Profile for nightmail > Reviews

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf
Price: 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars a waste of time and ingredients AVOID, 9 Nov 2009
I have been seduced by this book for the last time. Five recipes and five disasters later I am just about to consign my lemon meringue pie to the bin- together with the so called 'recipe' book that spawned it.
It's obvious what has happened here- the commercial recipes have just been divided by a factor of ten in order to scale them down for a domestic kitchen- but have never been properly tested.
If they had- they'd know that the resulting 'cakes' are either raw, or don't fit into the prescribed tins- or overflow when they rise- or don't rise because the mixtures are too runny, I could go on. But I don't need to, as all the other reviews quite eloquently describe exactly the same thing- the upshot being these recipes simply don't work.
I had already bought the ingredients so I stupidly thought I'd give it one more chance with their Lemon Meringue Pie. Here's what happened: The pastry base remained completely raw after blind baking for three times the given timings. The lemon filling needed three times the cooking time. The meringue was rock hard on the outside and completely raw on the inside.
Oh- and the ingredients were enough to make two pies.
And don't get me started on the Pound Cake. No amount of cooking would transform this batter into something solid that could be sliced.Eating raw cake mix by the spoonful is not something I have ever enjoyed. And once again- too much batter for the size of tin they call for,
Obviously this book was hastily cobbled together to cash in on the fashionability of the bakery, something which is all too common. The sad thing is- if I hadn't made scores of successful cakes and loaves over the years- this book would leave me convinced that I couldn't bake.
I am an experienced cook and a successful one- but this book has provided me with about 75% of the kitchen disasters I have experienced in nearly thirty years of cooking.
AVOID.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2012 2:53 PM BST