Profile for RoboScorpion > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Navman F20 In Car GPS Satellite Navigation System With UK Mapping
Navman F20 In Car GPS Satellite Navigation System With UK Mapping

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, good value for money, 25 May 2007
I think the Navman F20 is a good buy. The device is simple to use, the screen is good, the graphics are clear and easy to understand, and the built-in list of places of interest is quite extensive.

Like all SatNavs, this one has maps that aren't quite up-to-the-minute, but until they bring out devices that are automatically updated with road changes over the Mobile phone network, we'll just have to put up with that. (That's a few years off at least, so just don't expect too much!)

My biggest gripe is with the routing - it sends you down too many B roads when you choose Shortest rather than Quickest Route. A bit more intelligence wouldn't go amiss here - maybe a feature that just allows you to avoid motorways, for example. I don't understand people who complain about the voice volume; it's very simple - if you have to rely on a SatNav, just turn your stereo down a notch. And while I'm on the subject, don't switch off your brain just because you've got a SatNav; these things are meant to be useful helpers, they are not meant to replace common sense!

The War Of The Worlds Live : Special Edition [2 disc] [DVD]
The War Of The Worlds Live : Special Edition [2 disc] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jeff Wayne

5.0 out of 5 stars A spectacular show - buy this DVD!, 22 May 2007
If you are a fan of the original recording then this DVD is a genuine, bona fide, 100% "must-buy" item. Even on my modest (by today's standards) 28" TV the visuals really excel and the 5.1 surround sound mix brings the music and effects to life like you've never heard before! (Trust me - if you haven't got a surround sound system, go and buy one just to experience this DVD in all its audio glory!)

As soon as I finished watching the DVD, I went online and bought my tickets to this year's show - I can't wait!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2011 1:18 PM BST

The Cauldron
The Cauldron
by Colin Forbes

1.0 out of 5 stars Just short of total drivel, 7 Feb. 2006
This review is from: The Cauldron (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book and it was only stubborn persistence that got me to the end.

The plot is poor and totally predictable - especially to anyone who's seen the Bond film 'A View to a Kill' for example, released 12 years before this novel was first published. The 'main event' of the novel is signposted for so long, yet the description of it, and its repercussions, takes up less than two pages.

The main characters feature in other novels by the author, so that may be why they are only outline sketches in this book, with little in the way of back-story or substance to any of them, except when it's convenient to the "plot". Other characters come and go without really making a meaningful contribution.

The dialogue is some of the most unrealistic that I've ever read; for example, a character telling another about the merits of his radio: "It's one of the most powerful transmitters in the world - through that aerial which I withdrew after elevating it." Seriously!?! Does anyone actually talk like that?!

The author also has a habit of excessively using a comma where one would usually find the word 'and' or 'then', such as: "The visitor checked the number of banknotes, put them in a bag." OK, I know other authors do this, but in this book the practice seems excessive to the point of annoyance!

My copy of the book ends with summaries of two other Colin Forbes novels, 'Precipice' and 'Fury'. They appear to follow the same formula as this one... Personally, I'll steer clear of them.

Red Book [CD + DVD]
Red Book [CD + DVD]
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker from Texas, 9 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Red Book [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Listening to this album for the first time, I found myself wanting each track to be the last.

Not because the tracks are poor - far from it - I was just afraid that the next track to come might be the 'filler' or the dodgy one that lets the whole album down somehow. After hearing all tracks, it was obvious that no such dodgy/filler track exists; all the tracks here are simply great!

For fans of the excellent 'Hush' and 'White on Blonde' this album is right up there. The accompanying DVD has pleasant live/accoustic versions of 5 tracks and I think this is a nice addition, certainly making the CD/DVD version worth buying if you can.

Colour The Small One
Colour The Small One
Offered by Sent2u

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Excellent, 28 July 2005
This review is from: Colour The Small One (Audio CD)
Like many reviewers, I came to Sia's music having first listened to Zero7. Here, however, Sia does her own thing and anyone expecting more Zero7-esque tracks may be disappointed.

The album is obviously a very personal work for Sia - reflected in the subject matter of 'The Bully' for example - in her own words: "I just wanted to write an album that was me: a small, weird, needy freak. It's a slow burner, but it's honest".

Highlights for me are the simple but addictive 'Sunday', 'Moon', 'The Church Of What's Happening Now' and the up-tempo number, 'Where I Belong'. Also (needless to say) 'Breathe Me' - which has found a fame all its own since featuring on 'Six Feet Under'.

I have to to confess, though, that a couple of tracks just don't do it for me: 'Sweet Potato' and 'Butterflies' are too twee and I can forward-skip past these and not feel I've missed anything.

In all, an album worth having.

HMS "Ulysses"
HMS "Ulysses"
by Alistair MacLean

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - even if you don't like 'war books', 26 May 2004
This review is from: HMS "Ulysses" (Hardcover)
This story of a ship running the North Atlantic Convoys in World War II is one of the author's best works. With every turn of the page you can feel the cold bite more until it seems your fingers will ice to the leaves of the book. The narrative conveys the fear and dread that the sailors must have felt on those terrible journeys, not to mention the immense physical hardships. Even if "war books" are not your thing, this one is well worth a read.

Page: 1 | 2