Profile for Eoin Daly > Reviews

Grandville Mon Amour
Grandville Mon Amour
by Bryan Talbot

4.0 out of 5 stars A strong sequel, but a slight let-down, 1 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Grandville Mon Amour (Hardcover)
I loved Grandville, and was eagerly anticipating this sequel for the further adventures of D.I. LeBroc. Perhaps my expectations were set too high, but I came away with some disappointment from Mon Amour.
The art is as beautiful as ever, darker than the first book. The printing of the book screams quality, though the sticker on the back of my copy fell off when I read the book - not a big deal as I actually wanted to remove it anyway.

The story starts out in Talbot's usual enigmatic way, but from there rather plods along in pretty linear fashion. For me, the 'twist' ending was fairly predictable, and the 'mystery' is no match for the original.

In summary, a quality book, and a good read, but lacking the pace and interest of the first book. If you've read Grandville, temper your expectations slightly and you will enjoy it more.

Lovejoy and Redknapp's Best Of Football [DVD]
Lovejoy and Redknapp's Best Of Football [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Lovejoy
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Just plain awful, 17 Feb. 2010
If there are compilation videos in Hell, they would be presented by Lovejoy and Redknapp

Tim Lovejoy's Football Managers Uncut - A Guide to the Game's Greatest Gaffers [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Lovejoy
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars A car-wreck, 17 Feb. 2010
The thing that makes or breaks these kinds of compilations is the 'presenter' who is waffling away with some pre-scripted nonsense in between clips. if there is some thought put into the jokes and the presenter is likeable, it can improve the overall viewing experience.
Sadly, Tim Lovejoy has the charisma of a placemat and is less likeable than standing in dog doo.
The clips are funny-ish, a lot of them are available elsewhere, including You Tube for nowt.

Philip Mercier Mens Gold Dial Easy Read Strap Watch - SML02/C
Philip Mercier Mens Gold Dial Easy Read Strap Watch - SML02/C

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 5 Jan. 2010
I've only had the watch a week, but have been perfectly satisfied with it thus far.
It looks very nice. The face is clear, simple and classy. It keeps time and date well, and all in all is a very functional watch.
I've had some compliments from people about the design. From a distance, it can pass for a more expensive watch, but when you hold it yourself, you can feel that it's not made as well as it looks.
The buckle is easy to operate, the strap is fine, nothing special, and more 'pleather' than leather, but it does the job.
I haven't tested the water resistance, and to be honest, I don't think I will chance even wearing it in the shower!
Look at the price. my opinion is that if it lasts a year or two, then it's money well spent.

Baby's Very First Book:Faces
Baby's Very First Book:Faces
by John Fordham
Edition: Rag Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, 5 Jan. 2010
This book is good for newborns, but I wouldn't recommend it for infants over three months. My guy loved it at first, but at around the three~four month stage, he got bored with it and prefers other books now.
I like that it's made from crinkly fabric. It keeps baby interested and it's ok for chewing on too.
The price was pretty cheap, and if you're expecting soon, order it now to have it ready. It really will be baby's first book, but like i said above, I don't think it will hold interest after a few months.

Trespass Kazan - Men's Fleece Jacket
Trespass Kazan - Men's Fleece Jacket
Price: £14.99 - £29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, 5 Jan. 2010
This fleece is warm and comfortable. The color (I got khaki) is nice. It washes well. The quality seems to be very good. It's perfect for long walks when you don't want to wear a heavy jacket.
My wife scoffed when I ordered it, thinking it was another cheap thing that I wouldn't wear. Well, she has changed her mind, and got me to order her one too!

Grandville
Grandville
by Bryan Talbot

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking good tale a la Conan Doyle, 20 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Grandville (Hardcover)
This is a really good read set in a dystopian, imaginary parallel universe where animals rule and humans clean up after them. Throw in some revisionist history - What if Napoleonic France had conquered Britain? Mix in some elements of 9/11 attacks and conspiracy theories. Have the conspiracy investigated by a Sherlock Holmes style badger and you are almost there.

superb artwork, great story, and this is a wonderful hardcover edition. Worth buying and deserving of a place in most graphic novel collections. Time may prove this to be a classic, but for the moment, it's simply a barstorming read.

LeapFrog Digital Baby Monitor
LeapFrog Digital Baby Monitor

3.0 out of 5 stars misleading product description, 20 Dec. 2009
This product is OK. The sound quality is fine, and there is no interference.
however, the product description on the main page states
"A gentle nightlight and lullabies are included to calm your baby and there is even a room temperature sensor to alert you if baby's room becomes too warm or cool"

This description evidently only applies to the advanced model which is more expensive. This model has no lullabies or room sensor, and I probably would have ordered a diffent model, maybe the advanced Leapfrog model, had I known this. no wonder I thought it was a such a good deal - all those features for this price - turned out to be too good to be true.

I hope the description is amended and nobody else is caught out. Like I said, it's a perfectly fine baby monitor, but it doesn't have the extra features that made me decide to buy it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2010 3:37 PM BST