Profile for Jamie > Reviews

Content by Jamie

Jamie

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor effort., 14 Nov 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Being a fan of COD since it was first on the original Xbox, naturally, I decided to get this game. Before purchasing I did have my doubts, footage from E3 and COD EXP didn't seem to show anything 'breath-taking' or 'awe-inspiring' but this didn't bother me too much, my main hope was that instead of headline grabbing, drastic changes they had sorted out the basic problems that have been creeping into the COD series of late. To put it simply they haven't.

The online seems like a map pack for MW2 (as others have pointed out) and it feels like a definite step back to Black Ops. I have never really understood the whole IW against Treyarch as I enjoy games by both and found it saddening to see IW shun some really positive changes Black Ops had made. The leaderboards are far inferior to those offered by Black Ops - which named and shamed the K/D hungry, objective ignorant noobs, last stand kill stealing has returned, no longer can you select a local region to prioritise a host from amongst other things. This last point is a real problem, too often in games I find myself shooting people first yet dying for reasons I cannot understand, that is of course until I watch the kill cam to realise on his screen I wasn't even shooting! Connection is too much of an issue and my score tends to depend on what sort of connection I have, which looses the fun factor for me, I'd much prefer a game based of of skill to that of one of who has the best internet. The maps too are very dissapointing, not one of them after playing for 10+ hours can I genuinely say that I like. There are just too many little places to hide and this means campers are having a field day. Combined with the ease of aquiring kill streaks as now even a mediocre player over the course of a game can build up a high streak as support streaks don't reset on death, meaning that killstreaks are just too common, and take away from the gun on gun action, I for one miss the days of COD4/WaW with the good old 3,5 and 7 :(

The campain was actually, I thought, good. I found the story to be fairly entertaining ( if completely unrealistic) but I enjoyed it and that's what counts. True there are no new features at all to mention, just walk through a linear map as it gradually gets more frantic and difficult but the story and some impressive cinematics make it worth it. It's worth mentioning that it only took 6 hours to complete on Veteran and is very short but unfortunately that is part and parcel of FPS games now a days.

As for SPEC OPS, I rarely touched it. It seemed again like just new maps from what was offered in MW2 which would of been justifiable, had they made it 4 player like zombies, 2 players is just too few and I coul never play with fiends as it would always leave people out which was unfair.

Overall, this is just a very lazy effort from IW and Activision too desperate for profit as oppossed to creating a game that strives to make improvements on the previous ones. IF you are a COD fanboy then you will already have this, if you aren't however, I would recommend staying away. This seems to me like the beginning of the end for COD, I will be avoiding future CODs after this and know that I am not alone and feel if nothing new and refreshing is done, this once great series is going to be left behind in the FPS market and will be no more.

Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear...., 28 Oct 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Not one to usually give reviews but, unfortunately, the issues with this game are so outrageous that I decided to make an exception. Firstly, as others have already mentioned, the terms and conditions seem to state that EA can basically see what you get up to on your own PC by installing what may as well be spy-ware. I find this to be very intrusive and a breach of personal privacy. What is even more worrying is that EA have been allowed to do such a thing! Furthermore, the fact that Origin has to be installed to play I also feel is unfair and very anti-competitive, how long before Origin is the only source of games and you have to pay the price EA sets through the Origin store to get this game?!

Despite the issues mentioned above, I wasn't aware of these until I had already installed the game and that leads on to the next problem - in my case it is completely unplayable! After successfully installing the game twice (as it wasn't working I uninstalled and reinstalled yet achieved nothing)and a PC capable of running the game, I have yet to experience any of this game. I have been unable to connect to any server for multiplayer or even play single player as both of these options are launched through a web based system which seems to be suffering from many problems, in my case the game launcher gets stuck on initialising and in effect freezing the launcher). Having looked through the forums on said system, I am not alone with my issues. The forums are flooded with angry gamers like myself, who have been unable to play this game in any capacity. To add insult to injury, EA and DICE haven't even seemed to acknowledge the problem and have offered no solutions themselves, at least that I could find and I have been trying to sort this for 3 hours as I type this, as well as joing a petition on the forums demanding EA/DICE to acknowledge these problems - bear in mind the game has been out since Monday in the US and many people there are still on the forums with problems as well.

Uterly disgusting behaviour on their part. Instead of spending the fortune they did on advertising and songs by Jay-z, perhaps they shoudld of spent that money on trying to develop and release a quality product! Cannot express how angry I am and have uninstalled Battlefield and Origin and will avoid at it at all costs in the future, it is time EA realised that we, the consumer, deserve to be treated with some respect!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2012 11:54 PM BST