Profile for Reader from Belgium > Reviews

Content by Reader from Be...

Reader from Belgium

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk (How to Help Your Child) (How to Help Your Child)
by Adele Faber

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, and not just for parents, 22 Aug. 2010
The principles in this book apply to communicating with anyone of any age. We all need to be spoken to and treated with respect, no matter what age. The book points out that some things we might say with the best of intentions are actually counter-productive, and provides better alternatives. I don't even have children, but a friend of mine who does was reading the book and it caught my eye. I read the first few pages and decided I wanted to know more.

It's light-hearted and easy to read, giving loads of real-life examples to show how the principles can be used in all kinds of situations. It's broken up with pages of cartoon-style drawings to reinforce the points made, so even if you just want to flick through quickly, you'll still pick up some helpful info.

Very highly recommended.

"Vogue Knitting": The Ultimate Knitting Book
"Vogue Knitting": The Ultimate Knitting Book
by Vogue

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 31 May 2009
Having read the reviews of others, and having had a personal recommendation to buy this book, I'm afraid I'm a bit disappointed. It does indeed cover a wide range of knitting topics, some of which I'd never even heard of and will no doubt find useful, but I don't find the treatment of each topic anywhere near exhaustive, which is what the sub-title of the book had lead me to expect.

In some sections there seems to be the assumption that the reader is already quite a confident/accomplished knitter. I'm an intermediate-to-advanced knitter, I'd say, but I'm struggling with some of the explanations, for example, that for grafting two pieces of stockinette stitch together (pgs. 102-103, also known as Kitchener stitch). I eventually gave up and went to YouTube for the answer, where I found an excellent tutorial that brought the whole thing into focus for me. Having re-read the instructions in the book, there's no way I would have worked out the technique from that alone.

The book doesn't have as many step-by-step illustrations as some other knitting books I've seen, so if one is learning a completely new technique, it can be a bit confusing.

On balance, I'm glad I have the book, as it's already come in handy for one technique I was having trouble with, but unfortunately I can't give it my whole-hearted recommendation.

50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws
50 Sensational Crochet Afghans & Throws
by Bobbie Frits

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, clearly written, excellent value, 27 May 2009
This book is a visual treat, and like one of the other reviewers, I found that there are only a couple of the patterns that I didn't like. If I had to pay a euro (or dollar) for each of the 50 patterns, the book would still be excellent value. The photography is beautifully done, making it easy to see how the stitches should look, and making for an inspiring read. This is a book you could leave on your coffee table for people to enjoy leafing through. Anyone who has ever crocheted at any point in their lives will be moved to pick up their hook and yarn and get busy.

There's a page in the back with a reminder (i.e. drawings and text) about the various stitch types, for those whose crochet skills have got a little rusty. The patterns are written in American crochet terminology, but if you're not accustomed to that, don't worry, because there's a conversion table in the back that gives the British equivalents.