Profile for H. M. Kingston > Reviews

Content by H. M. Kingston

H. M. Kingston "gooner" (Worksop, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Brand New Original Toshiba PA3468E-1AC3 Laptop Adapter 19V 3.95A 75W Notebook Ac Adapter Charger Power Supply + UK Power Cord

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 29 May 2016
It did just what we wanted i.e. got our laptop back working.

1606: William Shakespeare and the Year of Lear
1606: William Shakespeare and the Year of Lear

3.0 out of 5 stars Looked forward to reading this but rather disappointed., 12 May 2016
I foind this book harder to get through than James Shapiro's earlier '1599'. I admired the research and the erudition but, frankly, I got bored. To put my criticism in context I have, for example, seen productions of Lear by the RSC and the National Theatre, plus studying the play as part of my degree. Enjoyed all these but sadly not this book.

Barchester Towers
Barchester Towers

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Obadiah kept me going., 24 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Barchester Towers (Kindle Edition)
If it wasn't of Obadiah Slope and Mrs Proudie I think I would have given up.

The Edge of the World: How the North Sea Made Us Who We Are
The Edge of the World: How the North Sea Made Us Who We Are
by Michael Pye

4.0 out of 5 stars Great subject, great research and very readable., 4 Nov. 2015
What a lot of research the author must have done: the archives and specialist magazine and papers he must have trawled through. What is more remarkable is that the book is not a dry academic tome but very readable. Opening the index at random and there's such variables as 'Rus(Vikings in East)', 'Skye, Isle of: Arab coins found', 'sex', 'Teutonic knights', and 'Towns: coastal', etc

Except for the chapter on writing the law, I found it very interesting.

Journey To Italy
Journey To Italy
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 10 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Journey To Italy (DVD)
On many different levels I found this film hard to engage with. The script was stilted (even by the standards of the 1950's which I lived through) as well as the acting, surprising because Ingrid Bergman usually can grab me by the hearstrings.

Having been to the area around Naples the scenery aspect of the film wasn't a major plus.

When I saw the director was Rossellini I was expecting greater things. Sorry. Emperor's new clothes?

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 6 Sept. 2015
I was bored both by Cathy and the novel as a whole. I felt that the author was on a bandwagon with the theme.

The Innocent
The Innocent
by Ian McEwan

3.0 out of 5 stars The novel I'd read previously on a library loan and it's an excellent Ian McEwan with twists that were unexpected, 5 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Innocent (Paperback)
The main reason I didn't rate this higher was that it didn't have the front cover (Brandenburg Gate) as advertised. My daughter and I had recently returned from a trip to Berlin and as the book was being posted direct to her she would have been more interested in it on opening the parcel instead of being puzzled.

The novel I'd read previously on a library loan and it's an excellent Ian McEwan with twists that were unexpected.

Le Grand Meaulnes (French Edition)
Le Grand Meaulnes (French Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars I was over-ambitious, 13 Aug. 2015
So many decades since I read this at school. The atmosphere of the novel stayed with me but unfortunately my French vocabularly did not and so I couldn't get a real flow of reading going: I preferred checking words in my French disctionary than highlighting words on my Kindle edition (getting the definitions in French of course). I might try the novel again in its English translation. Shame really.

Draper Expert 20636 Stainless Steel Weeding Fork with Intermediate Length Ash Handle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not topnotch, 11 July 2015
Size correct ?ut metal too thin. (apologies -ke//oard pro/lems)

The Chambers Dictionary (13th Edition)
The Chambers Dictionary (13th Edition)
by Chambers (Ed.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't be without it., 10 Jun. 2015
The biggest tribute to this latest edition is that we had the previous one and so pleased with it, the quality of the production besides the content, that we thought it worthwhile to pay for the latest 13th edition. The 12th was starting to fall to bits.

Well done Chambers!