Philips SonicCare electric toothbrushes now, but in my opinion, which I share with many other satisfied users, they are the veritiable 'Rolls Royce' of home dental care. This model is fairly simple compared to some of the other more expensive models, but it seems very effective indeed. It has three settings: clean; sensitive and clean and white. The model contains a 'quadpacer' and 'smarttimer' which are, respectively, a device which the user can judge how long to clean one specific quartile of their mouth and a timing device which allows the user to ensure that teeth are cleaned for the recommended two minute duration. The stand is also a great idea - I tend to place mine (and my husband's) toothbrush in a specially designed electric toothbrush holder which I also purchased from Amazon, but unfortuately cannot find a link to.) but the stand has the added bonus of containing a recharge indicator and a stand for the spare brush head. It also has a cord wrap which allows the unit to be charged tidily, which is especially useful when travelling; along with this, there's a hard case to ensure that the unit does not get damaged in transit.

In regard to the cleaning effecacy: currently my left lower molar is proving very sensitive indeed, so this unit's gentle setting is really welcome and seems to work well. The other settings, clean and clean and white are very effective too. Time will tell whether my teeth will appear whiter after a fortnight of twice daily brushing, but rest assured that I'll edit my review accordingly to reflect this.

In conclusion: great technology, great price and just a brilliant piece of kit. Brushing with a manual brush occasionally when out and about is such a faff after using Philips Sonicare brushes for the last ten years or so. Recommended.

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-961 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator & Exfoliation system with 6 Extra Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars Braun Silk Epil 9 9961 SkinSpa Wet/Dry Epilator, 5 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, here's my bottom line, epilation, despite being dressed up in varous technological ways, involves a series of mechanical rotating metal tweezers literally pulling your hair out from the skin, so yeah, it hurts. The casing of this epilator is cushioned, thus allowing it to glide across curvy areas such as the calves, under the armpits etc. I think the most impressive element of this is the ability to use it in the bath, thus the action of the hot water softens the skin and hair shafts accordingly, allowing for a less painful epilation experience. My leg hair was about 0.4mm (approximately!) long when I tested this product, mainly because it's winter and my pins are usually hidden under leggings or jeans, so therefore there's really no need to defuzz them on a regular basis. It hurt, yes it did - I won't lie, but saying that, it was kind of effective though, albeit a little patchy in places, so I ended up tidying up the end result with a wet shave.

I also used the epilator on my face and it was very effective indeed. I'd recommend that any users carry out this process in the evening, thus allowing the redness to subside overnight. I also tried out the smaller, more concentrated head for discrete areas, such as the top lip etc.

The hair trimmer worked well too to 'mow' my public hair. The razor attachment wasn't so useful as I always find that electric shaving doesn't provide a smooth enough shave in my opinion. The sonic brush was excellent and was fantastic for sloughing off my winter skin - I used it on my legs and on my bottom and it was much easier (and more effective) then using a manual brush.

In conclusion: a great product for hair removal. I'm not brave enough to try epilating my armpits or (horror of horrors) bikini line, but on the legs, it gives a good result, albeit a tiny bit patchy.

Apple iPod nano 16GB, 7th Generation - Silver
Apple iPod nano 16GB, 7th Generation - Silver
Offered by British Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Apple iPod nano 16GB, 7th Generation, 2 Mar. 2015
My husband bought me this iPod a while ago now to replace my previous model (which still works!) I'm more of an Android kind of person, but am aware that so much material is available via iTunes, hence why I have two systems. I guess that this 7th Generation model, which is apparently the last generation of iPod that Apple are going to produce, is trying to ape the look of a very thin smartphone - well, the touch screen seems rather similar anyway. I always struggle hugely with syncing anything from iTunes, but mostly use this device to listen to podcasts, which seem to work well. There are quite a few other features such as Videos, Fitness (which I don't need because I have already got a Nike FuelBand, but this system allows you to track your walking and running distances, which is useful if you either carry this around on long runs/walks, but personally I don't because I think that it's a tiny bit dangerous in busy London. The Radio function isn't particularly exciting, but it does offer FM frequency listening via the medium of the headphones as antenna. The videos are quite cute really and I downloaded some episodes of the comedy 'Carpool' to watch on the train - the tiny screen was a little limiting, but cute anyway. I haven't used the Photograph function because, again, my smartphone does this so much better. Finally, the Voice Memos is a nice touch and useful if you like that kind of thing?

