Profile for D. Markham > Reviews

Content by D. Markham

D. Markham "Calmarsi" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Best thing on TV for a good while!, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Sherlock - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
So..why do I give it a 4? Well, that's because not all of the episodes are on par with each other (in my opinion). I noticed it in the last series, and in this series it seems the pattern has been repeated, and that is that the 2nd episode does not compare with the 1st and 3rd in terms of plot-line and substance. It is only my opinion, but the Hounds Of Baskerville felt quite slow, and occasionally ridiculous at times when compared to the other episodes in the sereis. That said, it's still a heck of a lot better than what I consider the TV norm. The acting, of course, is spectacular from the cast, significantly the two leads, and they continue to play off of each other brilliantly. The season finale has left me gasping for more, and I cannot wait to see the season 3!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game..would be even better without constant glitches!, 25 Dec. 2011
This game is absolutely stunning; the graphics are amazing, and the endless quest lines are enough to keep anybody entertained for a LONG time. It's even better than it's predecessor in every way, and I have been glued to it for the past 3 days! ...However, my game on the ps3 begins to glitch up about an hour after playing. The frame-rate drops considerably, occasionally freezes, and the most irritating glitch is that everything starts flickering blue! It's kind of acceptable for me though, since restarting the system gets everything back to normal again. There are small things like this however that can really detract from this amazing game, and I wish that Bethesda had possibly spent a little time tweaking a few things...I mean, falling through solid rock isn't really normal...

Pandora Hearts: Vol 1
Pandora Hearts: Vol 1
by Jun Mochizuki

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes time to get into, but when you do...., 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Pandora Hearts: Vol 1 (Paperback)
Other people have done a blurb, so I won't bother. I found this manga about a year ago and i've been keeping up to date with the latest chapter releases and I am absolutely in love with the series, the characters, the art work, the story etc. The only downside to PH that I can think of is that, even though the beginning pretty much gets straight into the action it still doesn't grip you straight off the bat. I am not a massive manga reader, so considering that i've stuck with this for all the chapters shows that it really IS good xD

The first volume is the weakest one, as it's just the introduction to the story. The quality, contrary to many series, actually gets better as it goes along and the artwork gets more refined as Mochizuki develops her style. She has also managed to create a whole range of interesting characters that all have issues of their own, and it's nice to read a series that focusses on more than one or two characters. Obviously you have the main character, Oz, and while he is an intriguing character, he can't carry the storyline himself and the other characters (which there comes to be quite a few of) are all brilliantly crafted. You don't know everything about them right away, and nothing about them is black and white which makes them all interesting to follow.

The main storyline, which started out as: search for Alice's memories, gets diluted as the series progresses, and much less emphasis is put on this. Obviously it's still there, but many other (equally interesting things) happen that kinda become the new storyline. It's one of those stories where something happens and you think: "what was that about?" but then later on you end up realising why Mochizuki included a certain thing and you go: "Oh...so that's why..."

I would recommend this series to anyone, regardless if you're a manga fan or not, because i'm not a huge fan of it but I absolutely love this series to pieces, and if you stick with it until later on it gets majorly exciting!

Nokia N8 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Nokia N8 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Offered by Fone-Central

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone...crashes a lot though, 18 Jun. 2011
I loved my N8 and got it in January...but recently it just started crashing for no apparent reason and wouldn't let me turn it on again until a day later! =.= it's ridiculously inconvenient, and one time I had to plug it into my computer before it started working again. Next time it does it i'm demanding a repair/new one because it's so stupid that it crashes whenever you use the internet! The good things: it's nice looking and the camera is brilliant...that's all I use it for xD

Crescendo
Crescendo
by Becca Fitzpatrick

2.0 out of 5 stars I just got annoyed, 21 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Crescendo (Hardcover)
What the heck happened to Nora and Patch?! That was what I was thinking all the way through this book. After the whole ordeal at the end of Hush, Hush their relationship takes a massive downward turn out of pretty much nowhere. I found Nora completely irrational and annoying, and Patch seemed to have the most random mood swings and was also irrational. I couldn't understand either ones though processes throughout the entire book! Nora was constantly: "It's all his fault, I am better off without him...bla bla bla" Then she just completely reverts to: "I need him...sob sob...heart breaking." It's ridiculous! Patch doesn't help things; he's even more elusive than he was previously, and neither seems to even be thinking a way around the archangel situation.

I also hated Scott....a lot, and Vee, while sticking true to her character, just annoyed the heck out of me. Not to mention Marcie..... so overall this book made me want to throw it on the ground and stamp on it a few times...never mind the plot, when a book is filled to the brim with the most annoying characters, it just doesn't work for me.

Tangled (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010]
Tangled (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010]
Dvd ~ Mandy Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars The trailers really don't do it justice!, 8 Feb. 2011
Honestly, after watching the trailer for this movie I thought it didn't look like anything special, just a poor attempt by Disney for a comeback to their original greatness, but I was extremely surprised at how amazing this film turned out to be!

I absolutely loved it!! The characters are memorable and Rapunzel is probably the most outgoing princess Disney has done so far...her hair is awe inspiring when you think how much work that must have taken to create. Flynn is witty and charming and has some of the best dialogue in the film, and together I think that they make one of the best Disney duos. Then there are the non-talking (for a change) animals; Pascal and Maximus. They had me in stitches without having to say anything!

Overall this film has everything perfectly balanced: It is funny and moving in equal measure, and one scene in particular had my heart aching. The only downfall I would say is the music, while it is not bad in any sense, I doubt they'll be particularly remembered for years to come like 'circle of life' or ' a whole new world' but they are still very good, especially 'I see the light' and 'mother knows best'

Highly recommended!

