Profile for RoboScorpion > Reviews

Colgate 400ml Fluorigard Alcohol Free Mouth Rinse
Colgate 400ml Fluorigard Alcohol Free Mouth Rinse
Offered by Dental Direct UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, 1 Mar. 2014
I bought this for a while as my dentist recommended I use a fluoride rinse. Then I discovered Boots' own brand mouthwashes actually have a slightly higher fluoride concentration (0.055%) and are WAY cheaper...

Satechi Soundfly SD WMA/MP3 Player Car Fm Transmitter for SD Card, USB Stick, Mp3 Players (iPod, Zune)
Offered by SATECHI

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little device, 6 Jun. 2011
I bought one of these on the back of good reviews I'd read on amazon.com. I wasn't expecting great things, but after a few weeks of use, I can say that I'm impressed.

First off, I have only been using it with the output from my MP3 player, so I can't comment on using the device as a player (USB device/SD card). I think it's worth mentioning that you need a decent MP3 player. I started off using it with a Sandisk Sansa Clip, which is a good unit in itself, but doesn't have a very high output from its headphone socket. I found that I need the Sansa Clip and the Soundfly turned up to max and even then the volume wasn't that great.

Once I started using an iPod Touch, the Soundfly really came into its own, as the iPod puts out more power. Coupled to this, it's really worth doing some research into what FM frequencies are not used anywhere in the UK (or your country). This helps avoid bleed-over from nearby FM radio stations. I found several alternatives: I use 94.7 which is perfectly fine - no interference whatsoever from outside sources!

I did experience a problem with the device, but an e-mail to the support guys brought a replacement unit to my door within a few days with no quibbling! That's the sort of support I like...

So in a nutshell - buy one!

Daffodil 06M Micro Bluetooth USB Dongle - Supports Windows Vista / XP / 7
Daffodil 06M Micro Bluetooth USB Dongle - Supports Windows Vista / XP / 7
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Works - couldn't be easier!, 8 Jan. 2010
Worked brilliantly. I have WinXP; I just plugged it in, waited a moment or two for the drivers to install themselves and bingo!

Sandisk 8GB Sansa Clip MP3 Player with Radio -  Silver
Sandisk 8GB Sansa Clip MP3 Player with Radio - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 31 July 2009
I won't bother entering loads of text because I doubt I could add much to what's already been said.

Suffice it to say I am very happy with mine - easy to use yet has all the functions I need.

Great value and highly recommended!

Looket G8 3.5" GPS With UK and Ireland Maps
Looket G8 3.5" GPS With UK and Ireland Maps

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't really cut it..., 13 July 2009
I've tried to like my Looket G8 - I really have tried... In my opinion, the unit only has a few real problems, but since they are some of the most important features of a SatNav, I don't think they are forgivable.

First off, you cannot enter a full destination postcode (as in AB1 2YZ). You can only enter the "AB1 2" part, then you have to select a road name and a house number (or 'Any'). But, you can't select a road name from a list of options; you have to enter the first two letters of the road name which, of course, you need to know in advance. This is fine if you know the road name, but I had to find a B&B in the Cotswolds recently and the road was unnamed. Result: had to navigate to the nearest known road name and find my way from there. (And if you have to look up the nearest road name on Google maps, you might has well not have a SatNav!)

Secondly, it really does appear to take you down some very odd routes to get to your chosen destination. On more than one occasion I have been directed down some minuscule country lanes and ended up simply getting the map out instead as I couldn't trust where I was being sent. (Perhaps if I had set my 'vehicle type' to a truck instead of a car it might have avoided these - maybe I'll test that theory one day.)

Thirdly, if you are in a hurry and actually set off before the G8 has calclutated your whole route, the unit gets confused and cannot work out the last few yards of the journey. I'm guessing this is because it calculates the route backwards (from the destination to the origin) and if the origin (i.e. your current position) in constantly changing, then it struggles. This isn't a one-off, this has happened to me a number of times.

Also, the mapping updates appear to be very few and far between - nothing since April '08. I guess this is what you get if you buy a SatNav from a very minor player in the market.

