Profile for Mr. G. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. Jones

Mr. G. Jones (Windsor, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Skyfall (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Skyfall (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathing life into a dying franchise, 5 April 2013
Firstly I am amazed that this film has received such mixed reviews (look at the number of 1 star reviews for example).

I have to admit that I got bored with bond around the time Pierce Brosnan took over. Not because I thought he was a bad bond or even that the films weren't any good. It is just that after so many Bond films I guess I ran out of steam.

I stopped watching these action thrillers for a number of years until the Bourne trilogy came out. With the exception of the shaky camera work (which spoils it for me) these films were excellent. Intriguing plots and excellent action sequences - it all just seemed fresher than the stale old Bond.

I watched Casino Royale because of the hype surrounding the new Bond Daniel Craig. I thought it was OK but still lacked something. Quantum of Solace was just awful (can anyone who hasn't watched the film since it was originally released actually remember any of the plot line?).

I was therefore a bit hesitant when I watched Skyfall. I knew it had received excellent reviews and that colleagues at work were saying it was the best bond film for a long time but I was worried it had been over hyped.

I can honestly say that it was like a breath of fresh air. Bond films were interesting again! The plot was great - no more Russian/North Korean/etc. baddies. This time - a disenchanted ex agent - was different and I thought the character was really quite disturbing (unlike a lot of Bond baddies in recent years who were just dull).

The plot was great - a lot revealed about Bond himself, new characters introduced and some of the old cleared out. The new Q is an excellent actor (see him in Perfume if you don't believe me) and made a refreshing change from the inappropriately farcical John Cleese version. The new M is a great actor. The new Moneypenny is no worse than some we've had in the past.

By the end I just thought "Wow!" This was such a revelation after the last film. I honestly thought the Bond franchise was on its last legs but this film has given it a new lease of life.

I really can't understand the 1 star reviews (having read quite a few of them) as this film is the best of the Daniel Craig's and one of the best of all time (and I am not just going along with the crowd as per the "emperor's new clothes" 1-star reviewer suggests).

I am actually looking forward to the next Bond film - an emotion I haven't felt for a long time.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bill Hader

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but good, 1 Mar 2013
This was certainly an original film! Because it was so quirky I'm not sure what some will make of it. It had a reasonable plot, fairly likeable characters, a fair amount of action (mostly food falling from the sky!) and was about the right length.

However there was something missing for me to give it 5 stars but I think a lot of families will enjoy this and I may watch it again one day.

I can't comment on the 3D as my wife wanted to watch it in 2D (she doesn't like the 3D glasses) but from what I saw I wouldn't be surprised if the 3D was quite good (flying food probably lends itself to some good 3D moments!).

Open Season 3D (Blu-ray 3D) [2010] [Region Free]
Open Season 3D (Blu-ray 3D) [2010] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Martin Lawrence
Offered by Helgy

2.0 out of 5 stars What am I missing?, 1 Mar 2013
I read the reviews before I bought this and can't understand why so many people like this film. Maybe I have seen too many animated films but this one had a very basic story, unoriginal characters and weak humour.

I am an adult so I know I'm not the target audience. However many adults love Monsters Inc., Toy Story, Shrek, etc. as these films work on both adult and child levels. This film definitely lacked something and my wife and I got bored before the film was half way through. My wife gave up but I stuck with it until the end. Sadly it didn't get any better.

The story is very simple and unoriginal - domesticated bear finds itself in the wild, pines for home, gets used to wild and decides to stay.

This film reminded me of one of the weaker Disney offerings (Oliver and company, Robin Hood, etc.). It is OK and would probably keep the kids quiet on a rainy Sunday afternoon but surely it doesn't deserve 5 stars does it???

Epson EHTW6100 2300 Lumens Projector
Epson EHTW6100 2300 Lumens Projector
Price: £1,249.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 1 Mar 2013
I previously owned an SD 4x3 projector. It was DLP and gave a good picture with reasonable colours and fairly deep blacks. The problem was my wife and I both suffered badly from the rainbow effect and therefore didn’t use the projector as much as we would have liked. Eventually I saved up enough to get the TW6100. Being a different technology there is absolutely no rainbow effect – hooray! There is no doubt that the picture quality is a measurable improvement (it’s full HD for a start) over the old projector but I have to say I was expecting the wow factor and didn't get it. Don’t get me wrong the projector performs very well but the step up from the old projector wasn’t as great as I was expecting. The blacks are not black but dark grey. A blu-ray or HD Freesat input looks great in terms of picture clarity but it can’t compare to the colours and blacks you get with a flat screen TV.

