Profile for Antigravity > Reviews

Content by Antigravity

Antigravity (London United Kingdom)

FoneM8® - New 2013 HTC One 100% Clear Gel Case Skin TPU Cover - Includes Screen Protector and Microfibre Cloth
Offered by P4mobiles

5.0 out of 5 stars Transparently a good purchase, 4 Jun. 2014
This does exactly what want. A clear plastic casing with a slightly rubbery texture which keeps my HTC phone safely in my pocket and would protect it if it ever fell out. It allows others to see the lovely aluminium casing of the phone. It is very good value and it came quickly.

Collins Gem Turkish Dictionary (Collins Gem)
Collins Gem Turkish Dictionary (Collins Gem)
by Collins Dictionaries

2.0 out of 5 stars When you want a word, it's not there!, 4 Jun. 2014
We needed a small Turkish dictionary and from the reviews on Amazon this seemed ideal. But when we got to to Turkey and wanted to translate Turkish words into English, most times the word wasn't there! For example, we tried looking up 'thank you' and then taking the two Turkish words and translating them back into English - and couldn't do it.

Overall, we found the Turkish/English section more helpful than the English/Turkish section; it more often gave the usage of words in different contexts.

It may be that we were just unlucky. It may be that we did not spend enough time studying the complexity of the language. But next time we go to Turkey, we will look for a different dictionary.

Canon IXUS 265 HSCompact Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 12x Optical Zoom, 24x ZoomPlus, Wifi, NFC) 3inch LCD
Offered by WorldTech UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Canon Ixus 265 doesn't do it., 4 Jun. 2014
I have had a series of Canon Ixus cameras over the years and this is easily the worst. I bought it because my wonderful Ixus 230 had gone AWOL and I thought this would be a suitable replacement. The zoom is good and it takes reasonable pictures in sunshine. But it has a tendency for the colours to be washed out and in poorer light it has an annoying feature that the picture captured on the SD card is poorer than the picture you see on your screen. This was not the case with the 230 which took great pictures in all conditions and what you saw on the screen was what you got on the card. The quality of the 265's body is not bad but it feels as though they have skimped on that too.

The Ixus 265 was a real disappointment and I have returned it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 6:23 PM GMT

WD Elements 2TB USB 2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive - Black
WD Elements 2TB USB 2.0 External Desktop Hard Drive - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Elementary to set up? Yes if it works, 30 Jan. 2011
This 2Tb hard drive has lots of storage space and was easy to set up - the second time round. It transfers data at about 35Gb per hour, which is a little slower than some of the reports on Amazon. I came across a curious problem which may be helpful to know about; when I copied and pasted my 255Gb data from the C drive onto the Elements drive, a system pop-up appeared saying that it would transfer 45Gb in two hours. After two hours it said that it had no more data to transfer and would be finished in ten seconds. But it lied. The pop-up remained on screen for ages (saying no data left to transfer and ten seconds to go). Right-clicking on the Elements drive, then 'Properties' showed that it was still transferring data. It finished in about eight hours.

The first drive that Amazon sent me turned out to be faulty; it couldn't recognise the new drive on my PC or my Laptop. The Western Digital helpdesk were extremely helpful getting me to do lots of tests on my PC, though that took time. After WD admitted defeat, Amazon were fantastically good about taking the dud back and giving me a replacement (which worked) next day - all praise to WD and to Amazon.

So I like my new 2Tb hard drive. It sits beside a 350Gb WD MyBook which I love and I'm sorry that the 2TB Elements has no similar software for automatic back-up, but I have found on MS Vista that there is a facility in MS Vista Control panel called 'Backup and Restore' which I have set up and should back-up automatically. I also like the idea that this drive is small and portable and that it will take a very long time to run out of space.

The Net Delusion: How Not to Liberate The World
The Net Delusion: How Not to Liberate The World
by Evgeny Morozov

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw away those rose-tinted glasses and see the web as it really is, 20 Jan. 2011
For the individual reader, this book will make you think again about giving too many personal details to Facebook. For policy makers it is a refreshing reminder of - or introduction to - reality. Assembling a great deal of fascinating and insightful historic examples Evgeny Morozov (the man is only 26, so he knows his subject incredibly well) demonstrates that new technologies like the telegraph, aircraft, radio, television and the internet are always seized upon by optimists as beneficial instruments to shrink the world and resolve all our problems. War will be impossible. Tryranny will be overthrown.