The unit has some good points - build quality is great; you get a neat PDA-type stylus; it operates as a music player and picture viewer (I've never tried this so can't comment on quality); the mapping function actually has some very neat features that are probably usually found on higher-spec SatNavs (for example, you can choose landscape or portrait orientation and left- or right-handed preference).

In the end, you get what you pay for and this is a cheap unit. However, if I was buying again, I would look for something dearer but better.

Black Sparkle Cabinet For Medium Size Plasma/ Lcd Tv
Black Sparkle Cabinet For Medium Size Plasma/ Lcd Tv

4.0 out of 5 stars A really nice cabinet, 27 Feb. 2009
This cabinet is simple to assemble and, once built, is very sturdy indeed. The black finish (the one that I bought) has a subtle sparkle effect to the surface, a little bit like a metallic paint finish on a car.
The only thing I'd warn about is the interior space - be sure that all the kit you have (or are ever likely to want) will fit inside. Interior height is only about 330mm (13") and there are limited options for shelf placement. Also this has quite small ventilation holes in the back so if you have kit that can run hot, you could be better off with an open/shelf-type stand.

BT Studio 1100 DECT Cordless Telephone - Silver
BT Studio 1100 DECT Cordless Telephone - Silver

1.0 out of 5 stars Just not good enough for the job, 27 Feb. 2009
I bought a set of these for my (slightly elderly) parents as the handsets had fairly large buttons and were a reasonable price. Then I felt guilty when I realised what a poor buy they were! I expect BT bought them in from Korea or wherever for about 5% of what they subsequently sell them for!

The battery life is pathetic - on a full charge, I found they were giving a paltry 16 minutes of talk time! My own Philips DECT phone has NEVER run out of juice, even in conversations going on over an hour!

My advice: avoid BT branded phones altogether and go for a make that's trusted in the electronics business.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2009 1:52 PM BST

Dummy
Dummy
Offered by The Music Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 21 July 2008
This review is from: Dummy (Audio CD)
Hmmm, how does one sum up this album in just a few words? Dark, mysterious, melodic, industrial, melancholic, desolate - any or all of these apply. Others have already waxed lyrical about the 'feel' of the album, but I think you really have to listen to it - all of it. Maybe even a few times, as it took a few listens for me to really 'get it'.
As soon as I did 'get it' I totally loved it, and it remains one of the most frequently played albums in my collection even after nearly 15 years.
Never bettered or even equalled by Portishead since in my opinion.

Sony Blu-ray Disc Remote Control (PS3)
Sony Blu-ray Disc Remote Control (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's meant to do!, 24 April 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Great - and pretty much essential kit if you use your PS3 for watching lots of DVD/Blu-Ray discs.

I like the solid, tactile feel to it - matches the PS3's quality nicely.

OK, so it hasn't got a light, and it needs pairing with your PS3 - so what? It's less than 20 quid and does exactly what it's supposed to do!

The Secret History of Ancient Egypt
The Secret History of Ancient Egypt
by Herbie Brennan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Some intriguing content but ultimately an awful lot of old tosh!, 16 Aug. 2007
I have a couple of problems with this book. I think the author jumps to a number of startling conclusions based on at best flimsy evidence and at worst simple supposition. While I am firmly of the belief that the ancient Engyptians were more technically accomplished than we give them credit for, I find that some of Brennan's claims are bordering on ludicrous. He makes the claim that a set of hieroglyphs that apparently depicts, amongst other things, a helicopter is a sign that ancient Egyptians had sophisticated powered devices at their disposal. He stops short of the claim that Egyptians actually *had* helicopters, but as I see it, you can draw only two conclusions from a helicopter-shaped hieroglyph: either it's an intriguing coincidence that must mean something else, or it actually depicts a helicopter. Sadly, earlier in the book, Brennan reminds us that hieroglyphic is "an actual phonetic script and not simple picture signs" which kind of pours cold water on any claims that these hieroglyphs depict the physical objects they are supposed to represent. The book also jumps between the civilisation of ancient Egypt and overly lengthy histories of people such as Nikola Tesla. OK, I can see the connection with points that Brennan is making, but he spends too much time elaborating on the works of such people and too little explaining exactly what evidence would suggest the Egyptians could have constructed similar technology. In all, a fairly interesting read but I'd advise taking most of Brennan's claims with a pinch or two of salt.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 3:31 PM BST