Profile for perceive > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
After
After

5.0 out of 5 stars More great work from Ihsahn, 31 Oct. 2010
This review is from: After (Audio CD)
I have listened to this album a few times already and I have to say I am very impressed. It is similiar enough to Ihsahn's previous work that there will be no doubting who is behind the album.
As you would expect, the songs go from fast and furious, to mild and melodic many times throughout the songs. There is a sense of refinement to all these changes in dynamic that is rarely achieved by a one songwriter group, but it is done very successfully here.
The production is very very good, with all the instruments and vocals sound very good, and balanced well in the final mix.
As has been mentioned in other reviews there are few keys on this album, the saxophone being much more prominent. I originally read this and was worried but it has been done very well, being somewhat outstanding in spots, for instance "On the Shores" would not have anywhere near the same feel without it.

Ihsahn manages to mix the progressive and the extreme very well, without going overboard or seeming forced in any way at all, indeed if anything, he is mixing the progressive albums in better than ever.
The songs are not too long for progressive standard, most being between 4-6 minutes, although there are two ten minute "epics".
My highlight song changes dramatically at this moment, but right now I put "On the Shore" right up there, although almost any other track could be considered my favourite depending on my mood.. I may update this segment in the future as I learn the nuances of each song more thoroughly with repeated listens..
I can't see anything knocking this out of my top 10 albums for the year...

As for the extra's DVD, they are interesting, seeing the recording process etc. Quite insightful... But, having said that, I won't view it more than a few times, being much more inclined to throw the CD on and listen to that instead..

The Beatles Box Set - Remastered in Stereo
The Beatles Box Set - Remastered in Stereo

4.0 out of 5 stars A mirror to my mono review..., 10 April 2010
This is a mirror of my review on the mono version of this release, now that I have had time to go through both. It is less a review of the albums themselves, rather, which boxed set is best, particularly if you only can afford one, or even just don't want two copies of something that is almost, bot not quite the same.

Musically (pulled from the mono review):
The the music is amazingly, almost insidiously brilliant is beyond doubt. The sheer amount of songs on all of these albums that are recognizable is beyond doubt. The Beatles influence on modern music cannot, in my estimation, be underrated.
All of the albums have remarkable musical strengths.
On the stereo release, my favourite albums are Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour and the White album, which were all recorded with a bit more of a nod towards stereo imaging.

Boxed set specific (again some of this was pasted from my mono review, as appropriate)
The downside...
Nothing to do with the actual music, but rather, the apparent greed of the label. For the vast majority of the Beatles albums sound better on the mono release.
The latter albums sound better in stereo, and, the mono version does not contain the later releases that were stereo only (Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let it Be, also the videos).
So you have three choices:
1) Buy the mono, and if you want the latter albums, buy them separately. Considering the mono version is more expensive to start with this is a frustrating option.
2) Buy the stereo version. You get all the albums, and thus some sense of completeness, with this method. But not all, or even the majority are in their optimal format.
3) Buy both. Maybe the only way to make sure you get your preferred version of each album. The obvious annoyance, is cost. And who really wants to buy two boxed sets for completeness sake, apart from those like me who want both optimal and completeness. It does annoy me that to get this I needed to have so much space taken up, but, such is life.

Comparatively, my review is not as good as many of the others here, that is obvious, but as a mainly metal fan I still have to admit to this bands genius and believe most collections are replete without at least one of these re-releases. It's just a shame about the purchasing options..
As per my mono boxed set review, it is a shame that the releases have come out like this, but I have to recommend this stereo boxed set over the mono, especially if you only wish to own one of the boxed sets for whatever reason you have.

The Beatles In Mono
The Beatles In Mono

4.0 out of 5 stars amazing release, not sure about the marketing, 6 April 2010
This review is from: The Beatles In Mono (Audio CD)
So if it is simply amazing why only four stars? I guess that is because of the conundrum surrounding the Beatles re-releases.
All of the albums have remarkable musical strengths. In this mono re-release my standout three would be Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt Peppers.
So the downside.
The downside...
So you have three choices:

Comparatively, my review is not as good, nor anywhere as extensive as many of the others here, that is obvious, but as a mainly metal fan I still have to admit to this bands genius and believe most collections are replete without at least one of these re-releases. It's just a shame about the purchasing options..
If you do a review of many of the 4 star reviews you will see a lot of comments along the same line.
I also want to be absolutely clear here. My review is based on this is a product. Not just the music. I wish I could have separate reviews for them both but I cannot - in fact it would be very handy for the Amazon system to have review sections with something along the lines of Music/Packaging/etc with the overall rating out of that being used as the main score. I also wish there was some way to have a review of both albums combined in the amazon system but that is not possible.
As per my stereo boxed set review, it is a shame that the releases have come out like this, but I have to recommend the stereo boxed set over this mono as a product, especially if you only wish to own one of the boxed sets for whatever reason you have, although if you are a completist or a purist (I may be both to my wallets distress) then buy both.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2010 11:47 PM BST