Profile for J. Arnold > Reviews

Content by J. Arnold

J. Arnold "@JezArnold" (Worcester, UK)

The End of the World Running Club
The End of the World Running Club

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful .. a great British Post Apocalyptic read, 24 Oct 2014
I don't know where I got my want for all things post-apocalyptic, but I've been flying through all sorts of books from the past few decades all on this theme. My love for science fiction and the human spirit make me want to pick up another story and see what these people will do to survive.

However, The End of the World Running Club really connected with me. Not a virus that wipes out 99% of the population but as described during the story, 'we are a lump of rock and water flying through space, eventually we're gonna collide with something' . So when tens of thousands of meteors break through the Earths atmosphere, and pretty much stop the Northern hemisphere from functioning; we follow Ed and how he looks after his family, starting in Edinburgh, and after they get the helicopters down to Cornwall, how five of them just start running to Cornwall through a broken UK.

As a father of two young children, and feeling a lot like Ed does at times, it really made me think about things. I really enjoyed reading this.

Highly recommended 5*

The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win

5.0 out of 5 stars must read for anyone wanting to understand what IT are doing, 19 Dec 2013
This was on a list of must read IT books of 2013. As a salesmen for an IT Vendor, coming from a technical background, I was hoping I'd get a novel about the problems IT departments face and how to spot some opportunities. What I got far exceeded this!!

Read this in a couple of days, it doesn't just focus on IT but the business , and the CRITICAL role IT plays today.

Strengthsfinder 2.0: A New and Upgraded Edition of the Online Test from Gallup's Now Discover Your Strengths
by Tom Rath

5.0 out of 5 stars My strengths = my current job !!, 31 Mar 2012
So I saw this book recommended on the company intranet, and a lot of senior colleagues were giving it some great feedback. I thought, for a tenner I can't really go wrong. Arrived this morning, and quite quickly got on to the online test.

Some of the questions were thought provoking. In fact, I was so busy thinking about them, that it skipped and moved on to the next question!! At first I was a little peeved, but continued none the less... Finished, and a few moments later it came back with my strengths.

Quite simply.. Amazed. Yes, it's traits I absolutely recognise in myself, but some of them I actually thought were a weakness. For instance, my #1 strength was INPUT, and #2 was LEARNER. Reading what this meant showed me my obsession with constantly finding out things can be put to good use.

I'm an IT consultant by trade,and feel I'm pretty good at my job, but I thought perhaps it may be getting stale, and perhaps I should move into sales or even management. This basically told me to stick at my role, just look towards areas where you can move onwards and upwards, such as product development or even industry thinker positions.

So ive just popped back into amazon, to buy a second copy for my partner, so she can learn her own strengths.

Highly recommended.

How to Make a Journal of Your Life
How to Make a Journal of Your Life
by Dan Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep it simple stupid.. a journal that is!, 1 Jan 2009
The first of January 2009, and its a time for New Year Resolutions. For the last three years, I have committed myself to keep a life journal, but always failed. You need to keep it simple. Don't overcomplicate it.

This book, really helps you learn how to keep a great journal without making it seem that much of an effort. For 2009, I am combining it with my love of Moleskines. I have the Moleskine 2009 Weekly Pocket Notebook and it has a weekly diary on one side, and space for comments on the other. That space is for notes and drawings on my week.

This book helps you fill that gap, so you can look back on life in your old age and contemplate what you have done with it. If you have kids, you could always hand it down to them...

Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360)
Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by SelectGames

4.0 out of 5 stars huge game area.., 23 Nov 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Brilliant game! At first it seems to be a little clunky, and had I written this review after 30 minutes gameplay, it may only have got 3 stars. But after several days, I really enjoy it!

Western Digital My Book  Essential 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin.., 2 April 2008
Its really quite simple. Receive a 500Gb Western Digital MyBook from Amazon. Plug it in to a USB port.. Quick format the drive.

At this point I then divided my drive into two. One for backups, and one for my media. You don't need too if you don't want to.

Then just leave it.. Don't bother with all the software. At the end of the day, you are going to be using it to store files you dont need instant access too.