When We Collide
When We Collide

4.0 out of 5 stars People are being really harsh...., 13 Dec. 2010
This review is from: When We Collide (MP3 Download)
I can understand people's frustration/anger about a perfectly good song being butchered on live television...especially on X factor (as I witnessed when Shane Ward completely destroyed Nickelbacks version of 'be somebody' while a guest singer on the X factor this year =.=) admittedly I am not a die hard Biffy fan, but I have heard the original and obviously it's better (as is the case with almost EVERY cover song) but really, Matt has a wonderful voice, he's worked really hard for this for like 17 years without a break and for him I believe the X factor was a last resort rather than his ideal choice to build his career and I believe he really deserves the no.1 this year. I could understand with the whole 'the climb' business last year (awful song choice) but I wanted Matt to win it from the start and I hope he does well.

p.s no doubt Biffy is going to get money from this to, so he won't be complaining too much as well as promoting his song to the world xD

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince [DVD]
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Focussed too much on angst =.=, 4 Dec. 2010
As a reader of the HP books I was quite disappointed with this movie and how it was adapted from the book. I felt that too much focus was put on the 'teenage love problems/angst' of the characters rather than the main plot line! I mean, I know that there is romantic things in the book, but it didn't take total precedence...there was more important things happening to! Considering the title 'Half-Blood Prince' I felt that little was actually included in the film about it. I was also annoyed that they cut the entire fight scene at the end. I heard that this was because they didn't want to seem repetitive when DH part 2 comes out, but still...it makes it unrealistic for the death eaters to just take the castle so easily.

Having said that, I did find the film enjoyable when I just turned my mind off and didn't think about what was missing etc. so yeah, enjoyable, but by no means a perfect adaption.

Lies (Gone)
Lies (Gone)
by Michael Grant

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Very Good!, 2 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Lies (Gone) (Hardcover)
I love this series, and it makes you think about what life would be like if this actually happened! The characters are all believable and each have their own problems to contend with, though in this book there was a lot of changing point of view so I sometimes lost track if I hadn't read about a certain character in a while xD I found it surprising that, even though Sam is the main character, this book didn't follow him as much as the other did. Instead I feel like this book balances out between all the characters, not just Sam, but I guess this was to emphasise that he wasn't really himself, and things start to fall apart :/ You really feel sorry for the characters and in touch with them, for me I felt bad for both Mary and Diana especially, since they have a rough time of it in this book. At the same time you really hate some of the characters, like Zil and Caine (though I enjoy reading about them the most xD). The main thing is, I never felt like skipping a chapter or a boring block of text...it was all good, gripping stuff :)

There are plenty of cliffhangers and the content is super, so I highly recommend you read this if you haven't already ;)

Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
by Suzanne Collins

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first 2...this not so much, 5 Sept. 2010
First thing I can say about this book is that I found the pacing uneven. What I mean is that the previous 2 books had a pretty steady storytelling pace, and while the action was fast and furious you could still picture it all and understand everything, and even when there was no action the story moved along at a nice pace that kept you hooked. I found in Mockingjay that it was incredibly slow getting going, and I found myself skim reading massive paragraphs of text that didn't interest me in the slightest and were, quite frankly, un needed, then towards in the last 100 pages or so there is so much going on that your brain is like o.O what is going on!? It just seemed like one jumbled mess! Why have nothing happen then everything happen at once? I didn't like the feel of this book...it wasn't Katniss' story anymore, it was just all about the events happening around her with her chucked in the middle of it, and since it's all from her point of view we don't really get the big picture. Everything seemed 'too easy' as well... in terms of the rebellion against the capitol, they build it up and then there is no climax!

I disliked Katniss in this book, which is odd because I liked her in the previous 2. She seems like she's not making her own decisions and is little more than a puppet, she's cold towards both Peeta and Gale even though they really didn't do much to deserve it, and she's generally drugged up/hospitalised for the majority of the book -.-. To be honest...she seems pretty pitiable and pathetic, I want the Katniss I know back! Peeta was absent for half the book, and then when he was present, he wasn't himself (well none of the characters are to be honest) and I really don't think he participated an awful lot in the story. Gale was completely butchered in this book and made to seem like a cruel person and Katniss and him grow pretty distant during the book. Also I found it stupid how Katniss goes: "I can't do this without Gale by my side." or something like that, then she spends the whole time hating on him! She's also a giant hypocrite..."Gale you can't just kill everyone!" later on she kills tons of people..I mean what?! xD It made me angry how OOC everyone was >.<

Personally, I thought that too many new characters were introduced all at once with really no intro to them at all. When someone spoke I was like...wait, who are you? and when some people died I was like...-.- seriously is that it?! It was so fast paced your brain didn't have time to register their deaths. Literally a sentence is dedicated to each death/into of a character xD The worst thing was, I really didn't care what was happening anymore. I know that everyone is like: "this book made me cry/this book is sooo depressing' or whatever, but I just didn't care if it was anymore xD The ending was possible one of the worst endings I have ever read and wasn't closure I was hoping for. The thing that irked me the most was how some characters were just completely removed from existence and forgotten by Katniss in one sentence. They deserved more of a send off then a lame sentence that made them seem like some total stranger to Katniss.

So yeah, I really was disappointed with this book. Give it a go by all means cause I know loads of people enjoyed this book, but on the whole I found it pretty boring and a great jumbled mess which I am very sad about :(
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2010 6:56 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3