Profile for Henri > Reviews

Content by Henri

Henri

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library)
Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book; with some notes about Kindle version, 7 Dec. 2012
The content is very informative , easy to read; I really enjoy reading the book it has a logical structure not found in other similar books.It is a must buy for those who want to learn programming even without any previous programming experience. Well written and explained. However wait for the book and buy the book, at least I prefer the book rather than digital option.
There is also a website, classroom.com which you can use for your learning process.

as a separate subject:
Here is my view about Kindle, the version of the book that I purchased.

Here is what you get or do not get with Kindle.

-You cannot print anything from it ( this is technical book and we need to get printout of some page)
-You cannot cut and paste. e.g if there is a code there and you want to cut and paste into your IDE, or if you want to put some text on your notepad; it does not have any option for it
-It appears that you do not own the (kindle)book if you buy Kindle version, you are sort of renting it.

However there are many positive aspects of Kindle, like... when you read the book from different media, it can take you to the last page you read.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2012 7:43 PM GMT

Mastering VMware VSphere 5
Mastering VMware VSphere 5
by Scott Lowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehenseive and easy to read (but No CD), 6 Dec. 2012
I am reading this book while preparing my test lab.
Excellent book. Preparing the test lab is the part that makes you involved and reading this book gives you the knowledge of;
How the system works => then in parallel while you go to specific chapters you will build your own test environment.
Perhaps the part which needs another book is how SAN, FC works; which a book I am looking for with some practical and in-depth examples. Not sure if this book covers it, but it does not have to since it is a different subject.

The only negative point is the lack of CD, which means no pdf, eBook, etc...

Seagate ST31000524AS 3.5 inch Barracuda 1TB GB 7200rpm SATA Drive with 32MB Buffer

3.0 out of 5 stars No problem, but cannot find any..., 2 Dec. 2012
specification for this drive on Seagate website? Seek time, latency,...The data sheets exists for other models but somehow does not exist for this drive. Only general 32MB, 7200RPM,1TB and size...
It is annoying since you cannot compare with other drives, even with Seagate's own.
Not sure why?

Vent Axia Kitchen Extractor Fan for 6" Ducting. Model Number 436533 - BASL150SLB
Offered by MCD Electrical - Established 1993

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this item; but for seller 5 star, 29 Nov. 2012
Please read the following paragraph for product review. It could be a faulty product or design issue. Nevertheless seller was very helpful and accepted refund, replacement and recommended another item. Nevertheless I keep the installed product.

After using for a day, fan started to make abnormal noise. Fortunately it is kitchen fan, I looked at the back and thought it is the back cover which stops in flow.
I removed the back cover. I started the fan and it worked so smoothly I could not believe how silence it is. Then I realized the plastic fan blade was detached and dropped. The connection to the motor is so flimsy that it easily disconnect. I will return it, since even another one has the same issue the connection of fan blade to motor is a soft plastic assembly which is a design fault

Extractors fan is not a complicated equipment. What makes a difference is build.
Unfortunateley I have only cons;
1-The previous one i bought for bathroon, the front screw is experiencing corrosion and became red and yellow around it, very ugly and unprofessional.
2-This one, for kitchen, the cover/windows behind it, where it should protect it from in-flow is loose and the spings are so weak that it flaps all the time.
3-no cable, wire,...
4-no screws for simple connection

I though vent-axia was a quality to rely on. After buying two of them, one for bathroom and one for kitchen; I am stuck with them. Not recommended at all.

ION iPics 2 Go Photo, Slide and Negative Scanner for iPhone 4 and 4S
ION iPics 2 Go Photo, Slide and Negative Scanner for iPhone 4 and 4S
Offered by No1Brands4You

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Practical, do not waste your money, 26 Nov. 2012
that is all. Initially i ordered to create a digital library of my slides. After creating 2, i gave up using it. It takes lots of efort, and the built is very cheap and takes ages to create file, and there is no control over quality, hit and miss...not receommended.

GBR2851T Freeview HD Digital Receiver with BBC iPlayer
GBR2851T Freeview HD Digital Receiver with BBC iPlayer

1.0 out of 5 stars easy to install but regular fading sound, 21 Nov. 2012
This is what I added after using it for a week.
When I watch a program, every 5 to 10 minutes, the sound disappears for 10 to 15 seconds. Very annoying. I Will return it if it happens again.

I did not do anything special, just connected it to HD ready TV and it was installed within 2 minutes. I checked BBCs HD and could see the difference.
Very fast delivery, too; thanks.