Yet what is the evidence? The evidence in this readable and thought-provoking book is that the technology may have changed, but man doesn't. Obvious you may say, but we keep forgetting it and we act as if each new technology will be different this time. Radio can be used as propaganda by the bad guys as well as the good ones. The fall of communism in 1989 was not connected with the rise of the internet or with the East Germans pining for the consumer goods they saw on West German television. In fact the evidence is that those within range of West German television were more content and less likely to be disaffected than their compatriots whose aerials could not get the signal. That's why in autocratic countries the internet is not banned (though it is monitored)but is is a useful opiate for the people, giving them propaganda on the one hand and distraction on the other. And as for Twitter fomenting revolution in Iran after the recent elections...

Governments want to make the best use of the internet to improve the world, but there may well be better and more cost-effective ways to do so. We need to preserve some freedom on the internet but we must accept that freedom cannot be without limits. This is an important topic, an enjoyable read and I recommend this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2011 10:23 PM BST

Samsung N140 10.1-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, BT, Webcam, up to 10 Hour Battery Life, Windows 7 Starter, White)

4.0 out of 5 stars Net net it's a good idea, 21 Mar. 2010
It's very light, it looks good, is the size of a hardback book, has a great keyboard, the battery lasts for hours, it's good for typing and accessing the internet - it links straight to my phone via bluetooth. Operating system Windows 7 starter is basic but good.

On the other hand it's quite slow, (I haven't yet upgraded the processor and am not yet ready to spend the extra money,) the free one-year Office package was apparently withdrawn last November (so I am using OpenOffice which is free and works well) and the screen, though high resolution, is smaller than I am used to.

I am getting used to the fact that a net-book is not a note-book and perhaps I should have waited for the next generation - but the time was right. The plan is to take it on holiday, download photos, write a blog, access the net. I am confident that it will do all these jobs fine.

APCOM DIGISCRIBBLE MOBILE DIGITAL PEN
APCOM DIGISCRIBBLE MOBILE DIGITAL PEN

1.0 out of 5 stars Not write on - but write off, 11 Jun. 2009
This product seemed like the answer to my problems. I thought I would be able to handwrite the minutes of meetings, write letters and word documents and then the programme would turn them instantly into beautiful text.

I must pay tribute to the people in the customer support team at Appcom. They tried really hard to help me to get the product to work. I sent them a photo of my handwriting (which is perfectly legible), together with a copy of the script captured on screen (on what looks like a yellow post-it note)accompanied by the jumble of mixed-up words, some legible and some not, that appeared on screen when I converted it to text. Appcom were good. Thanks to them I re-installed the software, they replaced the receiver unit, and I tried various other tips and tricks. However for me, it just doesn't work.

So I can't recommend this unit at all. If you have handwriting which suits the program it may work for you.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Book 5)
by J. K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars Rowling produces a wizard potboiler from her cauldron, 23 Jun. 2003
"Weasley! What's a potboiler?" asked Professor Snape. Hermione put up her hand and waved it about. "I know, sir" she cried. With a look of pity at poor Ron, Snape turned to Hermione. "Enlighten us please," he said. Hermione smiled "It's when an author writes a book which is below her best, in order to keep her publishers and her public happy.".
"Quite right" said the Professor, turning to Harry Potter, who was as usual dreaming of Cho, the attractive young Quidditch player, "So Potter, do you think the Order of The Phoenix will keep the public happy?" A dig from Ron brought Harry back to reality. "Oh yes," he replied, "I think they'll like it. It's a very easy read, it has old characters and new ones and best of all it's very funny. I laughed out loud a number of times."
Neville put up his hand "Well, Potter may like it because he's the hero as usual," he said, "but this book wasn't really about Harry, except for going on about his teenage mood swings. It was really J K Rowling having a go at modern-day British institutions, like the press and incompetent or petty minded bureaucracy in government service and in education. In that regard I think her spells hit some good targets. It isn't the best in the series and could have been cut down a bit in length.” “The problem” said Hermione “was that it didn’t advance the overall series very much. In each of the previous books there has been a development in the relationship between Harry and you-know-who, and there wasn't as much new magic as I would have liked. It sort of kept things on the boil.” (‘Sometimes with real boils’ muttered Ron.)
“So overall, class,” said Snape, do you think it was an enjoyable book? “Oh yes.” said the class as most hands shot up (though Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle were noticeable in having the arms crossed firmly in front.) After the class was over and Professor Snape had left, Harry said to Hermione “I thought that Malfoy and his friends would have been ruder about the book.” “They couldn’t,” said Hermione simply – I put the 'straighjacketus' spell on them so they couldn’t move their arms or speak and they were simply unable to make their objections heard above the general clamour of approval!"