I like a bright picture and fairly strong colours and this can be sort of achieved by using the “Living room” colour setting but at the expense of greatly increased fan noise. You can also hear an intermittent whirring sound which I believe is the shutter and this can be very distracting during quiet parts of a film (i.e. normally at points of high emotion when characters aren’t saying that much to each other). We watched Skyfall the other night and during the quiet bits the shutter noise was very distracting.

The 3D performance is pretty good although I don’t have anything to compare it with. Because you have to wear the 3D glasses this helps make the blacks much darker so I sometimes watch 2D films with the glasses on just to get the better blacks!

Overall this is undoubtedly a very good projector and if you have never owned a projector before then I think you will be very pleased with it. However if you are stepping up then you may be slightly disappointed with the blacks, the fan noise at times, and the shutter whirring sound during quiet moments.

SoBuy Nursing Home Auto-Touch Overbed Table, Bed Table, Laptop Table, Sofa Side Table, FBT07N2-W
Offered by SoBuy-Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Using as a projector table, 22 Jan 2013
I am using this table for a different purpose. I recently purchased an Epson TW6100 projector and spent ages looking for a table to put it on. I looked at lots of dedicated projector stands and tables but none fitted the bill. They were either far too expensive or didn't have the right height range I was looking for. I saw this table and it seemed to fit the bill.
The height adjusts perfectly for the height I need to project on to my 120" screen. As the table is on castors it moves very easily across my wooden living room floor. This means I can quickly set up my projector and be watching films in no time at all.
The table comes with plastic strips on the top of the table which stop books and things sliding off when you have the table inclined towards you. I was able to remove these (just a few screws) so that they didn't get in the way of the projector.
So far it has worked very well and seems to be well built and strong enough to easily support the weight of the projector.
It probably won't meet everybody's needs as a projector stand but it works very well for me.

KanaaN HDMI Matrix 4 Input 2 Outputs (4x2) Splitter Switch - 3D Enabled - FullHD 1080p + Remote Control + HDMI 1.3b + Cinch Audio Output

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but a bit fiddly, 22 Jan 2013
I bought this switch in order to have three devices outputting to two devices. The three inputs are a Humax FoxSat Freesat box (HD but not 3D), a Panasonic BDT120 Blu-Ray player (HD and 3D) and a Wii (I had to purchase a Wii to HDMI converter from Amazon). The outputs are a Sony TV (not Smart or 3D) and an Epson TW6100 projector (Full HD 3D). I didn't want to have to mess about pulling cables in and out so this switch seemed to be the answer.
On the whole it has been a good experience but there are a few things to watch out for:

1) I now have 5 remote controls (soon to increase to 6 once my electric projector screen arrives). Perhaps not surprising I have found that some of the remotes interfere with each other. It is so complicated that I haven't yet worked out which do and which don't but I find the projector switching inputs, devices switching off, all when I was trying to do something else!

2) When outputting 3D to my projector the order I do things is critical otherwise the Blu-Ray player thinks it is connected to a 2D device. I have to switch this switch so that the Blu-Ray is outputting to the projector then switch the output to the TV to be anything but the Blu-Ray player. I then turn on the projector and then finally turn on the Blu-Ray player!

3) The external audio output (i.e. the one separate from the HDMI audio) from this switch only relates to output A which in my case is the output to the TV. Hence in the above scenario in point 2) I have to finally switch the TV input to the Blu-Ray player in order to get sound through my externally connected speakers! This means whilst I can watch a different signal on the TV to the projector, I have to use the projector's built in speakers to hear anything otherwise the external speakers will only be outputting whatever signal the TV is receiving. In practice this is not a problem for me as the TV and Projector are in the same room and I doubt if I would ever want then both on at the same time.

As you can see things are not perfect but now I have (mostly) worked out what is going on it does what I need it to do. My wife isn't happy with so many remotes nor with the complication of having to work out which input (labelled 1 to 4) relates to which input device and that the TV is output A and the projector is output B! There must be a simpler and better way but I haven't discovered it yet.

Windows 8 All-in-One For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
Windows 8 All-in-One For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
by Woody Leonhard

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's multi-monitor Support?, 23 Oct 2012
I only received this book today and went straight to the index for references to Windows 8 support for multiple monitors (one of the key features of interest to me as I have a 3-monitor setup).