There are some good options which I have to learn what some do,

it has modem connection, Network connection( RJ45), and Surround system connection. Also USB connection.

Not sure what the network pard and USB can do. Manual has a brief pass for Network; depicting getting network services.

iiyama X2377HDS ProLite 23 inch Full HD LCD Monitor with LED Backlight (1920 x1080, 1000:1, 5ms, 250cd/m2)

4.0 out of 5 stars PLX2377HDS vs GoodmansLD2271D, Revised, 20 Nov. 2012
I have Nvidia GT620, i5 PC.
I tried three monitors;

1-an old Sony Monitor, not used in this test; only for its Audio. its Audio Much better than iyyama!
2-Connecting my Goodmans TV LD2271D TV( two to three years old HD ready, not available anymore so this is not an advert;)), connecting as Monitor, connected by analogue cable. Candela/m² 300

3-Connecting PLX2377HDS. ( connected by digital connections, DVI and HDMI)Candela/m², 250!

I am not a gamer! My tests are based on my and my colleague's general, hopefully objective, not trained eyes. And some Technical specification comparison.

-The first experience. iiyama only gives you proper( not blurry) image when it is on max resolution, 1920x1080. Other settings are not acceptable for it. even Texts are blurry.

-Unlike what it is written for iiyama spec, perhaps misleading, the refresh rate for 1920x1080 is 59 and 60Hz only.
-iYaama and Goodmans both only have 60 Hz for this resolution; but only for lower spec, e.g. 1024x768; both has 75Hz option.
-I found the Goodmans more natural in colours when showing BBC clips.
-Text on both are nearly the same.
-The brightness in iiyams and colours are (a bit) better; not overwhelming. You can tell a tiny difference when look at both monitors art once.

My conclusion: if you have a mid-range 22 inch Digital TV, it could be practically as good as iiyama. IPS for what I see in this monitor does not make any difference.

I had to compare it with something and I thought my TV, while it is connected to PC is my best choice; and I was not that impressed with iiyama when compared with a two or three years old TV.
Perhaps if you are a gamer you see difference, waiting to see the review.... But for me the only reason I do not return it is because I need my old Goodmans TV as TV only.

this is written a day after using:
I forgot to write about its pros:
-The screen of monitor can be adjusted; so it is adjustable
-It looks solid( for standard use)
-Looks very bright and vivid; perhaps anything more than 25Hz is good enough and 60Hz is adequate
-the frame's colour is good and looks simple and stylish.
-for the price, being IPS it should be a good buy,

-I connected MacBook mid 2009; Mini-DVI to VGA( not HDMI) and the end result was very good. Around 80-90% as good as the 13inch monitor. Not that much noticeable, unless you look into small details with critical view. For me it is good as a second monitor for Mac; my old Sony failed comprehensively! I will try with Mini-DVI to HDMI, when I get the cable.

Training Kit (Exam 70-462): Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases
Training Kit (Exam 70-462): Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases
by Orin Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars I know it is not fair; revised, 5 Nov. 2012
I am near the end of the book. I should admit that it is a good book! it gives you what you need to make the best of the information available. It cannot give everything ready made, and that perhaps makes the reader to think more; and there are good references to topics that you may need in details which it may make the book a reference book, too.

Do not let the beginning of the book put you off. It will ask you to create 4 virtual servers, one of them core.
They are not really needed, apart from core, which even core is not needed. Nevertheless it forced me to learn more about core OS setting up; e.g. static IP, powershell,, renaming,...which is not covered in the book.

Nevertheless i found the book, after nearly finishing it, which i seldom do if am not intending to do exam, very informative; not only related to SQL server but also the server performance related monitoring tasks.

....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2012 12:13 PM GMT

Powershell in Practice
Powershell in Practice
by Richard Siddaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery delivery anda good book, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Powershell in Practice (Paperback)
Took two days to be delivered( paying extra for fast delivery).
I have read part of the book before; a good introduction to Powershell; although it is mostly Powershell v1. Nevertheless it has refrences to V2. Good all around.

Kingston Technology 8GB DDR3 1066MHz Apple Compatible Memory (for iMac units from 2009)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Macbook mid 2009, 20 Oct. 2012
The star rating does not really mean anything relating to product. Kingston is a well know memory supplier.
However when I opened my Macbook mid 2009, I realized the memory modules are different. The notch on my Machbook's memory module is more near to side than the one I was sent. I will contact the supplier, to return and hopefully get the proper one. This is for those who may have the same Macbook as I have.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2013 4:51 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4