Profile for Dr. R. Goel > Reviews

Content by Dr. R. Goel

Dr. R. Goel (Chislehurst, UK)

The Fat Duck Cookbook
The Fat Duck Cookbook
by Heston Blumenthal
Price: 26.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me feel like a kid in a sweet shop!, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Fat Duck Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have always been fascinated with the story of Heston Blumenthal and The Fat Duck. He's always struck me as the Willy Wonka of the Cookery world. This book is great fun and as a cookbook - revolutionary. I think the most fun is to be had in reading how the recipes are made. It feels like a magician letting you into an inner magic circle. One can easily appreciate the hard work that goes into inventing and refining the foods shown and the book quality also reflects this. It's a wonderful tome with some of the most inspiring pictures of food presentation I have ever seen.

Other reviews have mentioned that one would need very expensive kitchen equipment to make some of these recipes, however, I think the main limiting factor is the unusual ingredients and the great time needed to make most of the dishes.

I thoroughly recommend this amazing book. Even if you don't get to make any of the recipes, I can guarantee you will feel inspired to try something different in your cooking, especially a taste for theatric presentation.

Almost an Evening
Almost an Evening
by Ethan Coen
Price: 7.71

3.0 out of 5 stars Indeed... not quite full, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: Almost an Evening (Paperback)
I love the Coen Brothers. I think they're two of the greatest filmmakers around today who have had an almost perfect run of movies. This book is written by one half of those siblings - Ethan Coen. I found his collection of short stories to be tremendous fun and you could imagine many of them being expanded into great feature films. His latest collection of 3 plays which were all perfomed in 1 evening, unfortuately left me wanting more. The first play, 'Waiting' is a great riff on Sartre's 'No Exit' with a man trapped in purgatory. I won't go into more detail as I don't want to ruin the stories. I got the sincere feeling whilst reading these plays that it is particularly important to see them on stage. They don't read that great on the page especially as there is a lot of physical humour in the descriptions.
All in all, I enjoyed the short plays which were exceptionally quick to read (the book itself is tiny - approximately 80 pages long). I do feel they lacked in substance and weren't quite as funny as they should have been. Worth a quick look if you're a great Coen fan though.