There were only two page references (bad start). I looked up one and could find no reference to multiple monitors at all. The other page talked briefly about Windows 8 improved support for multiple monitors but referred the reader to Section VI Chapter 2. I have skim read the entire chapter and again can't see a single reference to multiple monitors? For example there is no mention of the "Span" option which allows a single image to span multiple monitors. It is completely omitted from the list of described options which makes me think the author has either forgotten the feature exists or his book is based on an earlier version of Windows 8 that didn't have the feature???

I will examine the book more thoroughly over the next few days but for now I am extremely worried that Mr Leonhard has put a placeholder in there where he meant to cover multiple monitors but in the rush to get the book out has omitted the section? It makes me wonder if there are any other features missing?

If this purports to be a Windows 8 guide the least you would expect is that it covers all the features???

If anyone has got this book please can they point me to the relevant section?

Thanks.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2012 3:06 AM GMT

Corsair CSSD-C60GB Accelerator Series 60GB Solid State Drive
Corsair CSSD-C60GB Accelerator Series 60GB Solid State Drive

1.0 out of 5 stars NVidia SATA chipset WARNING, 4 Jun 2012
Beware the Dataplex software IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the NVidia chipset. Dataplex confirmed to me today (after I had purchased this drive and got errors using it) that they last month stopped support for the NVidia SATA controller chipset. Most newer motherboards don't have NVidia any more apparently but mine, and I'm sure many others, does. I can't rate the product as it wouldn't work with my setup. I am returning this drive to Amazon tomorrow as luckily this was spotted within the 30 days.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2012 1:50 PM GMT

Build A Rocket Boys!
Build A Rocket Boys!

2.0 out of 5 stars First impressions - disappointing, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: Build A Rocket Boys! (Audio CD)
My wife introduced me to Elbow when she purchased The Seldom Seen Kid (SSK). I really liked it because a) it was different and b) there was a variety of different tracks, some slow, medium and fast and all pretty good.

I then purchased Leaders of the Free World (LFW) which is my personal favourite. We then went to see Elbow at Wembley and really enjoyed it. On the back of these two albums we then bought Cast of Thousands (CT) and Asleep in the Back (AB). These two albums have to rate as two of the most unmemorable albums ever. I think we played them twice and gave up. We put this down to Elbow having to find their way before producing the great LFW and SSK.

We looked forward to Build a Rocket Boys (BRB). I have to say that I have listened to it twice and it is really quite uninspiring. The previous mixture of slow, medium and fast has largely been replaced with slow.

If like me you liked Station Approach and Mexican Standoff (both from LFW) then you will be very disappointed with this album. For me it never really gets going. There are few memorable tracks that you will find yourself humming to.

If you like gentle background music then you'll probably like this. If you like variety then you may be unimpressed.

I will listen to it again but I'm not sure it will ever grow on me.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2011 1:54 PM GMT

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing ending, 9 Mar 2011
I read Da Vinci and Angels & Demons before this. I thought the latter was the best book but the former made the best film. I didn't read The Lost Symbol but rather I listened to the talking book whilst travelling to work each day. Having read the fairly bad reviews when the book first came out I decided to leave it a fair while before giving TLS a try.

I have to say up until near the end I actually enjoyed it. It had the usual Dan Brown feel to it and, whilst not as good as the other two books, I felt that perhaps some of the reviews had been a little harsh. I think it will make quite a good film too.

However, there are moments in the book where Dan Brown waffles on and on about the mysteries of the ancients, etc. I felt like saying "just get on with the story", but on the whole I still looked forward to each instalment.

For me the biggest let down is the ending. The subject matter, as with all his books, is really just a bit of fun and is mostly utter nonsense. That would be OK if Dan Brown didn't keep going on about it and talking it seriously. After what I thought was a fairly good climax (a few chapters before the end) we are then subjected to some very tedious dialogue between two or three of the main characters and you are left wondering why Dan Brown bothered. The big reveal at the end is probably the biggest anti climax you'll get in a novel of this genre.

I feel it would have been better if the big secret hadn't been revealed. I thought the Masons were going to close ranks, hide the secret away for another few hundred years and leave the reader wondering what the big secret was.

I do wonder if Dan Brown is losing his way a little and whether he should call a day to Robert Langdon. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong by writing the best RL book ever next time around.

Conclusion: if you like Dan Brown's style then you'll probably like this but be prepared for a very disappointing ending and occasional tedium.

Page: 1 | 2