Profile for Jemmy Bloocher > Reviews

Content by Jemmy Bloocher

Jemmy Bloocher "Jemmy" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Dinosaur Chase!
Dinosaur Chase!
by Benedict Blathwayt

2.0 out of 5 stars I think the importance of beautiful and even exciting language and story for young children ..., 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dinosaur Chase! (Paperback)
This book has 2 stars purely for the art, which is lovely. However, both the story and prose are entirely uninspired. I think the importance of beautiful and even exciting language and story for young children cannot be overemphasised, to foster a love for stories, language and writing. This does none of these things. It's a great shame. I would recommend that the writer sticks to illustrating, other's work or improving his own actual writing.

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Derivative and poorly executed, 2 Feb 2014
What really galled with this book was how little effort was put into creating the milieu of the story. It is so badly realised that it is the book version of a movie with zero budget. With fantasy and sci-fi a well-developed environment is vital to create a readable story that makes suspension of disbelief possible. Not so here. Also there are so many plot holes to be seen by any discerning reader as to render the final product as just silly. I'd be a bit offended as a teen if my level of sophistication was rounded down to this.

What I Wish I Knew about Health & Fitness: Real Advice from Real People on How to Get Started, Stay Motivated and Make Fitness a Lifetime Habit

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, 25 April 2013
This is a nice compilation of quotes from real people who are sharing their experiences of exercise and what it has done to change their lives. I think it is a good read for someone who is new to exercise, are doing it to lose weight or health reasons and perhaps lacks motivation. I must say I don't think I needed it, but do appreciate that it has been done.

Practice Makes Perfect Complete French Grammar (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
Practice Makes Perfect Complete French Grammar (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
by Annie Heminway

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 23 Feb 2013
Includes all the grammar and verb information you need to pass your standard/A-level. Thorough and well laid out. Use it every day.

How To Pass Higher French including CD (How To Pass - Higher Level)
How To Pass Higher French including CD (How To Pass - Higher Level)
by Douglas Angus

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, 23 Feb 2013
Not in depth enough, but a basic outline of what you need to pass. Use this along with other books.

Ultra Marathon (Training For An Ultra Marathon Book 1)
Ultra Marathon (Training For An Ultra Marathon Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 23 Feb 2013
I wouldn't have given this any stars if that had been an option. It is written by someone who clearly knows little about running, let alone ultra running. Moreover the English is appalling. I assume it isn't the author's first language and she should have written it in her native tongue and got someone to translate. In either instance the substance of the book would make this irrelevant. Buy something else.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Long lasting, 27 Oct 2012
Bought 3 pairs of these shoes after finding out that the soles lasted at least twice as long (probably more like 4x) as shoes that I paid considerably more for. As any parent of a skater will know, it's an expensive hobby when it comes to shoes. These shoes are brilliant. I wish I had bought these much sooner and saved myself hundreds!!!

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
by Dean Karnazes

1.0 out of 5 stars Read this book if you're looking for an example of Super-Ego at its best., 27 Oct 2012
What an insufferable, pompous ass this man is. The writing isn't even very good. You could forgive the man if he managed to write good prose. Carry on running Dean...quietly.

The Testament of Jessie Lamb
The Testament of Jessie Lamb
by Jane Rogers

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring in the extreme, 10 Jan 2012
I have to say that I started thinking about the review of this book based on the fact that I thought it was written for adults. It was I think written for young teens, but as such is still even then only ok. The prose is uninspiring and bland, the characterisations two dimensional with no real depth and moreover the protagonist is someone for whom it is almost impossible to like. Also, why is she approached by a gang of Scots 'neds' in /around Manchester? As a Scot I must say it was rather bizarre, for an English person it must be even worse. There are other 'holes' but, fine.

Unfortunately sometimes the level of writing in children's/teen's books is less tight than for adults and this is a real shame as these books are just as important. Other writers have done this much better. Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series is so far superior as to be in a different league of writing and demonstrates how good children's literature can be. I felt this book wasted my time and money and wouldn't recommend it at all to most people. However if you want something that doesn't challenge you in any way, has characters who are pretty bloody awful and a writing style that is bland in the extreme then go for it! (Most 12 year olds should be beyond this)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2012 9:57 PM BST

Wetlands
Wetlands

1.0 out of 5 stars What more can I add?, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Wetlands (Kindle Edition)
...well, not a lot really. Everything has already been said about this book that needs to be said, I just had to add my one star. This book is poorly written fluff, very little story to speak off, tissue thin characterisation (and a protagonist that it is almost impossible to give a damn about, (whinging self-absorbed girl)with an ending which was ultimately unsatisfying in that it held the key to why it was being written (the innate sadness of the young woman and the tragedy of her upbringing) in the first place and exemplifies why it fails. These things were unexplored really. Roche is pretentious to the extreme to say that this is an exploration of female sexuality. If it is then I am no woman, nor do I know any. Shocking? No. Trash.
Utter tedium. Avoid!!!