Profile for Ben Lawton > Reviews

Content by Ben Lawton

Ben Lawton

Old Man's War
Old Man's War

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like your sci-fi, read this book, its brilliant!, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Old Man's War (Kindle Edition)
With a good mix of tech, aliens, military, humour and a really original premise for a book, this is an excellent read. In my opinion, on a par with The Forever War. Scalzi paints a melancholy view of the future universe, with great detail and believable tech, its a must read for any sic-fi fan. One of the best books I've read!

Arena: Champion (Part Five of the Roman Arena Series)
Arena: Champion (Part Five of the Roman Arena Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Scarrow, you are brilliant!!, 23 Aug 2013
I so loved this book, this series! I couldn't wait to read each part as it came out. Having read all of the Eagle series I was thoroughly entertained. It was such a page turner that i found it hard to put down. Including Macro into the series is a nice nod and wink to the Eagle series, and it leaves you wanting more Roman brilliance from Mr Scarrow! Also, it's an interesting way of delivering a book, in short parts.

The Dig (Matt Turner Series Book 1)
The Dig (Matt Turner Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting idea., 23 Aug 2013
I read this book with an open mind. I enjoyed it because I really liked the idea that's central to the book. However, it just lacked a bit of a killer instinct at the end, it fell a bit flat and fizzled out. I have an archaeology degree and so it interested me from the start, but a little more attention to finishing the story would have made this into a great read. It'll be interesting to read more of the Matt Turner series.

The Valhalla Call (On Silver Wings Book 4)
The Valhalla Call (On Silver Wings Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars I want another book in the series!, 23 Aug 2013
I absolutely loved this book and the whole series. For me, there was everything that I would be looking for in a great sc-fi story: action, tech, aliens, snappy dialogue and a pace to the story just kept you reading far to late in the evening.

The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War Book 2)
The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 23 Aug 2013
Not asa good as Old Man's war, but still very enjoyable. And, without any spoilers, I felt a very touching ending.