In conclusion: the end of an era really as I have a strong affection for the iPod, even if others don't. I can see why Apple no longer produce them though as everything has been superseded by the ubiquity of the smartphone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2015 4:53 PM GMT

NW
NW
by Zadie Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars NW, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: NW (Paperback)
This is the first Zadie Smith novel I've read, however it may also be the last. The premise was interesting: the integrated stories of four different protagonists live their lives out in North West London (hence the 'NW' of the title.) Some of the stories were fairly compelling (Leah's), others confusing. I'm not really sure whether mixing the narrative about into a first, second and third person focus really works to be honest. That said, I enjoyed this book, but it did seem a little too much style over substance for my tastes.

Barbie Princess Power Superhero Vanity Playset
Barbie Princess Power Superhero Vanity Playset

3.0 out of 5 stars Barbie Princess Power Superhero Vanity Unit, 28 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a mother to a young boy, but also have two nieces aged six and four respectively, both of whom are very into Barbie and all of the pink world she inhabits, so I tested this product on both of them. The unit itself was very easy to assemble and took about five minutes put together. The girls were really excited about the toy at first, especially the secret compartments, drawers, accessories etc. However, they soon lost interest when none of the family (especially them!) didn't have the correct make and model of tablet or smartphone which would fit in the case. Therefore, unfortunately, it has now been consigned to their room for the last five days and my brother reports that he hasn't seen them play with it again.

I believe that this product therefore has a very limited usage and as a result, the price point is set rather too high to justify its price per play.

Case Logic CRGE2177W Rotating Slim Folio Cover for 10.1 inch Galaxy Tab 4 - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Case Logic Rotating Slim Folio Cover, 26 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will begin my review by stating that this case doesn't fit my Samsung Galaxy S tablet, although I truly believed that it would - so this is a warning to double check your tablet's version/make/dimensions before parting with your cash. I have therefore drafted my review of the case as though my tablet had fit into it if that makes sense?

Right - it consists of a rubberised white cover with a pinprick design - mine smelt pretty strongly of fish when I removed it from the packaging. The plastic casing which holds the tablet in place has the requisite holes to allow access to the camera, on/off switch/charging port etc; it also rotates through 360 degrees. It can be folded back on itself via the blue tab at the back to fit into the cover to provide a firm surface for screen watching etc. It can also be used in landscape and portrait configurations. I'd imagine that this kept the tablet inside well protected due to its thickness and materials used. The white colour I received would probably become very grubby if hiked around on a regular London commute for example.

In conclusion: a good enough case, but rather pricey compared to say, the one I have for my Galaxy tablet. It has some nice features, but nothing which would raise it hugely above the specification of my existing case.

Belkin Universal Folio Case for 7 inch Tablet - Black
Belkin Universal Folio Case for 7 inch Tablet - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Belkin Universal Folio Case for 7 inch Tablets, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, in our households we own a selection of pads in different sizes, so I tried this Belkin Universal Folio Case for 7-8 inch tablet on my Google Nexus 7, my son's Samsung 8 inch Galaxy Tab and his much newer Apple iPad Air. The unit has bungee like elasticated strips under the back cover which allow the two top corners to stretch an extra inch to provide coverage for slightly larger tablets. It worked well on my Nexus, but it had about 0.5 inch/1 cm space around the three sides and at least 1 inch/2.5 cm at the top. I particularly liked the 'camera' flap option (which is basically a large triangle that folds down and exposes the camera lens by adhering to the back cover via the clever use of a magnet. This is perfect for me because I'm often having to take my Nexus out of its current case whilst I'm listing and photographing items for sale on eBay. I also quite liked the folding triangular stand which made typing and using the tablet much easier. My main issue with this pad is the term 'universal' because, quite frankly, it isn't. I had no problem fitting my son's Galaxy Tab in there and it was a great fit, however his Apple iPad Air was a different story as the round covers lent on the on/off button and therefore it wasn't suitable at all.

I think it's a great cover for the money though, but be aware of its limitations.

Levi's Women's High Rise Skinny Jeans, Blue Lagoon, W32/L34
Levi's Women's High Rise Skinny Jeans, Blue Lagoon, W32/L34

3.0 out of 5 stars Levi's Women's High Rise Skinny Jeans, 20 Feb. 2015
I'm currently debating whether to keep these jeans or send them back. I am already the proud owner of a pair of Levi's High Rise Skinny Jeans in the dark red/mulberry hue in the same size, 32/34 and they fit me perfectly - but these sadly don't. They are currently too small around the waist and I doubt that they'll stretch without digging in overtly. The lower leg/calf region is also rather too tight compared to the Levi's Slight Curve skinny jeans I normally wear and the amount of elastane mixed with the slightly heavier weight of denim, hence why they're not as pliant as some of the other pairs I own. The colour also is much more 'stonewashed' in reality than I expected from the photographs.

I think I'll go and try some jeans on in Uniqlo to see whether I can purchase a pair akin to my super stretch ones.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20